Land For Sale By Owner hints?

DeeCee

A horse of course!
We have a couple of buildable lots we'd like to sell and I'm considering trying to sell them myself first, rather than listing with a Realtor. Anyone (who isn't a REALTOR :lol:) have any inside information on the best or most efficient way to go about doing that?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
We have a couple of buildable lots we'd like to sell and I'm considering trying to sell them myself first, rather than listing with a Realtor. Anyone (who isn't a REALTOR :lol:) have any inside information on the best or most efficient way to go about doing that?
Here is a link that you might find helpful, although - clearly - you are not selling a house. I am sure that you'll find tons of on-line resources to do what you are suggesting.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2010/08/10/sell-your-house-without-a-realtor/

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

I'm not any help with your question, but

How big are the lots, where are they located and how much are you asking $$?

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Thanks BadGirl!

It's a total of 5.9 wooded acres divided into 2 buildable parcels with 1 recorded perc site on each and one of them has a recorded Artesian well and an existing mobile home (trailer) not recently lived in but could be replaced for a rental property. They're in St Mary's County with road frontage on Loveville Rd. As to pricing, we're rolling around 80-85k each.

HorseQueen

Advice..

I don't have many suggestions for you; however, you can still post a For Sale by Owner listing on Zillow, etc. If a buyer contacts you to purchase the property and is not working with an agent, feel free to message me about drafting a sales contract. I can help you out with some basic, yet efficient.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you should get the property staked out/plat of the land. It will make things easier when showing the property and things like that.

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I don't have many suggestions for you; however, you can still post a For Sale by Owner listing on Zillow, etc. If a buyer contacts you to purchase the property and is not working with an agent, feel free to message me about drafting a sales contract. I can help you out with some basic, yet efficient.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you should get the property staked out/plat of the land. It will make things easier when showing the property and things like that.

Thank you! Do you mean posting a sign with the plat on it?

garyt27

INAFJ
Definitely get it surveyed and staked. We sold our lot through Zillow, And had JoAnn Wood who is an estate lawyer handle the paperwork. You do not need a realtor.

HorseQueen

Thank you! Do you mean posting a sign with the plat on it?

Maybe I used the wrong wording. When a company, such as Advanced Surveys, goes out to do a plat and property stake out they do two things: (1) Literally mark the perimeter of the property with stakes, and (2) give you a nice, laminated plat showing the shape of the land, terrain, etc. This helps because when the property is being shown the realtor (or yourself) can walk the property and show them where the property actually goes to without guessing. Also, many people might ask for a plat to see where they would/should be able to built a house. I've never sold a property, but my parents have purchased a property and my friend is looking at buying land, so I sorta know the questions buyers generally ask.

I work for Thomas Pelagatti and he rents office space to Joann Wood. I'm sure Tom is cheaper; however, Joann is a very nice attorney and is very knowledgable, as well. Note: Buyers technically have their choice when it comes to a closing company.

Good luck with the sale! Selling a lot on your own shouldn't really be all that difficult :) Also, my friend is still weighing options about land to buy..I will let him know about yours!

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I've talked to Joann and will DEFINATELY use her for any legal matters. She's very knowlegable and doesn't mind sharing - even though i wasn't a client nor had i said I was looking for a land atty! I really liked her a lot. :) And thank you for the tips. Zillow is free for FSBOs but MLS doesn't accept them. :frown:
FWIW, an ad on craigslist got a phone call within an hour from an interested buyer (not a realtor!) who is looking at them today! Unbelievable....too bad i didn't tell Hubs i was putting the ad up BEFORE i put it up and he got a call on it... :lol:

PS we've already got a draft Plat the surveyor is waiting for the go ahead to make it official. We haven't decided exactly how we are going to divide the land yet - there are several possible configurations.

MAN you guys are awesome...:biggrin:

Last edited: