Larry's Ryder Cup Thread

Otter

Nothing to see here
I think Larry went to the dentist, so I started this thread for him. Have at it.

I think Larry went to the dentist, so I started this thread for him. Have at it.

From a spectator's point of view, I think the Ryder Cup is the best event in golf. Even better than the Masters. It certainly has a little different feel this year with the Americans up early.

I think it was a mistake by Faldo to leave Clarke and Montgomerie home, especially Montie. He's been so consistantly dominate in this event that the mere sight of him on the tee box probably tightens the American's up a little bit.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If...

From a spectator's point of view, I think the Ryder Cup is the best event in golf. Even better than the Masters. It certainly has a little different feel this year with the Americans up early.

I think it was a mistake by Faldo to leave Clarke and Montgomerie home, especially Montie. He's been so consistantly dominate in this event that the mere sight of him on the tee box probably tightens the American's up a little bit.

...they lose, Faldo will be pilloried.

It seems Faldo simply didn't think he could do his job, be THE captain, with Monty and Clark around.

The Ryder Cup has lost so much lustre since the rise of Tiger. He and Phil inevitable get beat, the character of the US team changed from a bunch of scrappers looking for a fight to a millionaires social ever since, what, the Country Club in '99?

I like this years team. Bunch of new guys. I like Kim, Boo, Hunter, JB, good older guys. I like this team. Feels like they feel like they have something to prove.

...they lose, Faldo will be pilloried.

It seems Faldo simply didn't think he could do his job, be THE captain, with Monty and Clark around.

The Ryder Cup has lost so much lustre since the rise of Tiger. He and Phil inevitable get beat, the character of the US team changed from a bunch of scrappers looking for a fight to a millionaires social ever since, what, the Country Club in '99?

I like this years team. Bunch of new guys. I like Kim, Boo, Hunter, JB, good older guys. I like this team. Feels like they feel like they have something to prove.

Agreed, on all points.

Faldo has always loved Poulter. He's a very capable golfer, but I don't know that the Ryder Cup (in other words, a team event) suits his personality all that well. I guess we'll see.

I like the American's team as well. This is such an unusual event because the team dynamic represents so much of a change from what they experience 51 weeks a year. Some people adjust to that better and quicker. I think some people play golf because they are wired to thrive in individual competitions, while others choose it despite the fact that they love team competitions. I don't know how you identify the latter group, but they are the ones who excel at the Ryder Cup.