Labor laws for a 16 yer old

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I do not want to assume the employer will follow the rules. From the DLLR website:

Minors 16 and 17 years of age:
•May not spend more than 12 hours in a combination of school hours and work hours each day.
•Must be allowed at least 8 consecutive hours of non-work, non-school time in each 24 hour period.
•May not be permitted to work more than 5 consecutive hours without a non-working period of at least 30 minutes.

I get the first point, she's in school for 6 hrs and 45 mins so technically she can work no more than 5 hrs on a school day.
For the second point, is the 8 hours of non-work time mean the time after they get off work until they go to school the next day?
Third point I understand as well.

TIA.

glhs837

Power with Control
That's how I would read number 2. Get out of school at 3pm, work at say 4pm for five hours til nine (with a 30 minute break, could go a little more, but not enough to be worth it) then you have to have eight hours free. Sleep hour count as free hours.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I do not want to assume the employer will follow the rules.

there are expensive penalties for businesses working teens more than the rules allow ... even if they WANT TO

don't be shy about filing complaints - being mindful mistakes do happen
- supervisors lose track of time in a rush, but it is the businesses responsibility to get your child off of the clock

MR47930

When I was 16 (not that long ago) I went to school all day and then worked night shift 4pm-midnight, went home and started over again the next day. My parents didn't call the law and get their panties in a bunch. I wanted to work, I wanted to make money so I could drive and go out on weekends.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
there are expensive penalties for businesses working teens more than the rules allow ... even if they WANT TO

don't be shy about filing complaints - being mindful mistakes do happen
- supervisors lose track of time in a rush, but it is the businesses responsibility to get your child off of the clock

She will be starting her job search shortly once we get the vehicle issue squared away. My niece has an employer that "oops, I thought minimum wage was $7.50". Uh really? You're paying everyone else the correct wage. My sis-n-law put a stop to that quickly.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My parents didn't call the law and get their panties in a bunch. I wanted to work, I wanted to make money so I could drive and go out on weekends.

:yay:

it depends on the business;
... a local store not so much
... an Fortune 500 listed Theme Park Company ... yeah very much especially in states like Cali and NJ ...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I was 16 (not that long ago) I went to school all day and then worked night shift 4pm-midnight, went home and started over again the next day. My parents didn't call the law and get their panties in a bunch. I wanted to work, I wanted to make money so I could drive and go out on weekends.

That was me, too, but I was 16 36 years ago. :lol: If we had teen labor laws back then, I wasn't aware of them.

MR47930

That was me, too, but I was 16 36 years ago. :lol: If we had teen labor laws back then, I wasn't aware of them.

If nothing else it made me realize what my life would be like without an education or a certain skill set. Eventually I left that job to work at a golf course because I thought golf was fun so working for a course must be awesome (wrong!). Talk about labor laws, that place had me starting at 3am in the summers and I was lucky to get home before 7pm. It was that job that made going to college a no brainer.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The higher minimum wage and the rules to follow for minors makes it more and more difficult for young people to get jobs. I lucked out with one person I hired while she was in high school and eventually went to college.
I tend to hire more *mature* and experienced people as a rule. $8.25 is a lot to start someone out that has never worked before, who may not understand the responsibilities of having a job and/or work ethic. I also encounter many students that come in with no transportation or who automatically tell me when they are not available due to school schedules and sports.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
The higher minimum wage and the rules to follow for minors makes it more and more difficult for young people to get jobs. I lucked out with one person I hired while she was in high school and eventually went to college.
I tend to hire more *mature* and experienced people as a rule. $8.25 is a lot to start someone out that has never worked before, who may not understand the responsibilities of having a job and/or work ethic. I also encounter many students that come in with no transportation or who automatically tell me when they are not available due to school schedules and sports.

It's hard if they want to play a sport but work in order to make at least gas money. We may be in that position soon with Spring sports.