Kitchen cabinet question

SailorGirl

So I get up this morning and I have two choices for the project of the day - I can either take down the Christmas tree or start on spring cleaning. I wondered outside for a little bit to ponder this subject; it's warm out today so spring cleaning is obviously the right decision, besides Saint Patrick's day is traditionally the day to take down the tree.

I'm in luck the kitchen is already pretty clean. Or at least it appears to be when I look at it with the only light that's been working for the last ten years. I keep forgetting that GW fixed my overhead lights. So I flipped the lights on. My cabinets are cheap to begin with and the whitish color they used to be are now yellowish. At least on the doors, the frame is still the original color. I thought that maybe the fire I had might have caused that, but they're yellowish on the other side and the fire never got that far.

So I scraped it a little with my nail and the original whitish color is underneath the yellowish color. That's got to be kitchen grease and that grossed me out. I tried a paint scrapper but that scrapped it down to bare wood so I took a hard plastic spatula which worked a little better but is really slow.

Is there a better way to remove built up grease from the doors that won't damage the finish such as it is? I have no idea what that even is besides cheap. Laminate maybe, contact paper, any suggestions on an easier way to do this?

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
You need something to dissolve the grease. I have had great success using a hot bucket of water mixed with a few drops of the original blue Dawn dish soap. Some others are listed in the article below.

PeoplesElbow

Hot water and ammonia work well. For grease stains you need to use an alkaline cleaner such as ammonia, lye, etc. After I suggest rinsing with a small amount of white vinegar in hot water to neutralize.

SailorGirl

I've tried a couple of these things already - the problem is that it's taking the "finish" off. I don't know what the cabinets are made of. Everything I tried "washing" it off with so far is taking me down to bare wood - if that's even what they're made of. The only thing that seems to restoring it back to the original white is scraping it with a spatula and that's really inefficient.

PeoplesElbow

I've tried a couple of these things already - the problem is that it's taking the "finish" off. I don't know what the cabinets are made of. Everything I tried "washing" it off with so far is taking me down to bare wood - if that's even what they're made of. The only thing that seems to restoring it back to the original white is scraping it with a spatula and that's really inefficient.
Not much won't take off cheap ass paint, plain water would probably take off some.