Kirk Cousins?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok, so, I assumed it was a no brainer, sign the guy to a really good deal and have some peace and quiet this off season and focus on the OTHER pieces needed to build a SB contender.

But....noooooooooooooooo....

There is NO reason for this guy to do anything but what ALL qb's not named Brady do and that is to get every last penny they can. I can't find what Cousins is seeking but he's gonna get $20 mil for next year if they franchise him. Unless he is seeking something well out of line, more than $20 mil a year and some unheard of guarantee, this HAD to, from the Redskins side, be DONE and done ASAP. It can't get to the speculation state. And, worst of all, it can not stand ONE second of RGIII being here ONE second past March 9. Why he is still here now is beyond me. There is NO reason for anyone to give us a thing for a guy we have to let go. Whose gonna battle for him and for what? A 6th round pick? Maybe?

One year of sanity does not overcome the last 17 years of chaos. This team needs STABILITY and consistency. There is NO better place than to start with QB.

So, if we say the Skins have no reason to let go of Robert until the very last minute in order to extract maximum value, fine. Then that is all Cousins is doing. However, there is NOTHING to be gained by the Skins of any value towards winning a SB is this thing turns messy and everything to be gained to state, clearly, we're set at QB, on to free agency and the draft.

So, is Cousins simply not that good? Are the Redskins being wise to delay? I just do not get it. It's like Snyder has been dieting, seriously, for one year, lost all the weight, went to the gym every day, everything is fabulous and now needs to have a binge and risk throwing all the progress away as some sort of trip down memory lane.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I haven't been following this. Is Alf Morris headed out of town? Not many rookie RBs get 1,600 yards. He was a huge part of the 2012 success. He's now limited in carries per game and never appears to get in the groove that so many of the productive backs get into when they get 20 - 25 carries a game.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I haven't been following this. Is Alf Morris headed out of town? Not many rookie RBs get 1,600 yards. He was a huge part of the 2012 success. He's now limited in carries per game and never appears to get in the groove that so many of the productive backs get into when they get 20 - 25 carries a game.

Gruden does his version of West coast. That means a back who can catch, slash type. We're not a power run team like under shanahan.

Midnightrider

I think they are close, but they are still working out the guaranteed and cap issues. I would expect him to get 3-4 years at about 15m/year total. It is in his best interests to get at least 3 years out of them, and I don't think the skins stand to gain anything by franchising him

Midnightrider

A little more than 24hours left to tag him.....
from what i heard on the radio this morning the skins are offering around 15mil/year and Kirk is asking for about 19. I still bet they get it figured out before the deadline

Larry Gude

Strung Out
A little more than 24hours left to tag him.....
from what i heard on the radio this morning the skins are offering around 15mil/year and Kirk is asking for about 19. I still bet they get it figured out before the deadline

Dalton is avg $16 mil a year, $12 mil sign, $17 guarantee.
Russel Wilson is $31 sign, $60 guarantee, $21.9 year.

It is ridiculous for the Redskins to not value Kirk above Dalton, especially given Dalton's contract is two LONG years ago in NFL time.
I am not arguing for Wilson money but I would take Kirk over Wilson and here is why' Wilson has been playing with one of the best NFL defenses and a monster at RB along with a solid D line. I think Kirk isn't as good a runner but good enough. I think Kirk decides quicker and has Brady-esque upside in terms of the quick attack. Wilson is special because he's the only one of the running QB's that actually works out and that's because he runs, scrambles, to buy time to pass. Cam doesn't do that. He runs to run and you can take that away.

The Redskins NEED to sign him and sign him good, closer to $20 than $15 mil a year and a LOT closer to $60 guaranteed. Call it $30-40 and 3-4 years. If not, Kirk can either play for, what, $20 guaranteed for this coming season as the franchise player and be an FA next year and cost even more or they can figure something else out, sign and trade, what have. The Redskins have NO leverage here. There are maybe 6 teams who would NOT be in line to get him. Brady, Eli, Rogers, Wilson, Cam and Palmer. And Brady ain't getting any younger and Palmer maybe isn't all that.

