Kerry's platform

ylexot

Super Genius
Finally he says something that I actually like. Although, I do question the cutting of 100,000 contractors. One of the reasons we have so many contractors is a result of the CA studies that replace civil servants with contractor employees. I'm not saying that we can't stand to lose 100,000 contractors, I just don't know. I also like the statement "Cut Federal electricity bill by 20%". Ok, that's easy to say, but I'm not sure how you do it.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by ylexot
Finally he says something that I actually like. Although, I do question the cutting of 100,000 contractors. One of the reasons we have so many contractors is a result of the CA studies that replace civil servants with contractor employees. I'm not saying that we can't stand to lose 100,000 contractors, I just don't know. I also like the statement "Cut Federal electricity bill by 20%". Ok, that's easy to say, but I'm not sure how you do it.

I know 2 ways to cut the electric bill:

1. Turn computers off at night
2. Hire more "dim bulbs"

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by jlabsher
I know 2 ways to cut the electric bill:

1. Turn computers off at night
2. Hire more "dim bulbs"
#1 might work, but right now NMCI tells us to leave the computers on at night so they can do their software admin stuff. Of course, that's not the only stupid thing that NMCI does. There also is (not sure if they still do this) a project to use all those computers at night to do massive computing jobs. Oh yeah, and that won't cut the electric bill by 20%. Computers don't use that much power. I think HVAC is the biggest power draw.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
One of the reasons we have so many contractors is a result of the CA studies that replace civil servants with contractor employees.
CA studies are a tool designed to provide protection for government employees, without them many government jobs would have been contracted out during the Al Gore "Re-inventing Government" era.

Vince

Any way you look at it, if Kerry gets elected you're going to see a sharp rise in unemployment.:yikes:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Vince
Any way you look at it, if Kerry gets elected you're going to see a sharp rise in unemployment.:yikes:

Pffft...shows you what you know...Kerry's going to create jobs.:rolleyes:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
#1 might work, but right now NMCI tells us to leave the computers on at night so they can do their software admin stuff. Of course, that's not the only stupid thing that NMCI does. There also is (not sure if they still do this) a project to use all those computers at night to do massive computing jobs. Oh yeah, and that won't cut the electric bill by 20%. Computers don't use that much power. I think HVAC is the biggest power draw.

Well, if NMCI did tell us to turn them off at night we wouldn't. Even though you turn your computer on in the morning, it would be afternoon before its booted. :wink:

xusnret

Turn off the lights, shut down the computers, kill the HVAC except during working hours and save 20% (maybe)

Pre NMCI IT expenditures $45k/yr for 179 seats

With NMCI IT expenditures $535k/yr for 147 seats PLUS I still pay the $45k but it will go away and be a savings!

C

czygvtwkr

The electricity is easy, go from a 9/80 work schedule to 4 days a week 10 hr days. Replace all CRT monitors to Flat Pannel, and install solar cells on tops of all government buildings.