Killer Auctions

mags1320

I live in NC, I was thinking about adopting a horse from one of the local rescue groups but most of them come from the Killer sales, if I take one from the group, that's one more on the auction block that doesn't have a chance. From the research that I've been doing, it's not just the old, diseased, crazy horses that are being auctioned off. I'm trying to find out where these auctions take place, I've heard there's one in Siler City NC but am not sure of when. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
mags1320 said:
I live in NC, I was thinking about adopting a horse from one of the local rescue groups but most of them come from the Killer sales, if I take one from the group, that's one more on the auction block that doesn't have a chance. From the research that I've been doing, it's not just the old, diseased, crazy horses that are being auctioned off. I'm trying to find out where these auctions take place, I've heard there's one in Siler City NC but am not sure of when. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

New Holland PA. Google it. "New Holland Auction" You need to know what you are looking at.

fredsaid2

mags1320 said:

But if you get one from a rescue org that's more funds for them to do what they do best....help the ones that stand a good chance of rehabbing to a useful life. Whichever you choose, best of luck!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
mags1320 said:

I've worked at a couple rescues locally, your helping a horse either way.If you choose to go to the auction, goodluck, It would tear me up not being able to take them all and seeing stuff that I have read about w/r/t how some are treated. :bawl:
If you can save even just one, that's wonderful! :high5:

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
mags1320 said:

:yikes: Siler City Stockyard. I used to hang out there when I was in high school! My parents bought me a horse from there. He had severe hoof rot, so be careful when buying.

Here's the info for the Stockyard:

Carolina Stockyards Company
260 Stockyard Road
Siler City, NC
Horse and Tack Sale - 3rd Tuesday of the Month - Tack at 5:30 p.m. and Horses at 7:30 p.m.
Cattle and Goat Sale Monday at 12:30 p.m. and Friday at 10:30 a.m.
919-742-5665
open M-F 8-5 p.m. and Saturday 8-12 p.m.

mags1320

Busterduck said:
New Holland PA. Google it. "New Holland Auction" You need to know what you are looking at.

I've actually been doing alot of research about it, I found a website with some disturbing photos but it's preparing me for what I will see. (www.http://www.ac4h.com/newhollandauction.htm) do not open if you don't have a strong stomach!!!! I had heard about Siler City but it's actually quite hidden, thanks to the person who posted about it and gave me the info. New Holland is absolutely horrible, if you don't have a strong stomach then check out this site, they're actually doing alot to help the horses and if anyone else is looking to adopt they have alot of good resources so you know you're actually helping them out.

BrassieChic

Busterduck said:

My friend just rescued one that was ON IT'S WAY TO NEW HOLLAND! He's one of the best horses she's ever had! He's only 7 y/o and a real looker!

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
BrassieChic said:
My friend just rescued one that was ON IT'S WAY TO NEW HOLLAND! He's one of the best horses she's ever had! He's only 7 y/o and a real looker!

A large number of New Holland horses are sold to individuals and not to slaughter. Some, unfortunately do go to slaughter. It is very sad. I am glad your friend got a nice horse.

BrassieChic

Busterduck said:
A large number of New Holland horses are sold to individuals and not to slaughter. Some, unfortunately do go to slaughter. It is very sad. I am glad your friend got a nice horse.

It's a shame we can't save them all! :shrug: