Leak in the basement

SailorGirl

I think I already know the answer to this question but it couldn't hurt to get some advice. My parent's basement has wet spots from time to time. I fixed the first one when I replaced a cracked pipe and re-routed the water to the orchard. The second leak occurred during the heavy rain we had last week. Huge puddle on the floor and I noticed that water was leaking around a pipe that came from the outside in. Big steady drip. The drip stopped when the rain did. Several days later I found the same thing and a new drip at the joints of a water tank - blue thing in the corner for @PrchJrkr - that's a water tank right?

If the leak is not continuous and only happens when it rains, I'm assuming that rainwater is finding it's way inside and since it's centered around a pipe from the outside, but not coming directly from the pipe, that it's a crack or hole or something not completely sealed somewhere. It's completely dry now and I'm thinking that I could patch the "hole" around the pipe area as far back as I can reach with something along the flex seal products line. Would that work? Somewhere in the back of mind I'm thinking it's a bad idea because I'm just putting a patch on the surface and I'm unaware of how far back it may go and the rainwater won't have an outlet and back up and what happens if it starts backing up?

Any thoughts on the subject? I'm just looking for a fast hold for few months solution because my brothers who hold all the money won't go for anything expensive. Thanks in advance.

SailorGirl

Seems you are beating a dead horse...Personally I would let my brothers take care of it..
Yeah I know how badly they don't want to let go of the money - I cleared brush for four hours straight yesterday for the third day in a row - my back is killing me. But enough whining - do you know if a patch would work for the time being or would it make matters worse?

Sidenote: I've been dying to try flex seal since they glued that glass boat back together.

black dog

Free America
I would watch the water outside during the next rain, if possible install drain pipes from the downspouts and move the water away and downhill from the house.
A cure is not to stop the water coming in it is to remove it all together... No water equals no leaks...
You don't patch a pool from the outside, you patch it on the inside.
A building you patch from the outside where the water is...

SailorGirl

I would watch the water outside during the next rain, if possible install drain pipes from the downspouts and move the water away and downhill from the house.
A cure is not to stop the water coming in it is to remove it all together... No water equals no leaks...
You don't patch a pool from the outside, you patch it on the inside.
A building you patch from the outside where the water is...
Crap. Thanks.

black dog

Free America
Crap. Thanks.
Sorry. When I worked for my sisters irrigation business we trenched hundreds of homes down spouts into black corrugated pipe to move water away from their homes.
Make sure the gutters are clean and free running and maybe its a simple fix to move the water away..

SailorGirl

Sorry. When I worked for my sisters irrigation business we trenched hundreds of homes down spouts into black corrugated pipe to move water away from their homes.
Make sure the gutters are clean and free running and maybe its a simple fix to move the water away..
The down spout is the what....there are rain gutters at the front of the house and the downspout would be the gutter that goes down the side and ends up in a curved piece and more straight rain gutter. Does that sound right? The curved piece is missing and there's a straight piece that's propped up underneath it. Not propped up well either. The gutters are overflowing with leaves - I can see that from the ground.

black dog

Free America
The down spout is the what....there are rain gutters at the front of the house and the downspout would be the gutter that goes down the side and ends up in a curved piece and more straight rain gutter. Does that sound right? The curved piece is missing and there's a straight piece that's propped up underneath it. Not propped up well either. The gutters are overflowing with leaves - I can see that from the ground.
I would clean and have the gutters repaired or replaced as needed first, I used Bob Green years ago with great success... Your problems might disappear with repair/replacement.
Gutters are around the house and downspouts are under the gutters bringing the water down to the ground.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
@SailorGirl if I'm remembering correctly, yes that's the holding tank for the well. With the style of roof on the house, there should only be a couple of downspouts. I personally, would start at the source of the water and clean the gutters and downspouts. The water needs to be funneled away from the foundation. I have some free time this weekend. I'll send you a PM later. I have to get ready for work now.

SailorGirl

@SailorGirl if I'm remembering correctly, yes that's the holding tank for the well. With the style of roof on the house, there should only be a couple of downspouts. I personally, would start at the source of the water and clean the gutters and downspouts. The water needs to be funneled away from the foundation. I have some free time this weekend. I'll send you a PM later. I have to get ready for work now.
I'll look for your PM then. This weekend is out though for me. I've got a house/dog sitting gig starting tonight and somehow I've got to fit in Thanksgiving clean up and food practice and grocery shopping and laundry. And naps.

You know in reality that I'm just dying to try the flex seal. They have a whole bunch of exciting new products in the flex seal family. They're number one on my Christmas list.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
PREMO Member
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'll look for your PM then. This weekend is out though for me. I've got a house/dog sitting gig starting tonight and somehow I've got to fit in Thanksgiving clean up and food practice and grocery shopping and laundry. And naps.

You know in reality that I'm just dying to try the flex seal. They have a whole bunch of exciting new products in the flex seal family. They're number one on my Christmas list.
The majority of what needs to be done is outside. Mini me is available Saturday, so he can watch me and call 911 if needed. I saw some canning jars in the goat shed that keep calling my name, so I can kill two birds... I'll have time at lunch to follow up with a PM.

SailorGirl

The majority of what needs to be done is outside. Mini me is available Saturday, so he can watch me and call 911 if needed. I saw some canning jars in the goat shed that keep calling my name, so I can kill two birds... I'll have time at lunch to follow up with a PM.
That doesn't seem like a very fair trade off - canning jars for those gutters??? I'll look for your PM but I don't feel right about it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My sisters house had this issue in a big way. She'd get a regular creek running through the basement during some of the heavy rains we've seen in recent years. The solution in her case was two-fold: installed drain extensions to the downspouts to carry the water well away from the house and 2) they had a company come in and trench down to the bottom of the basement wall on two sides of their house (its built on a steep bank) and seal the exterior of the block and install drain tile and gravel near the top to catch and carry away any water that backed up against those sides during a torrential rain. Cost over $7000 for the second part but the downspout extensions were cheaply done.

General Lee

I'd like to know what the pipe is coming from the outside in that you described. I'm picturing an open ended pipe if you say water is dripping from it. Curious what this pipe is for. Ditto on cleaning the gutters and adding down spout extensions

SailorGirl

I'd like to know what the pipe is coming from the outside in that you described. I'm picturing an open ended pipe if you say water is dripping from it. Curious what this pipe is for. Ditto on cleaning the gutters and adding down spout extensions
It's partly pipe and partly hose and is coming for the well and I think it hooks up to the water tank. I dont really know - funny I never noticed that. Anyway here's a picture.

The first one is another leak that only seems to leak when it rains. It's pretty obvious where it is. The second is the one I was talking about in the post.

General Lee

It's partly pipe and partly hose and is coming for the well and I think it hooks up to the water tank. I dont really know - funny I never noticed that. Anyway here's a picture.

View attachment 153285

View attachment 153286

The first one is another leak that only seems to leak when it rains. It's pretty obvious where it is. The second is the one I was talking about in the post.
Yes, it seems the black pipe is coming in from the well. The outside wall where the pipe comes in needs to be assessed. Is gutter water flooding the area along the wall, is the ground sloped back towards house, or is the wall around the pipe outside simply not sealed well enough and water from saturated ground seeps in? Sealing the inside wall with flex seal or something else won't solve the problem thats occurring outside.

In the first pic it appears its leaking at the connection to the right of the pressure gauge? If so, maybe tightening the hose clamps is all that is needed.

UglyBear

In t

View attachment 153285

View attachment 153286

in the top pic, it also looks like the internal French Drain ends right before the tank. It could be that there’s a leak somewhere behind the tank, especially if it happens only when it rains.

I second cleaning the gutters.

in our current house, the basement leaked twice, in the corner right next to a downspout — but only when the gutters were stuck. When they are clear, even the biggest rain does not cause a leak.

SailorGirl

Yes, it seems the black pipe is coming in from the well. The outside wall where the pipe comes in needs to be assessed. Is gutter water flooding the area along the wall, is the ground sloped back towards house, or is the wall around the pipe outside simply not sealed well enough and water from saturated ground seeps in? Sealing the inside wall with flex seal or something else won't solve the problem thats occurring outside.

In the first pic it appears its leaking at the connection to the right of the pressure gauge? If so, maybe tightening the hose clamps is all that is needed.
I think its a combination of all of it. There was a leak in the back of the basement and the cement blocks were damp on the inside and there was a puddle on the inside. I went outside and found a wet area - dug a little and found a cracked pipe. I think what happened was that rainwater that should have been leaving the area around the house was flowing right into the ground. I got some extra piping and hooked it up where it left the house and direccted it to the orchard.

The point of that long story is none of the grounds around the house is graded properly in my opinion. They get wet and they stay wet - I don't know how in the hell it passed the perk test. I think you're right that it wasn't sealed properly to begin with - there's a gap around the hose big enough to stick I don't know a popsicle stick in and it goes back aways. As far as the hose clamps - it's rusted and I think it needs to be replaced. I think if I stare at it long enough I might be able to figure it out though.