knee surgeries

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I just had my second two weeks ago, the first one was about 13 years ago...
I'm curious what others did for pain management during rehab. I'm off the pills from the initial surgery and I'd like to not hurt myself so much so that I'd need them... It's been a long while since I went through this.. how long til I can bend my knee again.. flex my quads.. run..? I was thinking of acupuncture.. never tried it.

oh and my surgery- preop diagnosis- L knee dislocating patella
procedure- Proximal realignment, removal of two screws, (from previous surgury)
I have grade 3 chondromalacia under the patella, which means the cartilage is pretty much worn to nothing. I had a lateral release and he did some Ethibond stitching within the ligaments to stabilize .... lots of stuff I don't quite understand was done but he tightened up my otherwise superhypermobile knee. I am happy he did it.. hopefully I will be good as new..:smile:

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
I feel your pain.

I've had 4 knee surgeries. In 98 I had a left knee scope for a meniscal tear, plyca build up and a bruised bone. In 99 I had a right knee scope for a meniscal tear and plyca build up. In 2000 I had my right ACL reconstructed. In Oct 2006 I had my left ACL reconstructed.

I was able to just push through the pain during rehab and 'man up.' I'd take ibuprofen for swelling, but that was it. I knew that continuing to take the pain killers wouldn't help me, so I just stopped after the pain due to surgery went away.

Ice and elevate as much as you can.

You mentioned acupuncture. I did not try it for surgery - but I've had it done. It really is a great way to manage pain. I would absolutely recommend looking into finding an acupuncturist. You can't go wrong there. It's relaxing and very soothing. I used to get it done at lunch. Nothing beats an hour nap in the middle of the day.

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
And one of my girlfriends had a similar surgery to you in December. I think that she had it December 6th. She had a lateral release and has two or three bio-absorbable screws. She's not had an easy time with this surgery.

I'm not sure if she's babying it because this is her first knee surgery or if she's really having issues making progress. Just this week she finally got to 92 degrees. I was at 92 degrees within two weeks of my ACL recons.

Have you started therapy yet? Has your doctor or PT given you any protocol on what to expect?

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I feel your pain.

I've had 4 knee surgeries. In 98 I had a left knee scope for a meniscal tear, plyca build up and a bruised bone. In 99 I had a right knee scope for a meniscal tear and plyca build up. In 2000 I had my right ACL reconstructed. In Oct 2006 I had my left ACL reconstructed.....

WOW :huggy: It makes you tough, huh..

And one of my girlfriends had a similar surgery to you in December. I think that she had it December 6th. She had a lateral release and has two or three bio-absorbable screws. She's not had an easy time with this surgery.

I'm not sure if she's babying it because this is her first knee surgery or if she's really having issues making progress. Just this week she finally got to 92 degrees. I was at 92 degrees within two weeks of my ACL recons.

Have you started therapy yet? Has your doctor or PT given you any protocol on what to expect?

I have started to bend it.. a little early. I had my first postop appt. tues, not quite 2 weeks out. He said I was doing well.. was a little browbeat for walking early on it. I was supposed to just weightbear on the toe. (not possible with two little boys) But my husband has PT and is bringing home the stem to 'wake up' my muscles and begin exercises. I would like to be at 90 deg. by the end of the weekend.. everyday is better and better.

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
Just be careful ... don't push yourself TOO much. Overdoing it could be detrimental.

Do you have an exercise bike?
If so, hop on and rock back and forth. Keep doing that and you'll eventually be able to get the pedals all the way around. It's a great way to get your knee moving, good stretching for your hammy and quad, and it's teaching control again!!!

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Just be careful ... don't push yourself TOO much. Overdoing it could be detrimental.

Do you have an exercise bike?
If so, hop on and rock back and forth. Keep doing that and you'll eventually be able to get the pedals all the way around. It's a great way to get your knee moving, good stretching for your hammy and quad, and it's teaching control again!!!

no bike, but a gym right down the road... I hated PT the last time around.. but this has been an easier recovery so far. I am actually looking foward to toning back up as well as rehabing the knee...

