Kerwin's Tree Service

collie

We had 2 large Oak trees positioned approximately 5-7 feet away from our home. We contacted Kerwin’s tree and stump removal, within a 24 hour period we had an estimate, the trees were down and the stumps were removed. We live in wooded area and have had many trees removed, Kerwin’s estimates are very competitive and the job is done right. We will definitely call them for future services. They are fully insured; as a matter of fact they presented us with a copy of their insurance. I would highly recommend them to anyone! Their phone # is 301-994-9388

7dgirl

called Kerwin this weekend and he gave me a price to remove some trees and stumps. called another tree service also. and the other guy gave me a price 1000 dollars more. so i will be calling kerwin back. not sure why the other guy was so much.

OldHillcrestGuy

Guess I'll be calling them soon. Couple of weeks ago on a breezy day, the top part of a maple I have split in two, with the 2 pieces going different directions. This may have been the largest section, it is about 25 feet up and both pieces are hung up on branches below them and looks like they will never come down without some help of a chainsaw. They are still connected to the tree, but with this large branch split in two like a 'Y'.

Last edited:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Has anyone used Kerwin recently? I'm needing to have some large trees removed and was wondering who I should call to get the job done without getting gouged.

MiddleGround

Does Kerwin repair damage done to lawns after they remove the tress due to their equipment? I notice that none of the tree services (or the well companies for that matter) do it.

Does Kerwin repair damage done to lawns after they remove the tress due to their equipment? I notice that none of the tree services (or the well companies for that matter) do it.
When I used him a few years ago, he didn't make enough of a mess to worry about.

Last year I had Southern Maryland Tree take down two maples in my front yard, he was pretty inexpensive and he did do a "restoration". However, the "restoration" wasn't worth anything. He used some kind of dirt that instantly turned to mud the instant water hit it. Left the ground uneven and full of debris. Worked fast but like a bull in a china shop. His payloader leaked hydraulic fluid badly and I can still smell it in the ground. I'm still looking for someone to clean up his "restoration".

But for the original question, both Jeff's and Kerwin's have very good reputations. I'd re-use either of them.

Last edited:

MiddleGround

When I used him a few years ago, he didn't make enough of a mess to worry about.

Last year I had Southern Maryland Tree take down two maples in my front yard, he was pretty inexpensive and he did do a "restoration". However, the "restoration" wasn't worth anything. He used some kind of dirt that instantly turned to mud the instant water hit it. Left the ground uneven and full of debris. Worked fast but like a bull in a china shop. His payloader leaked hydraulic fluid badly and I can still smell it in the ground. I'm still looking for someone to clean up his "restoration".

But for the original question, both Jeff's and Kerwin's have very good reputations. I'd re-use either of them.

I asked because I have seen several tree companies and almost all well companies leave a dirt mess in people's yards after the job was done. No leveling, seeding... nothing. And people were OK with that.

I asked because I have seen several tree companies and almost all well companies leave a dirt mess in people's yards after the job was done. No leveling, seeding... nothing. And people were OK with that.
I had a new septic system put in and two trees taken down, two different vendors. They filled it back in and made a poor attempt at planting some seed, but in reality, it's not what they do. They aren't landscapers. I wasn't ok with it, but knew I was going to have to call a landscaper anyway.

MiddleGround

I had a new septic system put in and two trees taken down, two different vendors. They filled it back in and made a poor attempt at planting some seed, but in reality, it's not what they do. They aren't landscapers. I wasn't ok with it, but knew I was going to have to call a landscaper anyway.

Window installers don't do house siding either but, if they tear a hole in my siding then I expect them to fix it (or find someone else to fix it and pay for it)

black dog

Free America

I guess with your thinking the plumber / electrician is supposed to repair the drywall he cut out to do a repair.

I guess with your thinking the plumber / electrician is supposed to repair the drywall he cut out to do a repair.
No, but I would expect he call and sub a wallboard guy. I don't expect that same service from a septic jockey digging up my yard.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I would sure as F hope they were professional to leave someone's house the way they found it. If they fix it themselves or call in a sub, people expect these "pros" to complete the job, or at the very least, tell the people up front that they plan on leaving a big mess for them to deal with themselves. ESPECIALLY with the prices some of these guys charge today.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I would sure as F hope they were professional to leave someone's house the way they found it. If they fix it themselves or call in a sub, people expect these "pros" to complete the job, or at the very least, tell the people up front that they plan on leaving a big mess for them to deal with themselves. ESPECIALLY with the prices some of these guys charge today.
I'm quite sure that it will be written on the estimate ( drywall repairs and paint will be done by others )that is signed by the customer before any work is done. Do you really want the plumber , electrician, roofer or other tradesman doing drywall repairs and match the paint in that wall or walls in your home or business?

This is off Angies list website,
Dear Christina: You ask a good, and common, question. The short answer is that you probably don’t want an electrician or plumber fixing a hole in your wall — it’s not their specialty.

My experience is that most plumbers and electricians who’ve earned top ratings from Angie’s List members don’t build this kind of repair work into their bids. They focus on their core competency. Some may repair very small holes, but will likely include that in their bid.
This is something you should talk with your service pro about before you sign a contract or make a hire.

PeoplesElbow

Why would you want to pay the tree service price per hour for someone to sow some grass seed?

Why would you want to pay the tree service price per hour for someone to sow some grass seed?
I've never had any tree service charge by the hour. They give you an estimate for the job and they've always honored the estimate. If it takes them longer, no extra charge to you.

black dog

Free America
So, if a tree fell in your yard and a branch punched through the roof and into a upstairs room and also blew through a window would you expect the roofer to repair the roof trusses , window, drywall and painting?

So, if a tree fell in your yard and a branch punched through the roof and into a upstairs room and also blew through a window would you expect the roofer to repair the roof trusses , window, drywall and painting?
Well now you're just getting into reductio ad absurdum. I'd call my insurance company and let them deal with it.