The Redskins have some stability, for once, and some continuity, for once. QB is simply a position that costs. I mean, come on!

PsyOps

Pixelated
Washington Redskins franchise tag Kirk Cousins

The Washington Redskins used their non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins, the team announced Tuesday. The designation acts as a one-year, $19.95 million contract for the quarterback, who picked a wonderful time to enjoy a breakout season in 2015.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported last week that the Redskins had considered using the transition tag on Cousins, which would have lowered his annual value by about $2 million while also leaving Washington open to another team making an aggressive play on the passer.

Instead, the Redskins take the safer, albeit much more expensive, route. Rapoport said on NFL Network on Tuesday that Cousins plans to sign the deal and take part in the team's entire offseason program.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I do not get this, at all. This team needs STABILITY and consistency and, AND Cousins is, easy, top half of the league.

And then, I remember...it's us. :banghead:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm confused. I thought this is what you wanted.

I quote myself; "The Redskins NEED to sign him and sign him good, closer to $20 than $15 mil a year and a LOT closer to $60 guaranteed. Call it $30-40 and 3-4 years. If not, Kirk can either play for, what, $20 guaranteed for this coming season as the franchise player and be an FA next year and cost even more or they can figure something else out, sign and trade, what have. The Redskins have NO leverage here. There are maybe 6 teams who would NOT be in line to get him. Brady, Eli, Rogers, Wilson, Cam and Palmer. And Brady ain't getting any younger and Palmer maybe isn't all that.

The Redskins have some stability, for once, and some continuity, for once. QB is simply a position that costs. I mean, come on!"

PsyOps

Pixelated
I quote myself; "The Redskins NEED to sign him and sign him good, closer to $20 than $15 mil a year and a LOT closer to $60 guaranteed. Call it $30-40 and 3-4 years. If not, Kirk can either play for, what, $20 guaranteed for this coming season as the franchise player and be an FA next year and cost even more or they can figure something else out, sign and trade, what have. The Redskins have NO leverage here. There are maybe 6 teams who would NOT be in line to get him. Brady, Eli, Rogers, Wilson, Cam and Palmer. And Brady ain't getting any younger and Palmer maybe isn't all that.

The Redskins have some stability, for once, and some continuity, for once. QB is simply a position that costs. I mean, come on!"

I'm thinking this is either the way Cousins wanted it or Snotty isn't completely comfortable with Cousins. The question in that remains... why is RGIII still there?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm thinking this is either the way Cousins wanted it or Snotty isn't completely comfortable with Cousins. The question in that remains... why is RGIII still there?

Business wise, they have until July to sign a deal and they have several days left before letting Robert go. I get all that.
My point is that this organization needs stability, far more, than it needs to the letter business dealings. It needed the self respect for team and respect for Robert to let him go end of season, shake hands, thanks for the memories, good luck, than it needed to hold onto him for whatever scrap they could get. Everyone else knew they'd get NOTHING for him. Now, they're embarrassing the hell out of him proving it. If they just let him go end of season, then they did the right thing at the right time.

As for Kirk, they needed to tell the NFL world, and fans, we have our guy! Period. End of story. To quibble over a couple mil a year at the expense of more shaking heads, more 'what are they thinking!?' is, to me, crazy. As someone on the radio said "The team does this stuff to stay in the news and does NOT need to" and I concur, totally. The LAST thing the Washington Redskins needed was any help with promotion and marketing. On that basis, Snyder is the worst possible owner for us. He should own Jacksonville. We just need a person focused on winning and letting people do their jobs.

Grumpy

Much ado about nothing, Cousins will be signed long term in the next couple months. Gptta love the doom-n-gloom spin the media always puts on all things Redskins. :lmao: Guess its just evolved from all the management stupidity in the first 10 or so years of Snyder's ownership. Other than his bromance with RGme, he's stayed pretty much in the background over the past few years.