LASIK cost

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
Has anyone had LASIK eye surgery at TLC Laser Eye Center, or know of anyone who has? I want to know how much it costs there. I scheduled a consultation for next week, but then I found out that my health insurance plan has a discounted rate, but not at TLC. I thought of cancelling the TLC appointment and going through my insurance, but they want $350 up front just to make the appointment.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I had mine done at TLC two years ago. Because TLC's surgeon was on my insurance plan for her non-Lasik care, I qualified for a discount. (Not the same as a covered benefit.) I think my final cost ran to $3,600. I had saved up the money for two years by doing side jobs.

I went to one lasik seminar thing sponsored by a Prince Frederick doctor who does the surgery and his fees were based on how bad your eyes are. I think he said many places have the same kind of sliding scale. The worse your eyes are, the more it costs. That's why some of the discount places can have some super low prices advertised - like $499 per eye - those prices are for people who have 20/40 vision and really probably don't need lasik to begin with.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by yardsalequeen
I went to one lasik seminar thing sponsored by a Prince Frederick doctor who does the surgery and his fees were based on how bad your eyes are. I think he said many places have the same kind of sliding scale. The worse your eyes are, the more it costs. That's why some of the discount places can have some super low prices advertised - like $499 per eye - those prices are for people who have 20/40 vision and really probably don't need lasik to begin with.

That makes sense. I was told that the scale ends at 20/400, and my eyes were considerably beyond that.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I'm now 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in another. I can read and drive without glasses. I may need reading glasses as I get older, but that's a minor expense and inconvenience.

Originally posted by Vince
Where is TLC located?:confused:

There's one in Annapolis.

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll cancel my appointment with TLC and go with the doctors covered by my insurance. My eyes are pretty bad, so it would probably be on the higher end. As far as I know, Blue Cross/Blue Shield is $895 per eye for LASIK or PRK, no matter how bad my eyes are.

Bayclipper

Lasik/ TLC

I went to the Rockville center about 7 years ago. Very happy. My doctor was Dr. Horowitz, of Riverdale Md. Price I paid was about 1/2 the existing rate of the time...about $2,500.
Anyway, I was pleased with with TLC. If I was to have it done again, being in my forties, I would have the monovision done, so that I could dispense with reading glasses.
Good luck to you. Bayclipper

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Lasik/ TLC

Originally posted by Bayclipper
If I was to have it done again, being in my forties, I would have the monovision done, so that I could dispense with reading glasses.

I was 35 when I had mine done. Before that, everything farther away than six inches was blurry, so I didn't want monovision. Reading glasses? Compared with 28 years of wearing Coke-bottle lenses, I won't mind if it comes to that.

Cabbage

Rockville Center

I would ONLY suggest the Rockville or Annapolis Centers and you can expect approx $4000 total for 2 eyes depending on your situation. If you have a far-sighted eye, your prices increase.

one thing you need to be aware of = over 70% of far-sighted cases have to be redone within 3 years - there is a new procedure awaiting FDA approval that is being conducted in Europe that will be as effective for far-sighted eyes in the not-so-distant (excuse the pun ) future.

USNavyWife

Can't help with the cost...my husband gets it free through the Navy, and is currently waiting for it to get done. He isn't sure if it will be the lasik or PRK. I believe his brother got it done for a couple thousand.