Law enforcement strategy

CrashTest

I'm trying to figure out what law enforcement strategy requires 2 motorcycle cops (Calvert County I think) to be standing on very top of the TJ bridge next to their motorcycles watching fireworks even if their presence results in a mile-long traffic snag in both directions heading to the bridge.

chesapeakewndrs

I'm trying to figure out what law enforcement strategy requires 2 motorcycle cops (Calvert County I think) to be standing on very top of the TJ bridge next to their motorcycles watching fireworks even if their presence results in a mile-long traffic snag in both directions heading to the bridge.

They probably did it purposely to keep people from running into each other as they try to drive across the bridge and watch the fireworks at the same time. And you know they would.

blacklabman

Don't you know the police are not required to observe the law, just enforce it on the rest of us?

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD

Were their bikes in the travel lane? If so, I agree. They shouldn't have been there. Otherwise, please tell me how they were backing up traffic. People complain when cops hide at 7-11 and aren't visible and they complain when they are visible. Sometimes being visible means posting themselves in areas that normally wouldn't be acceptable for most vehicles. Yeah, maybe they chose the bridge to get a good view but I'll bet you knew where they were if you needed them.

As the saying goes...There is never a cop around when you need them. Would you rather they weren't around at all? Should they just stay at the police station until called like firemen?

Being a cop can be a thankless job but I'll bet if they all decided to go on strike or quit at the same time, you'd change your tune and be thankful to seen them hanging out on top of a bridge.

smilin

BOXER NATION
People used to time the fireworks so when they went off they were at the top of the bridge. They went off - everybody just stopped.
I'm sure the two motocops where assigned to stay at the top and move traffic along.

Peter Forsberg

Well when I attempted to beat the traffic home one knucklehead decided to stop and watch the fireworks while stopped on the bridge. Putting your hazzard lights on doesn't make it ok.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Well when I attempted to beat the traffic home one knucklehead decided to stop and watch the fireworks while stopped on the bridge. Putting your hazzard lights on doesn't make it ok.

:yeahthat:

I didn't see any cops at the top of the bridge anyway.

glhs837

Power with Control
Were their bikes in the travel lane? If so, I agree. They shouldn't have been there. Otherwise, please tell me how they were backing up traffic. People complain when cops hide at 7-11 and aren't visible and they complain when they are visible. Sometimes being visible means posting themselves in areas that normally wouldn't be acceptable for most vehicles. Yeah, maybe they chose the bridge to get a good view but I'll bet you knew where they were if you needed them.

As the saying goes...There is never a cop around when you need them. Would you rather they weren't around at all? Should they just stay at the police station until called like firemen?

Being a cop can be a thankless job but I'll bet if they all decided to go on strike or quit at the same time, you'd change your tune and be thankful to seen them hanging out on top of a bridge.

Oh, come on. I'm as much a fan of enforcement as the next guy, but really, the same old excuses. They get "damned if they do", when they do something stupid, as they should. A badge is not a sign of infallibility, officers can and do make poor choices every day. And I dont complain about where they sit, as long as its not hazardous, such as when a the cruiser is parked in front of a civilian car on the side of Rt 4 with its hood up, so the cruiser is not visible and the officer plays freaking jack-in-the-box with his radar gun, and another steps into the traffic lane to wave people in.

There is NO place on that bridge for a bicyclist to stay out of the traffic lane, let alone a motorcyclist. Unless they were assigned there to slow traffic, in which case its their supervisor whos to blame, they should not have been there. We most likely will never know, and it might very well have been legit that they were ordered there, that doesnt make it any more safe.

Last edited:
I saw them on the bridge as the fireworks started. They were not blocking traffic at all, there were no lane stoppages, and there was no backup. In fact, there was very little traffic on the bridge at that moment. They left for the Calvert side a few minutes later.

Was it a dumb thing for them to stop on top? Probably. Did they cause all the chaos you claim they did? Not at all. If you're going to jump on the police, at least make your comments factual.

Peter Forsberg

I saw them on the bridge as the fireworks started. They were not blocking traffic at all, there were no lane stoppages, and there was no backup. In fact, there was very little traffic on the bridge at that moment. They left for the Calvert side a few minutes later.

Was it a dumb thing for them to stop on top? Probably. Did they cause all the chaos you claim they did? Not at all. If you're going to jump on the police, at least make your comments factual.
It was a car that stopped inforont of me to watch the fireworks not the poo poo.

foodcritic

Were their bikes in the travel lane? If so, I agree. They shouldn't have been there. Otherwise, please tell me how they were backing up traffic. People complain when cops hide at 7-11 and aren't visible and they complain when they are visible. Sometimes being visible means posting themselves in areas that normally wouldn't be acceptable for most vehicles.

You mean they hang out at convienence store like 7-11 that have high rates of being robbed. What are they thinking!!! :cds:

Rhiannon

I agree with the damned if they do, damned if they don't. However if you call the department and ask to speak to a supervisor, they should give you the info you want to know on why they were positioned there and then if they weren't to be there, the supervisor can take appropriate action. Wasn't abnormal to get questioning cals like that when I worked in a PD and the supervisors always would provide an answer and take action if neccessary.

PickUpTrash

AND.. if they were NOT there, the SAME people would be calling saying "get the police up here... traffic is a mess and the police are nowhere in site..." :bigwhoop:

CrashTest

Were you driving over the bridge at 9:30? Probably not. I was. Anyone who drives over that bridge knows how little it takes to dork up traffic in a big way. Two motorcycles and two guys on the very top of that bridge at night is huge.

CrashTest

People used to time the fireworks so when they went off they were at the top of the bridge. They went off - everybody just stopped.
I'm sure the two motocops where assigned to stay at the top and move traffic along.

Correct. People will probably have a tendancy to slow down because of the fireworks. That would quickly cause a mile-long backup. To prevent that from happening, place 2 guys on the bridge and create a mile-long backup.

That's reasonable.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sure they had a meeting Saturday morning and it was decided that they'd lurk at the foot of the bridge, and just when they saw CrashTest coming, they'd quick go up to the top of the bridge and park there, just to piss him off. Probably had lookouts and everything. :yay: