Kill someone with a gun, do 2 years in jail

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
For some reason when it's a woman doing the shooting/killing, the sentence always seems to be towards the lower end. 2 years actual jail time isn't much for killing someone.

And ladies please be a better boyfriend picker. I have to imagine that there is some DV history that went into this lenient sentence. Can;t get a long, walk away. And don't be getting knocked up by someone that you may intend to off someday soon.

Dead guy has a couple of prior assault charges.

Tiffany Jade Smith, 32, of Waldorf, was sentenced to two years in jail on Monday, June 3, 2019, by Charles County Circuit Court Judge William Greer.

Smith, shot and killed her boyfriend, 37-year-old, Tavon Purnell Matthews, during an argument at their residence in Waldorf, on February 18, 2018.

Court records show Smith entered an Alford plea to manslaughter and possession of a firearm on May 21, 2019.

Tiffany, like the lamp

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Lay down with dogs, get fleas. Lay down with psycho bitches, get dead...

Kinnakeet

For some reason when it's a woman doing the shooting/killing, the sentence always seems to be towards the lower end. 2 years actual jail time isn't much for killing someone.

And ladies please be a better boyfriend picker. I have to imagine that there is some DV history that went into this lenient sentence. Can;t get a long, walk away. And don't be getting knocked up by someone that you may intend to off someday soon.

Dead guy has a couple of prior assault charges.

Tiffany, like the lamp
WHY IS SHE GOING TO JAIL FOR DEFENDING HERSELF WITH A GUN THAT THE 2ND AMENDMENT TELLS US THAT WE HAVE A RIGHT TO CARRY AND HAVE NOW SOCIETY WONT HAVE TO PAY FOR BOYFRIEND HAD HE NOT BEEN SHOT AND WENT TO JAIL.

glhs837

Power with Control
Jeff, some might say that the assumption she was defending herself is just that, an assumption. Might be they argued, she decided that she wasn't arguing anymore, knowing damn well a man with prior assault charges will be assumed to be the aggressor. I'm not saying thats how it played, but if it were straight up self defense, then why the two years?

and why are you yelling?

GregV814

Jeff, some might say that the assumption she was defending herself is just that, an assumption. Might be they argued, she decided that she wasn't arguing anymore, knowing damn well a man with prior assault charges will be assumed to be the aggressor. I'm not saying thats how it played, but if it were straight up self defense, then why the two years?

and why are you yelling?
Well, possessing and killing (after lying her ax’s off) are apples and oranges. Most airhead snowflakes don’t get it, as seen on this post.

CPUSA

WHY IS SHE GOING TO JAIL FOR DEFENDING HERSELF WITH A GUN THAT THE 2ND AMENDMENT TELLS US THAT WE HAVE A RIGHT TO CARRY
She pled guilty to manslaughter, NOT self defense
AND HAVE NOW SOCIETY WONT HAVE TO PAY FOR BOYFRIEND HAD HE NOT BEEN SHOT AND WENT TO JAIL.
Huh? Please clarify this mess...although I'm pretty sure I agree

officeguy

She pled guilty to manslaughter, NOT self defense

Manslaughter is typically the sentence if you raise a self defense claim but it is found to be 'imperfect'.

Huh? Please clarify this mess...although I'm pretty sure I agree

That the decedent was a wifebeating piece of crap and that in the long term, she did society a favor by removing him from the equation.

CPUSA

Jeff, some might say that the assumption she was defending herself is just that, an assumption. No assumptions. It was murder. And she negotiated the very best murder charge one can seek. Might be they argued, she decided that she wasn't arguing anymore, knowing damn well a man with prior assault charges will be assumed to be the aggressor. And seeing his rap sheet, I'm actually good with her decision to remove a societal Cancer.
I'm not saying thats how it played, but if it were straight up self defense, then why the two years? Again, it was MURDER...and she, through her lawyer, negotiated the best possible murder charge one can seek for committing murder.

and why are you yelling?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

And that's why it is known as the "Scales of Justice". It was determined, considering everything, however which way, that her actions did not bear that much weight upon the justice scale thereby rendering such a sentence. His on the other hand, heavily tipped the scale way against him, which, lightened her weight upon the scale a bit in her favor.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If I may ...

And that's why it is known as the "Scales of Justice". It was determined, considering everything, however which way, that her actions did not bear that much weight upon the justice scale thereby rendering such a sentence. His on the other hand, heavily tipped the scale way against him, which, lightened her weight upon the scale a bit in her favor.
Excellent summary.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Manslaughter is typically the sentence if you raise a self defense claim but it is found to be 'imperfect'.

That the decedent was a wifebeating piece of crap and that in the long term, she did society a favor by removing him from the equation.
In Florida, which has a stand your ground law, she may have gotten off with self defense.
In most states you can only use deadly force when your life is in imminent danger and you have no route to escape. Your first option is supposed to be flee. Since Maryland has no stand your ground law, she may have had the option to flee or other options then the use of deadly force.
2 years is basically the minimum sentence that between time served while awaiting trial and time off for good behavior (which they all get) she probably won't see a year. It's the law, we don't have a system of justice.

officeguy

In Florida, which has a stand your ground law, she may have gotten off with self defense.
In most states you can only use deadly force when your life is in imminent danger and you have no route to escape. Your first option is supposed to be flee. Since Maryland has no stand your ground law, she may have had the option to flee or other options then the use of deadly force.
2 years is basically the minimum sentence that between time served while awaiting trial and time off for good behavior (which they all get) she probably won't see a year. It's the law, we don't have a system of justice.

Actually, in MD it is settled in case-law that within your home, you have no duty to retreat from an aggressor. The only difference in SYG states is that any location 'you are legally allowed to be at' is protected in the same way. The outcome here sounds like the jury simply felt bad for her but couldn't agree on an outright acquittal.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Actually, in MD it is settled in case-law that within your home, you have no duty to retreat from an aggressor. The only difference in SYG states is that any location 'you are legally allowed to be at' is protected in the same way. The outcome here sounds like the jury simply felt bad for her but couldn't agree on an outright acquittal.
Yup this. As well as bad dead people tell no tales if they fall dead in your home, or, at times, upon your door step. In addition, there is no duty upon a homeowner to talk to, or explain to, the police, or investigators, what transpired. Leave that to a lawyer. Exercise that right to remain silent. And that 911 call you'll make? Just say an ambulance is needed at your address and leave it at that. Answer no questions.

officeguy

If I may ...

Yup this. As well as bad dead people tell no tales if they fall dead in your home, or, at times, upon your door step. In addition, there is no duty upon a homeowner to talk to, or explain to, the police, or investigators, what transpired. Leave that to a lawyer. Exercise that right to remain silent. And that 911 call you'll make? Just say an ambulance is needed at your address and leave it at that. Answer no questions.

Now this case was apparently a domestic violence situation with both occupants in their home. Neither SYG nor the legal issues surrounding a home invasion have much bearing.