KitchenAid Stand Mixer

pelers

I told my hubby that this is what I want for Christmas. I'm thinking the Pro series 5-quart version. But the 4.5-quart ones are a bit cheaper... is that extra half quart worth $50?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I told my hubby that this is what I want for Christmas. I'm thinking the Pro series 5-quart version. But the 4.5-quart ones are a bit cheaper... is that extra half quart worth $50?
I have the Pro model, and love it. I bake a lot, so I use the hell out of mine on a regular basis. I like the option of mixing small batches of something, but also really like the large capacity of the Pro series. I make a double batch of stiff cookie dough in it with no problem, and I know that I couldn't do that with a less powerful/smaller machine. I picked up an extra bowl so that I can have two things going at once (i.e., making cake in one bowl, the icing in another bowl, or making up two different colors of icings in the different bowls, etc.).

Whatever you choose, I'm sure that you will love it. And there are so many pretty colors out there to enjoy. I have the standard white, and I'd love to get the brushed nickel one when I get to replace it in about 30 years. :lol:

Jameo

What?!
I have the Pro model, and love it. I bake a lot, so I use the hell out of mine on a regular basis. I like the option of mixing small batches of something, but also really like the large capacity of the Pro series. I make a double batch of stiff cookie dough in it with no problem, and I know that I couldn't do that with a less powerful/smaller machine. I picked up an extra bowl so that I can have two things going at once (i.e., making cake in one bowl, the icing in another bowl, or making up two different colors of icings in the different bowls, etc.).

Whatever you choose, I'm sure that you will love it. And there are so many pretty colors out there to enjoy. I have the standard white, and I'd love to get the brushed nickel one when I get to replace it in about 30 years. :lol:

I have the brushed nickel :neener:

but mines in only 4.5q :frown: :lmao:

But Yes, the extra 50 bucks for the 5q is definitely worth it, esp if you do a lot of baking!

lovinmaryland

Kitchen Aid is going to be better than the other models (sunbeam, etc...) so I think if you get the 4.5 you will be fine.

My first KA burnt uplast year right before the holidays. :cds: (literally! I was making dough and it started pouring smoke then pfffft nothin) I had it for 10 years though so I got my $'s worth. I bought a cheapo one to get me through until I got my bonus and it was terrible! I missed my KA so much! I never realized how much I used it until it was gone sniff sniff.

A sneaky little tip is to sign up for a wedding registry at Macy's. You get an additional 10% off anything on your registry. That is on top of all additional coupons. I ended up getting mine ---->KitchenAid KSM150APSCS Stand Mixer, Architect 5 Qt. Tilt-Head - KitchenAid - Kitchen - Macy's for $235 :biggrin:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I'm on my 3rd KitchenAid Artisan Series Stand Mixer. It's the best mixer ever!

Why 3rd- ex-wife took 1st one, ex-girlfiend took 2nd one, I'll be damned if 2nd wife takes 3rd one!

Last edited:

smurfgirl

I love my KA! I only have the 4.5 qt. one and wish I had a bigger one, but it still handles a double batch of cut out cookies no problem! I've had mine 9 years.

don't know how I survived without it

LOVE my Cranberry KitchenAid Artisan mixer! It does everything I ask it to, looks and performs beautifully. If I had met it 27 years ago I would have married it.:notworthy

Cowgirl

We have the 4.5 qt. Got it last year on Black Friday (got a really great price because we pitted Lowe's and Walmart against each other, so Lowe's beat Walmart's price by 10%!). I would love to have the larger one, but this one works for now. I'd also love to have a bowl with a handle. Mine does fine with most stuff but gets a little bogged down with a big batch of dough, so I usually just do dough by hand.

lovinmaryland

We have the 4.5 qt. Got it last year on Black Friday (got a really great price because we pitted Lowe's and Walmart against each other, so Lowe's beat Walmart's price by 10%!). I would love to have the larger one, but this one works for now. I'd also love to have a bowl with a handle. Mine does fine with most stuff but gets a little bogged down with a big batch of dough, so I usually just do dough by hand.

Doesnt that defeat the purpose of having the mixer in the first place? :lol:

Maybe mine has a bigger motor or something because I can do double batches of stiff gingerbread dough no porblem!

Cowgirl

Doesnt that defeat the purpose of having the mixer in the first place? :lol:

Maybe mine has a bigger motor or something because I can do double batches of stiff gingerbread dough no porblem!

Oops, I should have specified bread dough, not cookie dough. If I try to do a batch of dough that will make 4 loaves of bread, it gets bogged down. It seems to handle the 2-loaf batch ok, just not the 4. And I don't mind kneading bread dough. It's a good stress reliever. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Survey says 'yes' especially if you are going to do bread. I have been told that the extra depth absolutely matters.