kidneys

red_explorer

My best friend just sent me an email that the doctors told her they think her kidneys may have shut down. :bawl: She held off going to the doctors even though she was retaining fluids, because she had no health insurance. She is 37.

My husband died at 41 after a long battle with kidney disease.....so you know where my mind is going....she said she didnt want to tell me.

I just want to cry my eyes out.....

lilharley51

lilharley51
My fiancee is going thru the same thing for 6 yrs

My best friend just sent me an email that the doctors told her they think her kidneys may have shut down. :bawl: She held off going to the doctors even though she was retaining fluids, because she had no health insurance. She is 37.

My husband died at 41 after a long battle with kidney disease.....so you know where my mind is going....she said she didnt want to tell me.

We were surprise to in 2005 and he has been on the kidney list since 2005 . All of his family is diabetic and cant give him one. Your friend are in our prayers.We know what she is going thru:bawl:it is not fair for people young that has to go thru this,

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I am very sorry for you and for what your friend is going through. But I'm confused. Why would she not go to the doctor because she had no health insurance? How long does a person have to go before kidneys shut down due to fluid retention? How long does that take? :confused:

I just don't understand. There are ways to see doctors, even if you have little income. Her county health department could have helped her, I'm sure. I have a high deductible health insurance plan and I have NO co-pays. I pay for the whole doctor visit (albeit, a reduced amount due to my plan with Carefirst BC/BS). However, the doctor's charge for the visit is less than $100. A lot of doctors will reduce their charges if someone has no health insurance.

ginwoman

I am very sorry for you and for what your friend is going through. But I'm confused. Why would she not go to the doctor because she had no health insurance? How long does a person have to go before kidneys shut down due to fluid retention? How long does that take? :confused:

I just don't understand. There are ways to see doctors, even if you have little income. Her county health department could have helped her, I'm sure. I have a high deductible health insurance plan and I have NO co-pays. I pay for the whole doctor visit (albeit, a reduced amount due to my plan with Carefirst BC/BS). However, the doctor's charge for the visit is less than $100. A lot of doctors will reduce their charges if someone has no health insurance.

Sounds very similar to the policy on my hubby. It works out pretty good. We are grateful to have it.

red_explorer

3 months that I know of....

She started complaining that her ankles were swelling about three months ago. Her area of North Carolina is very rural, and has pretty poor health care. She held off hoping it was something else.... She is going to be making payments now. Her visit on Friday was $3K. And the doctor gave her a discount since she doesnt have insurance....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
She started complaining that her ankles were swelling about three months ago. Her area of North Carolina is very rural, and has pretty poor health care. She held off hoping it was something else.... She is going to be making payments now. Her visit on Friday was $3K. And the doctor gave her a discount since she doesnt have insurance....

Pardon my ignorance, but it seems to me that something is missing from the story.

A regular office visit for a doctor would not cost 3K. Again, I must be missing something. :confused:

J

jp2854

maybe the doctor did bloodwork and stuff like that. but still shouldn't have costed 3,000.00

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
She needs to get out of podunk and travel to Charlotte or Raleigh or some other city and be seen at a real hospital.

If her kidneys were REALLY shutting down she'd be in a bed somewhere. There's a lot of reasons to get massive swelling in your ankles and legs. My kidneys are in excellent shape but I have 'lazy' veins in my legs and they don't push fluid up like they should, so my legs can sometimes swell up like stuffed sausages.

C

CalvertNewbie

How is your friend doing now? I'm hoping for the best for her. And I'm sorry you lost your husband at such a young age. Hope you're hanging in there.