Lawn Tractor

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I need a new lawn tractor.
42" deck, with a high hp.
I currently have a 16 yr. old Craftsman LT 2000.
Is there really a difference between a John Deere at Lowes compared to Carroll's?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If I had the bucks I would go for a Ventrac 4500 with the dual front wheel option for dealing with the slope of the majority of my yard.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
3 acres cleared with 2 being slope. Plus that Ventrac you can get a snow plow for it to plow my 200 foot driveway (up a hill) and the 1/4 mile down the dirt road to pavement that actually gets plowed by the state.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I have a Husqvarna 52 inch cut, 26 hp that I have had for 4 years now, no issues and I like it..Seen alot of posts where folks don't like them but I am happy with it.
Thanks.
I am also trying to figure out Hp to blade spin.
I would like to get a lawn tractor with a high speed blade spin.
Thoughts?

Grumpy

Thanks.
I am also trying to figure out Hp to blade spin.
I would like to get a lawn tractor with a high speed blade spin.
Thoughts?
Never really thought about that..but I sharpen my blades twice a summer...no issues with ragged cuts.

General Lee

Me personally, would not buy any lawn tractor from a big box store. For 3K I'd look at John Deere (at a dealer) , Husqvarna (from a dealer) or maybe check out Busy Corner buggies (235/Baptist Church Rd) and see what mowers they have for that price range.

People will tell you the John Deere's and Husky's at Lowes etc are the same thing from a dealer.... They aren't. All the dealers do is enter an agreement with those stores to honor warranty work. They are of much cheaper quality.

I'd go with Kubota but I don't know what they have in the range of 3K. I have a Kubota Zero turn but it was about 6500.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Me personally, would not buy any lawn tractor from a big box store. For 3K I'd look at John Deere (at a dealer) , Husqvarna (from a dealer) or maybe check out Busy Corner buggies (235/Baptist Church Rd) and see what mowers they have for that price range.

People will tell you the John Deere's and Husky's at Lowes etc are the same thing from a dealer.... They aren't. All the dealers do is enter an agreement with those stores to honor warranty work. They are of much cheaper quality.

I'd go with Kubota but I don't know what they have in the range of 3K. I have a Kubota Zero turn but it was about 6500.
Thank you.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Is there really a difference between a John Deere at Lowes compared to Carroll's?
Absolutely .....but they will fix both...spend the bucks on the real
deal

Lowe’s versions are cheap knockoffs to compete

General Lee

I forgot to mention there is Cub Cadet as well, but not from Tractor Supply. Hugh Gardiner in Hollywood and Faulkner (Charles County) sells the real deal.

PeoplesElbow

Yes, whether or not you need the better is a question for you.

The "real" John Deer uses ball bearings and is built with bolts etc, the Lowes version does not use ball bearings and is crimped and spot welded together. Most likely your Craftsman was built the same way as the Lowes John Deer.

My grandfathers John Deer from the 70's is still running, but it did require a lot of work about 2008 to keep it running.

TPD

the poor dad

As others have said yes there is a difference. The advantage of buying a Deere from Carroll’s is the ease of getting parts. They will have the part you need for your mower in stock 97% of the time and no guessing if the part will fit your model.

If you can wait till spring, you can pick up a great used machine from Carroll’s. The non-profits trade in their one year old machines on new. These year olds have low hours and will save you lots of money. I have done this many times over the years and have been very pleased.