Laptop for College

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Son is graduating HS this year and we'd like to gift him a laptop to use at college. Neither my husband or I are very tech savvy so what would you recommend? Just a good one for doing papers and whatnot. TIA

Broad range there....

IF... he doesn't need to load programs like Office or OpenOffice, and can do his email, papers and classes online, a Chromebook might be a thought. Simple, less expensive, built-in virus protection on many.

If he needs a traditional laptop with Windows, they are pretty much equal to each other, similar in function and reliability. He may have a preference as to screen size or portability, so you might as him. Everyone here will have their own personal preference to vendor. In the past, I've been happy with Lenovo, HP and Acer.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Broad range there....

IF... he doesn't need to load programs like Office or OpenOffice, and can do his email, papers and classes online, a Chromebook might be a thought. Simple, less expensive, built-in virus protection on many.

If he needs a traditional laptop with Windows, they are pretty much equal to each other, similar in function and reliability. He may have a preference as to screen size or portability, so you might as him. Everyone here will have their own personal preference to vendor. In the past, I've been happy with Lenovo, HP and Acer.
Looking for a traditional laptop that is small and portable. From what I hear, most students do their notes in class on their laptops, not pen and paper. :mindblown:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
What GW said. My last two laptops have been HP and they are a good, solid performer. I have also had Dell computers, both at home and at work, and they are good.

Since he's going to be carrying it around, I would opt for an 11" screen. Something like one of these would be good:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
stepson has a chromebook. He gets by on his papers for high school but he could really use something bigger/better that can handle Office. I have a basic of the basic Lenovo 2-in-1...it's ok. Husband only buys HP for himself but he doesn't write papers...he just watches netflix and games on it when he's on travel. In college I had a basic macbook, but I needed Apple for design software at the time.

If I was going back today, I'd want a 2-in-1... laptop / tablet combo just to have the flexibility. The Surface Book is one of the best rated this year, and I like using my husband's. Little pricey though, however something like that could last him all four years.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Looking for a traditional laptop that is small and portable.

Spend the $$ and get a 'business class' laptop like an HP Elitebook or Dell Latitude w/Oh Sh it warranty

at the end of the day it will be more cost effective than replacing an el cheapo $ 500 latop 2 or 3 times in 4 yrs

Optionally max out the memory after you get it home never pay an OEM for max ram

Ok. I went small last time I bought one. 10" screen, no CD/DVD drive (I use an external USB drive if I need it), but it runs Windows and has a 500Gb hard drive, bluetooth/WiFi, USB 3.0, no RGB port but it does have HDMI if I want to use a large screen. I love it because of it's small size. It goes anywhere, light, fits easily on myn lap when watching TV (like right now... :lol:) I've been using this one since 2014. Keyboard is starting to act up, but otherwise solid as a rock. Lenovo, but the model number has long since worn off. The screen folds back and around so it can be used as a tablet. Touch screen.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Small is the way to go. Leaving on travel next week lugging a refurbished Panasonic Toughbook with me. Makes me appreciate the little HP Mini I carried for the last five years.