Learning to live off the land in So MD?

UglyBear

When I was a kid in Eastern Europe, my grandparents ate a good part of their diet from the forest - mushrooms, berries, etc, and collected many medicinal herbs for various ailments. That came from hundreds of generations of self-reliant farmers living and thriving at basically subsistence agriculture levels, and knowing the land around them.

In light of recent end-of-civilization scares, or at least substantial interruption to the global supply chains, I realized how little my family knows about edible and beneficial plants here.

Can anyone recommend a class on foraging in SoMD? Plants, mushrooms, berries, fish, bug larvae, etc?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
When I was a kid in Eastern Europe, my grandparents ate a good part of their diet from the forest - mushrooms, berries, etc, and collected many medicinal herbs for various ailments. That came from hundreds of generations of self-reliant farmers living and thriving at basically subsistence agriculture levels, and knowing the land around them.

In light of recent end-of-civilization scares, or at least substantial interruption to the global supply chains, I realized how little my family knows about edible and beneficial plants here.

Can anyone recommend a class on foraging in SoMD? Plants, mushrooms, berries, fish, bug larvae, etc?
Crabs, oysters, clams, rockfish, perch, croakers, bluefush, spot, plus about ten dozen more. Ducks, geese, dove, quail, turkeys. Squirrels, rabbits, muskrats, possum, frogs, deer. Mushrooms, roots, paw paws, prickly pears, wild asparagus, persimmons, wild strawberries, honey,
nuts of all sorts...I could go on, but you get my thoughts

plus we have the seventeen year locust this year

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You should call over to Chesapeake's Bounty and make friends with Will Kreamer - he knows EVERYTHING.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Crabs, oysters, clams, rockfish, perch, croakers, bluefush, spot, plus about ten dozen more. Ducks, geese, dove, quail, turkeys. Squirrels, rabbits, muskrats, possum, frogs, deer. Mushrooms, roots, paw paws, prickly pears, wild asparagus, persimmons, wild strawberries, honey,
nuts of all sorts...I could go on, but you get my thoughts

plus we have the seventeen year locust this year
Where have you found paw paws, I’ve never seen them here.

UglyBear

Where have you found paw paws, I’ve never seen them here.
They are all over the place — any park in our area. This fall we got over 30lbs, some sadly spoiled because we didn’t have time to process them.

@Merlin99 , if I don’t forget, when the season comes (Sept?) , we can meet up and I’ll show you my peak groves — way more than enough for all .

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
@UglyBear - You might be interested in this event:

Event by Historic St. Mary's City

Historic St. Mary's City

Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 1 PM EDT – 2:30 PM EDT

Price: Free · Duration: 1 hr 30 min

Public · Anyone on or off Facebook

April 3.
Spring Saturdays—Incredible Edibles
Join Woodland Indian Hamlet interpreter for a short walk through the museum to hunt for spring’s earliest wild edible plants. Learn where to find them, how to harvest them safely, and how to incorporate them into your daily meals.
Program is included with admission

1 p.m.—2:30 p.m., Woodland Indian Hamlet

UglyBear

@UglyBear - You might be interested in this event:

Event by Historic St. Mary's City

Historic St. Mary's City

Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 1 PM EDT – 2:30 PM EDT

Price: Free · Duration: 1 hr 30 min

Public · Anyone on or off Facebook

April 3.
Spring Saturdays—Incredible Edibles
Join Woodland Indian Hamlet interpreter for a short walk through the museum to hunt for spring’s earliest wild edible plants. Learn where to find them, how to harvest them safely, and how to incorporate them into your daily meals.
Program is included with admission

1 p.m.—2:30 p.m., Woodland Indian Hamlet
Awesome!!!!! Def will tell wife to sign me up!!! Thank you so much for remembering this and posting the link!