Leah's House (Callaway) Needs Help Moving Shed

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Just received this and I am passing it along verbatim:

We have a challenge and it is life threatening. Our neighbors put up a fence that has narrowed the access road to out shelter and emergency vehicles cannot access the shelter home itself. The fire department is threatening to fine the shelter if they do not get the access point widened It can be done if we can get a shed moved that will widen the access point - we do not have the funds nor the equipment. On top of that a smaller shed was moved but the person that was trying to help (my friend, spouse and companion of 27 years suddenly passed a few weeks ago) Bottom line is somebody else out there can help.

We have a small child scheduled to come in tonight that is on a walker, his brother was killed in the same car accident that has left him recovering and medical trasnportation will need access to get him to services on a regular basis. Can you help get the word out that we just need help shifting or moving the shed and we do not have the funds etc.

Neighboring land owners s recently put up fence because they did not want us on a lot next door that has been empty for over 30 years, etc

We are located in St Mary's County, Valley Lee.

Thanks for your assistance.

Marguerite Morris
Founder
301-408-8833
301-994-9580
301-994-1862
www.leahshousemd.org

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
The rest of the story

I called the Pastor and went down to take some pics.

Essentially, the Thompsons who own the property to the right of the fence did not want anyone on their property. So, they put up this fence. The White shed/garage with the green trim by the fence is the access road to the house in the back where the actual sheltered victims reside. As you can see, there is not enough room for fire vehicles, or any vehicle for that matter to safely pass.

Pastor Morris indicted that if she had an absolute angel appear to move, her preference would be to have the shed moved to the left side of the double-wide (which serves as their office). Otherwise, she would be happy to just have it moved a little to the left so there is adequate clearance.

She did indicate that it is full of donated furniture at the moment.

Attachments

• DSC_0733.jpg
    DSC_0733.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_0734.jpg
    DSC_0734.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_0737.jpg
    DSC_0737.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Goldenhawk

Here's the location, if anyone is interested.
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

It seems pretty crass to put up a fence without giving a nonprofit helps ministry adequate time to get the shed moved first. Rather heartless.

According to the LUGM zoning maps, the fence does appear to be along the property line, even though that property line cuts directly across the parking lot.

Could the shed be moved with a couple of forklifts, or one forklift with a couple sets of dolly wheels of some kind? Perhaps a set of four of those pallet lifters (used by every big box store during nightly restocking) could get it high enough to roll it sideways, and then to roll it back between the other shed and the office.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I wonder if the Trading Post would bring a large piece of equipment out and move it for them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If this is the women's shelter for helping them escape domestic violence, isn't it supposed to be kept secret so the crazy men can't find them?

I hope I am wrong and they get the help that they need.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
If this is the women's shelter for helping them escape domestic violence, isn't it supposed to be kept secret so the crazy men can't find them?

I hope I am wrong and they get the help that they need.

To provide women and children a safe, caring and comfortable place to live that will be a positive environment, teach needed skills and provide services that will motivate and empower the individuals thereby equipping families to break the cycle of homelessness

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Mission Accomplished

Rev. Morris reports that her Knight in Shining Armor, Steve Barbee, of St. Leonard, rode up on Saturday morning with his John Deere tractor in tow.

Volunteers from Bridgeway Community Church headed up by Mark Hess, along with Chris Hardman of Lexington Park United Methodist Church, Joe Turner of First Missionary Baptist Church, and the women and children of Leah's House were also on hand.

Rev. Morris said that the shed had to be emptied of all of the donated items before it could be moved.

"It turned out to be quite an undertaking," said Rev. Morris. "I consider Mr Yarby quite the hero, he wore a big white hat and a bright gold John Deer belt buckle. All the other volunteers just happened to be on site as a part of their monthly volunteering and they were a match made in heaven."

Rev. Morris also noted that while her dream team was in the midst of moving the shed, a little boy who was recently injuired in an auto accident was moving into the shelter home. The boy's brother was killed in the same car accident that left him injured. Now that the shed has been moved, medical transportation will have the vehicle access they require in order to get him to services on a regular basis. Any threat of fines from the fire department has also been abated.

Rev. Morris indicated that if others still want to help with other shelter needs, they can send a much needed tax deductible donation to Leah's House, P.O. Box 203 Callaway, MD 20620 or visit them on line at www.leahshousemd.org and give through Paypal.

2013-OCT-09: Update, we were giving the wrong spelling of the Good Samaritan's name. The gentleman's name is Steve Barbee of St. Leonard.

Attachments

• Shed Move 2.jpg
    Shed Move 2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Shed Move.jpg
    Shed Move.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Rev. Morris reports that her Knight in Shining Armor, Steve Yarby, rode up on Saturday morning with his John Deere tractor in tow.

Volunteers from Bridgeway Community church headed up by Mark Hess, along with Chris Hardman of Lexington Park United Methodist Church, Joe Turner of First Missionary Baptist Church, and the women and children of Leah's House were also on hand.

Rev. Morris said that the shed had to be emptied of all of the donated items before it could be moved.

"It turned out to be quite an undertaking," said Rev. Morris. "I consider Mr Yarby quite the hero, he wore a big white hat and a bright gold John Deer belt buckle. All the other volunteers just happened to be on site as a part of their monthly volunteering and they were a match made in heaven."

Rev. Morris also noted that while her dream team was in the midst of moving the shed, a little boy who was recently injuired in an auto accident was moving into the shelter home. The boy's brother was killed in the same car accident that left him injured. Now that the shed has been moved, medical transportation will have the vehicle access they require in order to get him to services on a regular basis. Any threat of fines from the fire department has also been abated.

Rev Morris indicated that if others still want to help with other shelter needs, they can send a much needed tax deductible donation to Leah's House, P.O. Box 203 Callaway, MD 20620 or visit them on line at Leah's House Inc. Let the healing begin.. and give through Paypal.
Thanks for the update, David. :yay:

And thanks to the volunteers who made this happen. Good work, all. :thewave:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Essentially, the Thompson's who own the property to the right of the fence did not want anyone on their property. So, they put up this fence.

I can understand not wanting people on YOUR Property, but some warning to the Shelter - maybe 30 - 45 days notice to get something lined up

that was a dick move

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I can understand not wanting people on YOUR Property, but some warning to the Shelter - maybe 30 - 45 days notice to get something lined up

that was a dick move

But putting up a shed in the middle of what appears to be a roadway, knowing full well vehicles must travel on someone else's property is okay?

Sorry -- I'm not blaming the owner of the fence.

But putting up a shed in the middle of what appears to be a roadway, knowing full well vehicles must travel on someone else's property is okay?

Sorry -- I'm not blaming the owner of the fence.

It was a dumb place to put the shed in the first place.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It was a dumb place to put the shed in the first place.

Why is that?. A former parking lot...still paved...easy place to drop it off and block it up.....makes sense to me.

Before there was a fence put up, of course.

Why is that?. A former parking lot...still paved...easy place to drop it off and block it up.....makes sense to me.

Before there was a fence put up, of course.

From the pic, it appears to be right in the path of the access road, parking lot or no. Let's just say it's not where I might have left it.