Lasik

xobxdoc

I was considering getting the Lasik procedure done. Does anyone have good or bad experiences or recommendations?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I had it in 2001. Lasik Plus. Dr. Sonny Goel. Easy Peasy. No pain and 20/20 vision. Back then it was $1,500.00/eye with lifetime enhancements.

You will still need reading glasses as you get older. I didn't need them until 2008 when I was 46.

Last edited:

NextJen

Raisin cane
I had it in 2001. Lasik Plus. Dr. Sonny Goel. Easy Peasy. No pain and 20/20 vision. Back then it was $1,500.00/eye with lifetime enhancements.

You will still need reading glasses as you get older. I didn't need them until 2008 when I was 46.

Dr. Sonny Goel did mine also in 2005. I had an astigmatism, but all was corrected. Still seeing great 6 years later. Highly recommend the procedure and Dr. Goel with LasikPlus.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If my wife loved me she'd buy me this procedure for Ganesh Utsav...

Have you bought your Ganesh Ustav presents yet?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Had it in 2000, went from 20/600 to 20/15. 12 years later I'm 20/30.

Very little pain, easy recovery, no problems. Started using reading glasses a couple of years ago, and I use glasses for driving.

Im_Me

Best money I ever spent! Dr Sonny Goel. Went from couldn't even see the chart to 20/30 or 20/40.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I was considering getting the Lasik procedure done. Does anyone have good or bad experiences or recommendations?

I'd recommend TLC in Annapolis. I had it done in January and it's the best money I ever spent. I waited a long time to do it b/c I was chickensh*t...now I wonder why I waited so long b/c there was nothing to it.

warneckutz

Wirelessly posted

JabbaJawz said:

I'd recommend TLC in Annapolis. I had it done in January and it's the best money I ever spent. I waited a long time to do it b/c I was chickensh*t...now I wonder why I waited so long b/c there was nothing to it.

You are... Wuss

MMDad

Lem Putt
By the way, my wife got to watch the whole thing on TV. My eyeball filling the screen as they cut the flap, then move the flap out of the way, laser, and put the flap back.

They offered me a valium, but I didn't take it. During the pr-op exam, they've prodded around your eye so much that it didn't bother me too much. It was wierd - and uncomfortable - when they suctioned they eye. It did cause my vision to fade away. The microkeratome cut the flap quickly and I couldn't feel it. I'd say the weirdest part was when they used the laser and I could smell burning eyeball.

The biggest negative was that nobody involved in the surgery is allowed to wear deodorant/perfume. A med student was assisting, and I think she had been out drinking the night before. It was hard not to flinch when she got too close.

I had mine done at John's Hopkins in Timonium. I arrived at 7:00 AM and was in the car on the way home before 8:30. When we got to Prince Frederick the numbing wore off, and it started to sting. When I got home my vision was still blurry. I took a 4 hour nap, and when I woke up I could actually see the alarm clock without glasses.

It was amazing to be able to see individual leaves on trees from hundreds of yards away. I always thought trees were just green masses.

They wanted me to wear these tape on eye protectors when I slept, but they were so damn uncomfortable I couldn't do it, and they didn't stay on anyway.

After the surgery you are supposed to avoid high winds or getting too rough. I went on a roller coaster a couple of months after, but I just closed my eyes to protect my eyes.

Use the meds they give you, even if you feel like you don't need it. My Dr., and a few others that I've spoken to, say that almost all problems are created by people not using the anti-biotics, steroids, and artificial tears. This is where the real risk of blindness can come from.

It was explained to me that the most common negative results are less than perfect correction, starring, sensitivity to light, and irritation. I have a very slight increased sensitivity to headlights at night, but not bad enough to be a problem.

Since I started out as 20/600, I told the Dr. that I'd be more than happy if I just got down below 20/100. My goal was not to need to find my glasses in order to see the alarm clock or go to the bathroom.

I have met one person who had real problems. He claimed to have used the drops correctly. He went to one of the "Lasik Mills" that seemed to be everywhere ten years ago. Whatever you do, don't go to a mall to get surgery. Mine ended up costing about $4K for both eyes to go to Hopkins, while the lasik mills were charging around $2K. I was more than happy to pay the extra in order to have the top cornea surgeon in the US do me surgery.

My glasses prescription was -6.0 at the time, which was as bad as they could fix back then. Any worse and they would have refused me. So going from that bad to 20/15 was absolutely amazing and completely worth all of the time and money.

Dion_Ram

I higly recommend Dr. Whitten at Whitten Laser Eye. Dr. Whitten performed my lasik procedure nearly three years ago, and it was the best decision I've ever made. Even though Dr. Whitten performed the procedure on several of my friends and my mother, I was still nervous. Actually, I was terrified. But, Dr. Whitten was very knowledgeable and extremely friendly. He made me feel comfortable and this reassured me that I was in good hands. The procedure was quick and easy. I was surprised how well I could see moments later. I heard a few horror stories about the recovery process, but even that was a breeze. My optometrist was amazed by Dr. Whitten because he could barely tell that I had lasik! Again, I highly recommend Dr. Whitten. He now has his own practice in Southern Maryland and I heard that the rates are much lower than where I had it performed! I still have 20/20 vision and loving every moment of it!