Knife sharpening set up

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm looking to upgrade the knife drawer and a way to keep them sharp. I have the generic hone that came with my Henkels knives but I'm looking for sharp and by sharp I mean split frog hair sharp. Any recommendations or ones to avoid? All blades will be smooth with no serration.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm looking to upgrade the knife drawer and a way to keep them sharp. I have the generic hone that came with my Henkels knives but I'm looking for sharp and by sharp I mean split frog hair sharp. Any recommendations or ones to avoid? All blades will be smooth with no serration.
If you're looking at electric, I've read and heard good things about Chefs Choice Trizor sharpener.

If going with stones, a friend of mine uses lansky sharpening stone kits.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've tried a number, but always go back to the sharpening stick that came with my first set of Henkels 40 years ago.

Road King

Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition - You can even get it from the Snap On man

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I use this one I bought last year. Works great if you're willing to spend the time. Comes with an e-book with lots of great instructions and tips.

Amazon product

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Were I once lived, there was a grinder store. Dude ran the knives over a huge wheel a few times. After that you could perform surgery with them after that. I don't think those places exist anymore. I never see them around.

UglyBear

Dude ran the knives over a huge wheel a few times. After that you could perform surgery with them after that.
Through the generous graces of @SailorGirl , I now possess one of those huge sharpening wheels. During moving the cast-iron axle fell apart, and I will need to put together a stand (the original was dry-rotted through and through).

I need a new project like a new hole in the head, but if I was more entrepreneurial and less tired I would bring together the need for sharpening services (@Sneakers thread) and this wheel. Mad money in it, I heard. :starcat:

when SHTF and we are back at bartering economy, that’s how I will survive.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
None better

Clem72

Too many high tech options. A ceramic hone to work out burs and chips and get sharp enough to shave, and a $10 strop if you need to horizontally slice a tomato paper thin. Don't use a steel hone, and google the technique if you cant get sharp or are taking more than 10 seconds to do so.

Bonehead

None better
You have to have a light touch otherwise you remove a lot of material pretty quick !

Bonehead

Through the generous graces of @SailorGirl , I now possess one of those huge sharpening wheels. During moving the cast-iron axle fell apart, and I will need to put together a stand (the original was dry-rotted through and through).

I need a new project like a new hole in the head, but if I was more entrepreneurial and less tired I would bring together the need for sharpening services (@Sneakers thread) and this wheel. Mad money in it, I heard. :starcat:

when SHTF and we are back at bartering economy, that’s how I will survive.
When you get that done UB post some photos please.