Largest Solar Array in NorthEast

Pushrod

Patriot
If you look at an average cloud cover map for the area, they sure don't seem to get an abundance of sunshine to power those arrays.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
True.

I hope that since they now have a farm of solar panels, they innovate, test, change, challenge the status quo ad infinitum. If those panels simply sit there and are expected to do all the work for their creators, it won't work, and I fear this very large investment will slink to becoming a blunder as opposed to a success.

This "project" will probably run for a year or two (maybe less) then they will lock the gates, abandon all of it, and it will be a pimple on the ass of the planet for decades to come.

NOBODY ensured lifecycle costs though to dismantling and disposal and the reason is NOBODY cared enough to do it. They'll just leave it to the locals to clean up after they are gone.

How much do you think it would cost to dispose of 164,000 solar panels? Whose landfill are they going to go in, and what kind of nasty chemicals are going to leach out of them??

ylexot

Super Genius
I'm still curious about how much the 164,000 solar panels cost to purchase in the first place. Probably ~$1000 per panel, so ~$164M to power 4500 homes...

E

EmptyTimCup

Because you put it where the people are, not necessarily where it's most convenient or efficient.

:lol:

I thought you could 'PLUG' something like this into the GRID anywhere ......

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm still curious about how much the 164,000 solar panels cost to purchase in the first place. Probably ~$1000 per panel, so ~$164M to power 4500 homes...

I'm sure the majority was from Govt grants and Obamsidies..

They are only going to run the plant as long as the money flows from the Gov't, once the Obamsidies stop, so will the plant

itsbob

I bowl overhand
they should dock a Nuke Sub in the Pax River in connect to the Grid on Base :whistle:

There are Portable Nuclear Generators..

18 wheel trucks.. pull into a neighborhood, and walla.. POWER!!

Before they put the Nukes on Subs the Navy built a few SMALL reactors on shore.. I think we are missing out by NOT using that technology.

Instead of one HUGE plant at Calvert Cliffs, (>2000 acres) how about a dozen small plants sprinkled across SoMD, and instead of pushing the power onto the grid, use if for local consumption..

ylexot

Super Genius

Before they put the Nukes on Subs the Navy built a few SMALL reactors on shore.. I think we are missing out by NOT using that technology.

Instead of one HUGE plant at Calvert Cliffs, (>2000 acres) how about a dozen small plants sprinkled across SoMD, and instead of pushing the power onto the grid, use if for local consumption..

You're thinking too small...or I guess too big as it were. I want a personal nuke plant about the size of a refrigerator. Each home should have one.

E

EmptyTimCup

Last edited by a moderator:
This "project" will probably run for a year or two (maybe less) then they will lock the gates, abandon all of it, and it will be a pimple on the ass of the planet for decades to come.

NOBODY ensured lifecycle costs though to dismantling and disposal and the reason is NOBODY cared enough to do it. They'll just leave it to the locals to clean up after they are gone.

How much do you think it would cost to dispose of 164,000 solar panels? Whose landfill are they going to go in, and what kind of nasty chemicals are going to leach out of them??

Actually, the place they are installed is a research lab that has been in existence since the '40s. Knowing their prior history, those panels will probably be in use for many years unless the system develops major flaws and becomes cost prohibitive to repair. But you're right... at some point panels will die. I do wonder if they have a disposal/recovery plan in place?

As far as leaching of contaminants, the lab is under huge scrutiny now for contamination of ground water by radioactive isotopes used in the various nuclear reactors. You can be sure someone raised that point.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed

I like this!! Makes a lot of sense and probably from a cost as well as benefit standpoint.