Kitty Hawk / OBX

lovinmaryland

Heading there next week for vacation... Any recommendations on great places to eat or things to do would be appreciated :buddies:

lovinmaryland

The Black Pelican is in Kitty Hawk! We had a great dinner there and the building has a super cool history!

Goombay's is quirky!

Thanks I'll look into those places.

We went last year as part of our trip down south but we only were in town for one day so we didn't have a chance to do too much. Our hotel was on the sound side, this time we have a beach house so I'm excited to see the beach there!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My favorite OBX restaurant is the Brew Thru. That's a restaurant, right? I think they have chips and stuff there.

Other than that, I'm a fan of Black Pelican because you can sit out on the deck and look at the ocean. Also, Jimmy's has a terrific seafood buffet. Oh, and OBX Taco Bar!

SAWK

The Black Pelican is in Kitty Hawk! We had a great dinner there and the building has a super cool history!

:yeahthat: We hit the Black Pelican the day of arrival and the night prior to departure. I've been going there for over 15 years and it is absolutely our favorite. If you stay at the Sea Dunes complex... the Black Pelican is within staggering distance!

MR47930

Awesome! Thank you! We are actually staying in Norfolk the day before (trying to break up that drive! last year it took us 7 hours to get there :bawl:) and have a few breweries we were going to hit there as well. We always try to hit up at least one while visiting a new place.

Why did it take so long to get there? I can make it from my door to the house we stay at in Corolla in just under 5 hours, which includes a bathroom break on 17.

lovinmaryland

Why did it take so long to get there? I can make it from my door to the house we stay at in Corolla in just under 5 hours, which includes a bathroom break on 17.

I have no clue! :shrug: I was actually going to post asking if anyone knew a faster route. We left our house in Leonardtown @ a little before 10 am and didn't pull into Nags Head until 5 pm.

It wasn't summer season either. It was a Thursday at the end of September. I swear it felt like we hit every freakin light too! :bawl:

MR47930

I have no clue! :shrug: I was actually going to post asking if anyone knew a faster route. We left our house in Leonardtown @ a little before 10 am and didn't pull into Nags Head until 5 pm.

It wasn't summer season either. It was a Thursday at the end of September. I swear it felt like we hit every freakin light too! :bawl:

Hmmm...We usually leave at 3am and I'm eating breakfast at 8am in Corolla.

lovinmaryland

Hmmm...We usually leave at 3am and I'm eating breakfast at 8am in Corolla.

That probably has something to do w/ it :lol: I'm the same way if I'm going on vacation I want to be up early and get to the destination so we have the full day there. We were traveling w/ family last year and they are more of the wake up, grab a bite to eat, iron our clothes, have another cup of coffee, next thing you know its almost the afternoon!

Midnightrider

for things to do, if you have kids take an evening and go climb jockeys Ridge. It is in Kitty hawk and its a free park. Basically a huge dune.
If it rains the wright brothers museum is in kitty hawk too.
You can also take a drive down to Hatteras and climb the lighthouse and then go to one of the public beaches there. that's a full day trip. I am pretty sure there is a light up around Duck too.
You can take a headboat or charter out of Oregon inlet and catch a variety of fish, or you can just show up when the boats come in to see them unload their catches.