Korean War vet's dying wish to walk his ships deck

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Gerald Bowman: Korean War veteran, 82, with only a year to live granted dying wish to walk the deck of ship her served | Mail Online

Korean War veteran Gerald Bowman gamely walked up the gangplank to board the ship he had not seen in almost six decades.

The 82-year-old is suffering from congestive heart failure with only about a year to live and his dying wish was to walk the decks of the USS Laffey on which he served four years, including three tours off Korea.

Wearing a USS Laffey hat, he led reporters through the ship at the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum on Charleston Harbor Friday, stopping by his old bunk and then into the engine room where as a machinist mate he worked, sometimes in sweltering temperatures of more than 120 degrees.

RAT969

USS Laffey DD724 was moored at Solomons for many years.
I believe the 2nd most decorated ship in WW2.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Gerald Bowman: Korean War veteran, 82, with only a year to live granted dying wish to walk the deck of ship her served | Mail Online

Korean War veteran Gerald Bowman gamely walked up the gangplank to board the ship he had not seen in almost six decades.

The 82-year-old is suffering from congestive heart failure with only about a year to live and his dying wish was to walk the decks of the USS Laffey on which he served four years, including three tours off Korea.

Wearing a USS Laffey hat, he led reporters through the ship at the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum on Charleston Harbor Friday, stopping by his old bunk and then into the engine room where as a machinist mate he worked, sometimes in sweltering temperatures of more than 120 degrees.
:yay: :yay:

USS Laffey DD724 was moored at Solomons for many years.
I believe the 2nd most decorated ship in WW2.

I don't think so, maybe it was the most hit with kamikaze crashes (something like 5), but it's honors received were the US Presidential Unit Citation and five battle stars for World War II service, the Korean Presidential Unit Citation and two battle stars for Korean War service, and the Meritorious Unit Commendation. Still a significant history. :yay:

mamatutu

mama to two
Misfit, just your thread title gave me goosebumps. Thanks for posting this story. That is why I like this forum so much; such a wealth of information that I would never have time to find on my own. Thank you, Gerald Bowman, for your love of America, and your choice to risk your life to keep us safe. You are a true patriot to the end. :patriot:

Last edited: