Labradoodle info, please...

mamatutu

mama to two
We just put a deposit down for a 2 week old Labradoodle female pup that we will call Daisy Doodle Dog! We can't pick her up until May 2. The mom of this litter is a double doodle mated with a poodle. She is a multi-generational offspring so supposedly even more hypo allergenic. I can still get out of the contract if we made the wrong choice. We have always rescued from shelters forever, but our daughter suffered so much from dog allergies. We have to look ahead and know she will babysit the dog if we go away, or if we visit, we would bring the dog over. She will be getting a Labradoodle of her own after her first child is born. We all did a lot of research on hypo allergenic dogs and settled on a Labradoodle.

If anyone here has experience/knowledge about Labradoodles, any info would be appreciated. TIA.

Attachments

• daisy.jpg
    daisy.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm a big fan of the designer mutt (just ask my Schnoodle :jet:) and Labradoodle is a good combination. Supposed to be great dogs. Just make sure it's a reputable breeder so you don't get an incest dog with bad genes.

mamatutu

mama to two
I'm a big fan of the designer mutt (just ask my Schnoodle :jet:) and Labradoodle is a good combination. Supposed to be great dogs. Just make sure it's a reputable breeder so you don't get an incest dog with bad genes.

Agree. Her website says she is AKC, and all that. This is where we bought the pup from. http://frenchbluebulldogs.com/. My daughter lives in Olney which is much closer so she went to pick out our pup yesterday. It is a family dog after all. :lol: We are paying $1250 for this dog. :faint: We eliminated the puppy mill feedback; especially in PA. And, looked at some other breeders that are even more expensive. We did a search for reviews on this breeder, but found nothing. I have felt guilty that I am not adopting from a shelter. But, life is change. I didn't know Apollo was a Schnoodle. He really is adorable. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
Also, I want to say that I never thought I would want another pet in my life after losing my 4 furry bestest friends after 15 years of loving them, but I have to have a BFF (best furry friend) in my life. They complete me. Rest in peace Oreo, Cookie, Tommy and Sox. I loved you more than you will ever know. Sorry, but I had to post this. Changing the sheets on the bed tonight is still hard because Tommy used to love that game to jump under the sheets and get on his back and put is legs straight up like a tent. Oreo was the mom dog and took care of all the others by licking their ears and sleeping next to them. Cookie was our scaredy dog and would come to us when she was afraid. Sox was deaf and clueless and such a dear when he would knock things down to get our attention. Tommy was a snugglebug in your neck from the day the tri county just gave him to us without due process because we were well known for adopting. I miss my dear animals of all those years, but life goes on. I just miss them so much. And, before these pets I had a cat for 21 years, Kitty (that I found in a tree in my front yard in NOLA), and a dog for 18, Taffy (that my HS school boyfriend gave me), plus dogs/cats that my parents got when I was growing up. I think of them now. Reggie (standard beagle), Schnitzel (dachshund), Goldie (golden retriever), Blackie (a stray that showed up at our door), Pandy (a black/white cat that showed up at our hunting site), and Charlie the cat that just showed up and can't remember why. Thanks for reading this. I just remembered Thomas, too. He was another stray when I was growing up. I also just remembered that my father's dog, Skipper, a collie, was poisoned by a neighbor back in the 40's. Sad. I guess we are just an animal family until the end. :smile:

Edit: I also should mention how excited we are to get Daisy Doodle Dog. I just have mixed emotions, unless we get feedback that ends the deal. But, as I said, life goes on.

And, then there is Gino (Belgian Malinois) of my brother's dog who is the current prince of the family. He had Scarlett, Australian cattle dog that died last year at 16 and then found this beauty. Gino was a rescue. He failed doggie school. My brother lives in TX and went to
Arizona to get him, and paid quadruple the money that I am paying for Daisy. :faint: My brother has bought 300 acres in mid TX to build a compound. Yes, a prepper. He has been working on it for 5 years. He is self sufficient, and built us a bedroom. :yay: Gino fits right it to that scenario. One big happy family. :lol:

Ok. Sorry. I am done. Thanks again for reading.

Attachments

• gino1.JPG
    gino1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Also, I want to say that I never thought I would want another pet in my life after losing my 4 furry bestest friends after 15 years of loving them, but I have to have a BFF (best furry friend) in my life. They complete me. Rest in peace Oreo, Cookie, Tommy and Sox. I loved you more than you will ever know. Sorry, but I had to post this. Changing the sheets on the bed tonight is still hard because Tommy used to love that game to jump under the sheets and get on his back and put is legs straight up like a tent. Oreo was the mom dog and took care of all the others by licking their ears and sleeping next to them. Cookie was our scaredy dog and would come to us when she was afraid. Sox was deaf and clueless and such a dear when he would knock things down to get our attention. Tommy was a snugglebug in your neck from the day the tri county just gave him to us without due process because we were well known for adopting. I miss my dear animals of all those years, but life goes on. I just miss them so much. And, before these pets I had a cat for 21 years, Kitty (that I found in a tree in my front yard in NOLA), and a dog for 18, Taffy (that my HS school boyfriend gave me), plus dogs/cats that my parents got when I was growing up. I think of them now. Reggie (standard beagle), Schnitzel (dachshund), Goldie (golden retriever), Blackie (a stray that showed up at our door), Pandy (a black/white cat that showed up at our hunting site), and Charlie the cat that just showed up and can't remember why. Thanks for reading this. I just remembered Thomas, too. He was another stray when I was growing up. I also just remembered that my father's dog, Skipper, a collie, was poisoned by a neighbor back in the 40's. Sad. I guess we are just an animal family until the end. :smile:

Edit: I also should mention how excited we are to get Daisy Doodle Dog. I just have mixed emotions, unless we get feedback that ends the deal. But, as I said, life goes on.

And, then there is Gino (Belgian Malinois) of my brother's dog who is the current prince of the family. He had Scarlett, Australian cattle dog that died last year at 16 and then found this beauty. Gino was a rescue. He failed doggie school. My brother lives in TX and went to
Arizona to get him, and paid quadruple the money that I am paying for Daisy. :faint: My brother has bought 300 acres in mid TX to build a compound. Yes, a prepper. He has been working on it for 5 years. He is self sufficient, and built us a bedroom. :yay: Gino fits right it to that scenario. One big happy family. :lol:

Ok. Sorry. I am done. Thanks again for reading.

feel free to have your brother send me his dog!!! :biggrin:

anyway... on to your dog. I don't have an issue with anyone purchasing a dog for a real purpose (I don't see you going into backyard breeding).

but the only worry I have is this breeder has "many" breeds of dogs that they breed. Have you gone to visit the facilities? met with the people? seen the conditions where the dogs are going to be whelped? How about any records of the breeders doing any certifications on hips, elbows, eyes and hearts?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
hate to say it but I checked out the website and didn't get the real warm and fuzzy about this breeder. Its mostly text and generic text at that.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Mamatutu -- Maryland law requires pups stay with mom until they are 8 weeks old. If you are able to pick this pup up May 2nd, will she/ he even be 7 weeks old? What is the exact birthday?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Mamatutu -- Maryland law requires pups stay with mom until they are 8 weeks old. If you are able to pick this pup up May 2nd, will she/ he even be 7 weeks old? What is the exact birthday?

see.... yet another reason im worried about this breeder.

the breeder I use for my hounds is amazing... she posts the puppies weekly and also states what she is doing with all of her dogs. all of her dogs are both working and show lines.

Palominolover

Red flags on her website to me. First of all, the crosses she is breeding will not be AKC registered. AKC does not recognize crosses. Maybe she means the original parents are AKC registered.

There is no such thing as a mini French Bulldog. Plus she is breeding colors that are not acceptable and have health issues such as the Blue.

Looks like she has way to many breeds.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

Red flags on her website to me. First of all, the crosses she is breeding will not be AKC registered. AKC does not recognize crosses. Maybe she means the original parents are AKC registered.

There is no such thing as a mini French Bulldog. Plus she is breeding colors that are not acceptable and have health issues such as the Blue.

Looks like she has way to many breeds.

:dingding:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Pencil me in for the "leery" side.
Mama, have you looked at the www.petfinder.com rescue site? You can type in what you are looking for and how far you are willing to travel. The rescue route may include a fenced yard and a home inspection. Even if they are far away, many rescues have contact people that can do the inspections. (For instance, I have done them in St Mary's Co for a rescue out of D.C.)
I am glad you are willing to open your heart and home to another fur child. Please think long and hard about your decision. This "breeder" sounds like bad news.

spinner

I groom several doodle dogs and there can be a huge difference in their coats, even in dogs from the same litter. A few of the ones I groom shed like crazy. They need frequent grooming, they are really cute but all that coat mats up. They tend to be a bit on the hyper side and need some obedience training.
I wanted to ask though, why a doodle dog and not just get a Standard Poodle? You would know pretty much what you are getting genetic-wise [or as much as you can], they have great personalities, and are considered low-shedding. Hypo allergenic s just a catch phrase I think, I believe allergies have as much to do with dander and what is on the dog's skin as much as shedding. But I could be wrong.

Roman

I am happy to hear that you are opening your home, and your heart to another animal. They never take the place of the others that have passed on, but they do make their own place in our hearts. As everyone has posted here, make sure you do your research Mama. If you do decide on getting that puppy, make sure that you take it to the Vet immediately, and also make sure there is something in writing about being able to bring the pup back if anything is found to be wrong with it. She is adorable by the way, and your Brother's dog is beautiful.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Hypo allergenic s just a catch phrase I think, I believe allergies have as much to do with dander and what is on the dog's skin as much as shedding. But I could be wrong.

^^This. Please don't put so much emphasis on "hypoallergenic" dogs. There's a huge range of types of shedding with all dogs, but you will never find a completely dander-free dog. Some yuppie thought that phrase up and everyone just goes along with it bc it's the cool thing to have.

I'm not crazy about labradoodles because I prefer a simple Lab, I'm not into poodles. Poodles seem high maintenance with their coats anyways, so I guess I don't understand how crossing them with a lab suddenly makes them maintenance-free or low-maintenance :shrug: BUT a good friend of mine is a vet in NY and she has a labradoodle and she seems to have a wonderful personality. Very active (that's the lab in them) but she's a sweetie. My vet friend also has a thing against buying a dog simply bc they're "hypoallergenic". She's always harping about people complaining about the labradoodles shedding bc they thought hypoallergenic meant no shedding. :nono:

There's tons of low maintenance, low dander fun breeds for you. Have you talked to Kwillia about schnauzers? All the women in my family have mini schnauzers and go on and on about what great companions they are. They too are low shedders/dander and they hit up the doggie spa once every two months or so for a bath and clipping :smile:

I, too am leery with that website. Sorry, mama. Something just seems off with them. They've "made up" a couple of their own breeds, that much $$ deserves an AKC heritage/parents, and their website is atrocious from a business standpoint. But before you just take back your deposit, I'd strongly suggest going and visiting the place yourself with these suggestions in mind. I'm sure no matter what, Daisy Doodle will be a pleasure and a joy once you have her, but for all that money, it seems you're getting a mixed bag. I'm an advocate for shelter dogs AND pure-bred dogs but if I'm going through a breeder, every penny had better be worth it.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
^^This. Please don't put so much emphasis on "hypoallergenic" dogs. There's a huge range of types of shedding with all dogs, but you will never find a completely dander-free dog. Some yuppie thought that phrase up and everyone just goes along with it bc it's the cool thing to have.

I'm not crazy about labradoodles because I prefer a simple Lab, I'm not into poodles. Poodles seem high maintenance with their coats anyways, so I guess I don't understand how crossing them with a lab suddenly makes them maintenance-free or low-maintenance :shrug: BUT a good friend of mine is a vet in NY and she has a labradoodle and she seems to have a wonderful personality. Very active (that's the lab in them) but she's a sweetie. My vet friend also has a thing against buying a dog simply bc they're "hypoallergenic". She's always harping about people complaining about the labradoodles shedding bc they thought hypoallergenic meant no shedding. :nono:

There's tons of low maintenance, low dander fun breeds for you. Have you talked to Kwillia about schnauzers? All the women in my family have mini schnauzers and go on and on about what great companions they are. They too are low shedders/dander and they hit up the doggie spa once every two months or so for a bath and clipping :smile:

I, too am leery with that website. Sorry, mama. Something just seems off with them. They've "made up" a couple of their own breeds, that much $$ deserves an AKC heritage/parents, and their website is atrocious from a business standpoint. But before you just take back your deposit, I'd strongly suggest going and visiting the place yourself with these suggestions in mind. I'm sure no matter what, Daisy Doodle will be a pleasure and a joy once you have her, but for all that money, it seems you're getting a mixed bag. I'm an advocate for shelter dogs AND pure-bred dogs but if I'm going through a breeder, every penny had better be worth it.

I have lucked out with the shelter dogs so far.... but I have spent over a YEAR researching breeders of Malinois. I have interviewed several breeders to narrow them down. I have no issue paying 1800 plus for one of the top breeders pups because I know they are breeding for the right reasons.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I have lucked out with the shelter dogs so far.... but I have spent over a YEAR researching breeders of Malinois. I have interviewed several breeders to narrow them down. I have no issue paying 1800 plus for one of the top breeders pups because I know they are breeding for the right reasons.

I believe my friend from college has a pure bred malinois. She's up in Annapolis. I can ask her where she got hers from, as her pup's maybe a year and a half old now. He's a beauty. She also does all that professional dog training with those protective sleeves...he's a freakin' machine.

Also, everyone should remember shelter dog does not necessarily mean "mutt" or pit bull. I've seen anything from GSDs to labradoodles to yorkies. Maggie came from tri-county at one point and she's for sure a Shiba Inu, no mix in there. Granted she doesn't have papers claiming royal parents but shibas in the US tend to come from puppy mills :ohwell: most don't have papers.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I believe my friend from college has a pure bred malinois. She's up in Annapolis. I can ask her where she got hers from, as her pup's maybe a year and a half old now. He's a beauty. She also does all that professional dog training with those protective sleeves...he's a freakin' machine.

Also, everyone should remember shelter dog does not necessarily mean "mutt" or pit bull. I've seen anything from GSDs to labradoodles to yorkies. Maggie came from tri-county at one point and she's for sure a Shiba Inu, no mix in there. Granted she doesn't have papers claiming royal parents but shibas in the US tend to come from puppy mills :ohwell: most don't have papers.

OMG... please.... we have a good breeder here in the tri county area... her dogs are OFF THE HOOK .....

where does she train at??