ShyGirl

I dislocated my kneecap on Christmas.

Couldn't get in to see the doc until after New Years, so I asked my acupuncturist to treat it. She's awesome! Far away (Arlington, VA) but worth the trip!

I've only had a little bit of an ache behind my kneecap since then and usually it's the result of moving wrong.

I have had all scopes with meniscus removal, calcium/plica buildup removal total of 5X...

You will not hurt it by moving it, all but 1, I walked out of surgery in a brace - never used crutches. It hurts like hell about 2-3 days afterwards...

I used Motrin and iced it down, kept it elevated... electrical stimulation treatment at rehab worked on the edema.

I swear, by walking on it (in a brace) was the best thing I could have done - mind you I had NO ligament/tendon repair.

Katt

no bike, but a gym right down the road... I hated PT the last time around.. but this has been an easier recovery so far. I am actually looking foward to toning back up as well as rehabing the knee...

Be very careful! don't you have a doctor telling you what you can do and a Rx for PT? My daughter had the lateral release and the inner quad brought overtop her knee cap to ancher it down into the groove better. Her's had dislocated about a dozen times before we went to surgery. She still needs her other one done, but that'll have to wait until she fully recovers in a year or so, so she'll be able to stand on that one while the other one is recovering. She was in a brace that gradually let her bend her knee over 6 weeks. NO WAY, should you be bending your knee at 90 degrees by the weekend!!! You need at least a month post op before that happens. I'm sure your doctor won't leave you out in the dark about your recovery and what you can do. I think my daughter's 2 week post op visit, she was only bending at most, 30 degrees. Who was your doctor?

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Be very careful! don't you have a doctor telling you what you can do and a Rx for PT? My daughter had the lateral release and the inner quad brought overtop her knee cap to ancher it down into the groove better. Her's had dislocated about a dozen times before we went to surgery. She still needs her other one done, but that'll have to wait until she fully recovers in a year or so, so she'll be able to stand on that one while the other one is recovering. She was in a brace that gradually let her bend her knee over 6 weeks. NO WAY, should you be bending your knee at 90 degrees by the weekend!!! You need at least a month post op before that happens. I'm sure your doctor won't leave you out in the dark about your recovery and what you can do. I think my daughter's 2 week post op visit, she was only bending at most, 30 degrees. Who was your doctor?

My doc is Dr. Newcomb of First State Orthopaedics in Wilmington, Delaware. He is the best. Since I am so far away, it's hard to cancel and reschedule appt.s. Plus, they are an extremely busy/popular practice so if I cancel and reschedule, I may have to wait a couple weeks. So long story short... I was seen for my postop appt. by another doc that apparently was present for my surgery... so they say.. I don't remember. He is the one that told me I have to start bending and flexing my quads. And gave me the script for PT... which my husband is taking care of.

Katt

My doc is Dr. Newcomb of First State Orthopaedics in Wilmington, Delaware. He is the best. Since I am so far away, it's hard to cancel and reschedule appt.s. Plus, they are an extremely busy/popular practice so if I cancel and reschedule, I may have to wait a couple weeks. So long story short... I was seen for my postop appt. by another doc that apparently was present for my surgery... so they say.. I don't remember. He is the one that told me I have to start bending and flexing my quads. And gave me the script for PT... which my husband is taking care of.

Wow, that's a long way to go for treatment. We had Dr. Henderson from So. MD orthopedics in Leonardtown. He was great and would reccomend him to anyone. NovaCare right next door to his office was our PT. The ladies there were very nice. My daughter just had her surgery in November and is now just finished her therapy and doing better. not a hundred percent, but it'll take a long time to get there. I hope you find relief. My daughter is still taking motrin occasionally for her aches and pains in her knee. No more dislocating knee cap! Yeah. Feel better! Cya