Labradoodle info, please...

Midnightrider

Look. I actually agree with you....in a sense, you're just being a dick bc it's your way or the highway. Yes, working dogs need "jobs", they need activities to wear them out. Yada yada yada. :blahblah: Every breed has it's standards and every dog has it's own personality. Not every working dog needs a fenced in yard to "survive" and not every dog gets lazy fat and destructive when left to their own devices. I've owned plenty of "working dogs" Labs, weimaraners, etc. :rolleyes: they're all different and responsible owners know to adjust. Kookoo might be a quack but at least she's an animal-loving quack. Therefor I could care less what kind of dog she gets bc I know she'll properly care for it no matter what.

And for crying out loud stop equating no fences with irresponsible pet ownership. I live in a condo and my dog does just fine when I let her out the back (ground level unit) and watch her from my porch as she goes leash-less over to the tree line to do her little duties (someone call animal control....). Maggie hates it when I stand over her and make her poop with an audience. In fact she purposely takes longer then. That's another dog that's supposed to be all crazy and hyper and easily turns to destruction for attention. Maggie sleeps 22.5 hours a day. Exact opposite of what everyone says she'll be like.

For kicks, my breed is of Italian and English decent. I'm pale and freckly but I'm short with crazy hair and have dramatic hand gestures while I talk, loudly. But my dog's breed is Shiba Inu. I've already gone on about the misconceptions with this breed on these forums so I don't feel like going into it again.

and i guess you think letting your dog out off lease in a condo association where that is most certainly forbiden (not to mention just a bad idea) is responsible pet ownership?
just remember YOU are responsible when something happens.
you might want to read more of kookoo's posts. she is undeserving of nice. good adivce is the most she will get out of me. Not coddling

lucky_bee

RBF expert
and i guess you think letting your dog out off lease in a condo association where that is most certainly forbiden (not to mention just a bad idea) is responsible pet ownership?
just remember YOU are responsible when something happens.
you might want to read more of kookoo's posts. she is undeserving of nice. good adivce is the most she will get out of me. Not coddling

Who do you think I'll blame? Obama?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
When I lived in Florida and we were settled in our new house, I wanted to get another Siamese cat. Our family had a Siamese when I was growing up and when he died, I got another one which was 12 (I think) when he passed away. So, I started looking around and there were none to be found. I looked in the papers, I looked at the pet stores. I did find one type of Siamese at a pet store, but they wanted too much money for them and they were not Seal Points. (My favorite) I looked at the local animal shelters, ASPCA, etc. None. That is the breed I have always loved, and that is the type of cat I wanted. I went to the Internet, because I had no luck locally. I researched the rescues (there was a Siamese rescue) but all the rescues had ridiculous qualifications. One was that I was automatically disqualified because Thing2 was not 5 years old. :rolleyes:

I think I looked quite a few months before locating someone on Yahoo that was a former Siamese breeder who had taken back her female and male purebreds from the person she had sold her to. There was a big hurricane back in late 1999 and flooded NC farms and this person lost a lot of property and could no longer afford to keep them. She wasn't taking very good care of them anymore, and the female purebred cat was pregnant when she came back to the breeder. However, it was not clear that the litter was actually from the purebred male cat. So the two purebreds were relegated to living in a barn on her property, because NOW the breeder only bred Persians. Then the momma cat had the kittens and she couldn't have these undocumented kitties mixing in with her purebreds. :jameo:

Anyway, I drove from Florida to Jacksonville, NC to pick up my Simon cat. He was just 8 weeks old and Siamese cats are typically better if socialized for 12. She was giving them away at 8 and I really wanted one. I loved him from the minute I picked him out of the pictures of kitties in the litter. When I went to get him, she did bring out the other kittens but he was the cutest cat of the litter and he was the one I took home.

He was a very healthy cat. I only paid for the vetting fees and shots- probably about $25-50.00 (she could give her own immunizations) and I had him vetted back at home the week after I got him. Each vet he has had (one place in Florida where we lived and PF Animal Hospital here) have absolutely LOVED him. He's a beautiful Seal Point Siamese who's been a pretty good cat and is definitely a pampered pet. He's going to be 15 years old at the end of April.

The moral of this story is that when you find the pet you fall in love with - you just do. It's just the way it is.

mamatutu

mama to two
When I lived in Florida and we were settled in our new house, I wanted to get another Siamese cat. Our family had a Siamese when I was growing up and when he died, I got another one which was 12 (I think) when he passed away. So, I started looking around and there were none to be found. I looked in the papers, I looked at the pet stores. I did find one type of Siamese at a pet store, but they wanted too much money for them and they were not Seal Points. (My favorite) I looked at the local animal shelters, ASPCA, etc. None. That is the breed I have always loved, and that is the type of cat I wanted. I went to the Internet, because I had no luck locally. I researched the rescues (there was a Siamese rescue) but all the rescues had ridiculous qualifications. One was that I was automatically disqualified because Thing2 was not 5 years old. :rolleyes:

I think I looked quite a few months before locating someone on Yahoo that was a former Siamese breeder who had taken back her female and male purebreds from the person she had sold her to. There was a big hurricane back in late 1999 and flooded NC farms and this person lost a lot of property and could no longer afford to keep them. She wasn't taking very good care of them anymore, and the female purebred cat was pregnant when she came back to the breeder. However, it was not clear that the litter was actually from the purebred male cat. So the two purebreds were relegated to living in a barn on her property, because NOW the breeder only bred Persians. Then the momma cat had the kittens and she couldn't have these undocumented kitties mixing in with her purebreds. :jameo:

Anyway, I drove from Florida to Jacksonville, NC to pick up my Simon cat. He was just 8 weeks old and Siamese cats are typically better if socialized for 12. She was giving them away at 8 and I really wanted one. I loved him from the minute I picked him out of the pictures of kitties in the litter. When I went to get him, she did bring out the other kittens but he was the cutest cat of the litter and he was the one I took home.

He was a very healthy cat. I only paid for the vetting fees and shots- probably about $25-50.00 (she could give her own immunizations) and I had him vetted back at home the week after I got him. Each vet he has had (one place in Florida where we lived and PF Animal Hospital here) have absolutely LOVED him. He's a beautiful Seal Point Siamese who's been a pretty good cat and is definitely a pampered pet. He's going to be 15 years old at the end of April.

The moral of this story is that when you find the pet you fall in love with - you just do. It's just the way it is.

:yay: And, I like your story!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Sorry. I am not paying $1250 to fall in love... Last time I did that....well, nevermind. :dye:

Well, no - I wouldn't, either. :lol:

I only paid $50 and a tank of gas to drive 10 hours one way. Actually, I stayed overnight and met up with a friend and had a catch up girls' weekend before heading back to FL.

So, yeah - that's a little steep, but it's not MY money and therefore, noneofmybiz. To each their own. :yay:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Sorry. I am not paying $1250 to fall in love... Last time I did that....well, nevermind. :dye:

I don't have an issue paying this kinda of money for a dog... but when I do that means im looking for specific traits and needs in a dog... such as high drive and a strong work ethic and strong nerves.

I have been lucky about the dogs I have rescued and they have filled my needs of what I want in a working dog. so I was just getting ready to put a deposit down on a puppy when BAM my foster dog started showing signs of play/prey drive. I had her evaluated and sure a hell she has what it takes to do the job.

but I will say I do feel sorry for those who get ripped off by backyard breeders.

mamatutu

mama to two
We went to visit Daisy today in Frederick. She is 4 weeks. We can have her in another 4. We wanted to see the farm, meet the breeder and meet Daisy (my daughter picked her out) and get the low down. Daisy is the offspring of Peaches (multi gen labradoodle) and the dad is Charlie, a red standard poodle. We saw the papers, and the dad is AKC recognized. So, now we know it is all ok. Peaches wasn't happy about being brought out to meet us and leave her pups. She was sweet enough, but kept her distance, so we got the best pic we could. Daisy is getting redder than she was in the last pics. It is my understanding that red labradoodles are sort of rare. Here are pics of the mom and Daisy. The dad was brought in from NC for the breeding, so no longer there. We are in love with Daisy Doodle! Can't wait to get her home! :smile:

Attachments

• peaches.jpg
    peaches.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 154
  • daisydoo.jpg
    daisydoo.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

KDENISE977

Glad you got some piece of mind !!!! I don't have neighbors very close by any means but my neighbors about half mile away have a doodle and she's sweet as can be.

mamatutu

mama to two
Glad you got some piece of mind !!!! I don't have neighbors very close by any means but my neighbors about half mile away have a doodle and she's sweet as can be.

Thanks. I have read a lot of good feed back in my searches about doodles. And, meeting Daisy cinched it! I know you are so worried about your Boxer girl. I appreciate your reply. I hope you get the answers you need, and all goes well. There is no question about how much you love her. She is a lucky dog! :huggy:

Very sweet! The mother almost looks like a poodle.

Yes she is! I do have a question. We are considering taking two. My husband researched that tonight. He found that the consensus is don't do that. Having two siblings makes them alienated from humans and requires a separate upbringing; as in crate separately, feed separately, take out separately, etc. It keeps them from bonding with their human parent. Is that true? I would have thought having 2 siblings together would be a good thing (like cuddling when they are initially separated from the mom), but apparently not. What do you think?

Last edited:

mitzi

We went to visit Daisy today in Frederick. She is 4 weeks. We can have her in another 4. We wanted to see the farm, meet the breeder and meet Daisy (my daughter picked her out) and get the low down. Daisy is the offspring of Peaches (multi gen labradoodle) and the dad is Charlie, a red standard poodle. We saw the papers, and the dad is AKC recognized. So, now we know it is all ok. Peaches wasn't happy about being brought out to meet us and leave her pups. She was sweet enough, but kept her distance, so we got the best pic we could. Daisy is getting redder than she was in the last pics. It is my understanding that red labradoodles are sort of rare. Here are pics of the mom and Daisy. The dad was brought in from NC for the breeding, so no longer there. We are in love with Daisy Doodle! Can't wait to get her home! :smile:

Adorable!

Roman

Thanks. I have read a lot of good feed back in my searches about doodles. And, meeting Daisy cinched it! I know you are so worried about your Boxer girl. I appreciate your reply. I hope you get the answers you need, and all goes well. There is no question about how much you love her. She is a lucky dog! :huggy:

Yes she is! I do have a question. We are considering taking two. My husband researched that tonight. He found that the consensus is don't do that. Having two siblings makes them alienated from humans and requires a separate upbringing; as in crate separately, feed separately, take out separately, etc. It keeps them from bonding with their human parent. Is that true? I would have thought having 2 siblings together would be a good thing (like cuddling when they are initially separated from the mom), but apparently not. What do you think?
I have heard the same thing, but I don't agree. Personally, if I could have gotten 2 siblings I would have. I have 2 Bostons, but they aren't related. Both the same sex, and they get along just fine. They both try to get my attention at the same time, just like kids. They keep each other busy. They're 2 years apart in age, and when I got the most recent one, she learned from the other when it came to house training. The first one is the other's ears, because she's deaf. So cute!

spinner

It is true, they will bond more closely to each other then to you. Better to get a second dog when that first one is a little older.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I do think there is some truth to raising certain breeds with siblings. If you find a lot of labradoodle owners claiming they require all these extra needs like separate feedings and crates, etc. then you might want to take their word for it and perhaps think of adopting a young kitten at the same time instead. I can't speak from experience with labradoodles, but I know lots of Lab owners who often end up with 2 but usually not at first. What's typical to do is just what my cousin did...bought a female lab and a year later bought a male lab who was bred from the same father. So they truly are 'siblings' and they have an awesome bond....but they are a TONNNN of work. She doesn't have kids and she's lucky her husband works from home often. They're also both athletic and can handle wearing them out for a couple hours. I certainly couldn't :lol: I'm exhausted just going over to visit them all :lol:

I've read a lot about having pairs of Shiba Inus. Apparently they do really well with 'siblings' because they're naturally a very anxious breed, having a buddy all day calms them a bit...plus they're very playful as puppies. But I have found MANY warnings against having a pair of shibas of the same sex. Which I never would have thought of. Apparently that just creates a ton of tension and jealousy to have two males or two females. Every breed is different :shrug: Also every dog is different. I couldn't imagine getting a buddy for Maggie. She has zero interest in losing her spot as my #1 attention hog!

Mama, I know you're excited to bring Daisy home but I'd consider, since you're new to the breed, seeing how you guys do with Daisy and then maybe a year/several months from now when she's not such a puppy, if you feel like she needs that extra companion, going back to the breeder and finding a sibling for her. Or a cat! I've had several positive experiences of bringing home a kitten and a puppy at the same time and watching them bond :smile: