Leading atheist publishes secular Bible

Starman3000m

The Book on how to have good relations with others has already been written: Here are a few suggestions that Jesus made:
Luke, Chapter 6:
27: But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28: Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29: And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
30: Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31: And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32: For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33: And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34: And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35: But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36: Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
37: Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
38: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
39: And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?
40: The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.
41: And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
42: Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.
43: For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
44: For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
45: A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
46: And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
47: Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
48: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
49: But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

As for how to accomplish all the above, Jesus summarized it here:

For Believers:

Matthew, Chapter 22:
37: Jesus said...Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38: This is the first and great commandment.
39: And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40: On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

For Atheists: Just the second command will do.

As mentioned before, this, however, requires 100% Cooperation from the whole world's population.

atheos

User
Guess the part "not derived from a deity" was missed. Pretty sure they were not trying to rewrite the bible or do battle against it, but actually the exact opposite. Just provide views from a different angle other than the God aspect.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
"Humanists rely on human reason as an alternative to religion or belief in God in attempting to find meaning and purpose in life."<o:p></o:p>

Starman3000m

Guess the part "not derived from a deity" was missed. Pretty sure they were not trying to rewrite the bible or do battle against it, but actually the exact opposite. Just provide views from a different angle other than the God aspect.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
"Humanists rely on human reason as an alternative to religion or belief in God in attempting to find meaning and purpose in life."<o:p></o:p>

Yes, I understand what you are getting at here, but what would be the Humanist alternative angle to Jesus' suggestions of loving your neighbor, not doing harm to anyone, giving to the less fortunate and not seeking vengeance against someone who has done you wrong? The point is, if everybody was able to love one another in the way that Jesus stated, there would be no wars, no family arguments, no lying, no stealing, no prejudice, etc.

I'm sure the Humanist Bible has a lot of good thoughts but are there really any new suggestions that haven't been covered already except for going it alone without God's help?

Even if you don't believe in God, Jesus' Commandment of "love your neighbor..." is something that human reasoning should be able to comprehend as being the answer to achieving peace within your own family, community, co-workers, your boss, your spouse, etc.

What alternative angle would a Humanist really have to the type of Love for your neighbor and other suggestions that Jesus spoke of for establishing better human relations?

Jesus already knows our hearts, our thoughts our emotions, and our sufferings. He went through many situations as all humans except that He did not sin.
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (Hebrews 4:15)

Jesus is willing right now to help us get through tough times when no one else can. He does this through the empowering and comfort of the Holy Spirit's guidance. The only things is that He needs to personally be invited into one's life.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

Last edited:

atheos

User
I definitely understand where you are coming from Star and I agree. It has already been done before so no need to publish the same principals as already put forth in the Bible. My only thought would be maybe those that hear the word “religion” and run will take a look at this book and learn something about being decent to each other. Probably not though :coffee:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
The Book on how to have good relations with others has already been written: Here are a few suggestions that Jesus made:

As for how to accomplish all the above, Jesus summarized it here:

For Atheists: Just the second command will do.

As mentioned before, this, however, requires 100% Cooperation from the whole world's population.

WOW, how did people survive, and get along the 3000 years before Christ??

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
WOW, how did people survive, and get along the 3000 years before Christ??

God, YHWH, God of Abraham, Isac, and Jacob. Ten Commandments. etc. The plan for Christ was in place.

Now that we are under the new covenant, most people still don't believe God and reject Jesus. The way is narrow.

Last edited:

Starman3000m

I definitely understand where you are coming from Star and I agree. It has already been done before so no need to publish the same principals as already put forth in the Bible. My only thought would be maybe those that hear the word “religion” and run will take a look at this book and learn something about being decent to each other. Probably not though :coffee:

(bold, mine)

You are right when you say "probably not". The reason is that within our own human efforts and abilities people do not have the inclinations to always be decent to each other no matter how hard they try to be. Jesus already knew that and that is why He proclaimed that people need the "Love and Peace of God through Him" in their lives in order to have the type of sincere relationships that would enable us to love our neighbor as thyself.

Here is what Jesus said to those who trust in Him:
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. (John 15:10)

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (John 15:5)

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
(John 14:27)

And to those who don't follow Him but follow another "religious" path or another man's way, Jesus stated this:

But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. (John 5:42)

Conclusion: The "Humanist (Atheist) Bible will be no different than the "Self-Improvement" books and the "How to be a good person" audio tapes and videos that don't say a word about "religion."

The situation, however, is that unless humans have a spiritual change of heart and a renewing of the mind, they will not really have the ability to establish sincere human relations with one another. Sure, there are plenty of "non-religious" training materials available that promise to make you a better communicator and a better person with good people skills. The problem is, humans have to make the effort to apply those principles every day of their life in order to be the type of person that they are being trained to be.

Jesus proclaimed that only with Him and through Him, we can become that type of changed person because He is the One that gives us the ability to change. People need Jesus in their lives in order to have the ability to really love one another. This was understood by and preached by the Apostle Paul:

But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
(1 Thessalonians 4:9)