Lawn Mower Repair

OldHillcrestGuy

Have a older riding mower, MTD Yard Machine, hasnt been started in at least 3 years. It ran good when I bought my Cub Cadet, and the MTD was put in the corner of my shed. Well now my son is interested in it, we have moved it out of the shed, have gotten a new battery for it and have tried to start it with no luck.
Im looking for some place to take it to have it looked at and see if its worth fixing. Not looking at the big places like Carrolls or Hugh Gardiner to go to, but maybe somebody who has a small shop on their property who fixes riding mowers and isnt going to steal me blind repairing it. :buddies:

glhs837

Power with Control
Smiths on Piney Point Road. Bought a used chipper/shredder /vac, they hooked it right up for about $100 bucks.

Chances are it's just fuel delivery. You're handy, right? Open the fuel tank cap. Does it smell like varnish? Disconnect the fuel line to the carb. Drain and discard any fuel. Flush the tank a few time with alcohol.

Take the bowl off the carb, remove the drift-pin and the float and the needle valve. Clean all of these in alcohol. Hook a line to the carb inlet and pour some alcohol thru it. Yes, it's going to pour all over the place, but it's just alcohol.

While you have it out, look at the needle valve. If it's damaged or shows an indentation around the point, replace it. Easily obtained at any hardware store.

Put it all back together, add fuel, check for leaks and try it.

Get some fuel stabilizer and add it to any of your gas cans with fresh gas. Not only does it stabilize fuel, it also cleans gunk and varnish.

Chances are it's just fuel delivery. You're handy, right? Open the fuel tank cap. Does it smell like varnish? Disconnect the fuel line to the carb. Drain and discard any fuel. Flush the tank a few time with alcohol.

Take the bowl off the carb, remove the drift-pin and the float and the needle valve. Clean all of these in alcohol. Hook a line to the carb inlet and pour some alcohol thru it. Yes, it's going to pour all over the place, but it's just alcohol.

While you have it out, look at the needle valve. If it's damaged or shows an indentation around the point, replace it. Easily obtained at any hardware store.

Put it all back together, add fuel, check for leaks and try it.

Get some fuel stabilizer and add it to any of your gas cans with fresh gas. Not only does it stabilize fuel, it also cleans gunk and varnish.
:yeahthat:

But if you have to take it somewhere...

There used to be a guy on the road towards Greenwell (L at light then L after the victorian B&B) that did good by me once. Buddy of mine had work done buy a guy on N. Sandgates Rd.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hell, try that new stuff from the folks that make Stabil......

Deprecated Browser Error

I'm not normally a liquid solution sort of guy, but Stabil has been a reliable product for years, worth a shot in my book