Leasing a horse

Chickadee1

Does anyone know what the normal amount people get for leasing a horse out and how they arrive at the amount they are asking for the lease?

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Does anyone know what the normal amount people get for leasing a horse out and how they arrive at the amount they are asking for the lease?[/QUOTE There is no one answer to your question. It varies from barn to barn. But, I have some lease horses at my barn and thier fee is the board rate. That can be a single lease or a shared lease, tack included if so desired. All health and maint expenses are paid by me.

I would be interested to see what others barns may offer.

Chickadee1

Does anyone know what the normal amount people get for leasing a horse out and how they arrive at the amount they are asking for the lease?[/QUOTE There is no one answer to your question. It varies from barn to barn. But, I have some lease horses at my barn and thier fee is the board rate. That can be a single lease or a shared lease, tack included if so desired. All health and maint expenses are paid by me.

I would be interested to see what others barns may offer.

The horse I was looking at is privately owned so I would have to find a place to board, pay its expenses, and have it insured. I just didn't know what the going rate was. Someone told me it can be based on the horses experience or value?

W

WhoCares

So this is what I understand.

You pay the current owner a fee to lease the horse. That doesn't include board correct?

At the farm where I am at there are horses for lease. 1/2 lease is 150.00 a month and that includes 3 rides a week and one lesson. The leasor does not pay any of the vet fees for the horse. The horses lives outside on field board.

Full Lease is more and that is 6 rides a week, and you are responisble for the vet fees, shoeing fees, and worming. That lease also includes a lesson per week. I don't know the exact dollar amount off-hand but I am pretty sure it is about 300+.

IF I was going to lease I would find a free lease horse where I just pay the vet fees, board fees, and shoe fees. That way the owner still technically owns the horse but I pay the expense of it's upkeep.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
The horse I was looking at is privately owned so I would have to find a place to board, pay its expenses, and have it insured. I just didn't know what the going rate was. Someone told me it can be based on the horses experience or value?
People can put a price on anything....but, IME many privately owned horses are "free leased" but there is always an expense for care, (board/feed/vet,insur,etc.).

This could be very different with current show horses, Im sure that some have a rental fee for the show season.

W

WhoCares

I also leased my horse before I bought him. It was a good idea for me to see if I liked him and if it was a good match. I bought him in April.

fredsaid2

For something nice with a proven show record, rule of thumb is generally 1/3 it's sale value per year. For most here locally I'd say board plus vet and farrier although any terms can and should be written out in a contract signed by both parties.

devinej

I've heard its 1/3 of the sale price per year - plus the leasee pays board, vet care, farrier care, insurance. but that is in the A circuit/recognized horse show world. definitely have a contract and maybe even a legal advisor for it - my sister had a LOT of trouble with her horse when she leased it out - they had a farrier that made her horse go lame...

showqueen74

I leased a TB while I was stationed in WA. I paid about $120. a month, plus shoes, shows, & transportation. I split all vet bills with the owner. This was a few years back, and it was a private owner that normally charged $200+ but we were able to settle on a lower price for several reasons.
Sometimes private owners are willing to "deal" if the horse is going to be in good hands. V

IntegritysDream

I thought about leasing a horse before i bought one, but if im basically going to be paying bored for a horse that still isnt mine + vet bills and all that, i figuared i mine as well go ahead and pay the extra 1000$ (what we paid for my horse) that way if i got emotionally attached to the horse, no one could just take it away (that was my biggest fear) and i could do what i wanted with it and not have to worry about "what the owner thinks" cause hes mine.

But i think if you have like a lease or something wehre you pay like so much money to come out and ride it a few times a week but are free of the rest of the major stuff, its a good way to see if you are ready to buy a horse or if you cant be commited to own a horse, like if you have a demanding job or other school activities, its a nice thing because then you wont have to worry about selling the horse or anything if it becomes to much. JMO

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Yup, 1/3 the sale price for the year.

So, if you're looking at a $6000 horse one third of that price is $2000. $2000/12 = $166/month.

tallyhoe

some barns are lucky to get anyone to free lease the junk they have to help pay the bills. It is amazing to see what some people will put there kids on because the trainer claims it is safe.

fredsaid2

some barns are lucky to get anyone to free lease the junk they have to help pay the bills. It is amazing to see what some people will put there kids on because the trainer claims it is safe.

It's because the clients are green and don't know any better. When you know less than the trainer it's easy for them to seem an expert.

Chiraz

Does anyone know what the normal amount people get for leasing a horse out and how they arrive at the amount they are asking for the lease?

Chickadee, one third of the horses value per year is normal for hunters. Some places offer half leases too, limiting the number of rides per week.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
I thought about leasing a horse before i bought one, but if im basically going to be paying bored for a horse that still isnt mine + vet bills and all that, i figuared i mine as well go ahead and pay the extra 1000$ (what we paid for my horse) that way if i got emotionally attached to the horse, no one could just take it away (that was my biggest fear) and i could do what i wanted with it and not have to worry about "what the owner thinks" cause hes mine.

But i think if you have like a lease or something wehre you pay like so much money to come out and ride it a few times a week but are free of the rest of the major stuff, its a good way to see if you are ready to buy a horse or if you cant be commited to own a horse, like if you have a demanding job or other school activities, its a nice thing because then you wont have to worry about selling the horse or anything if it becomes to much. JMO

Leasing sometimes is a way to get a more experienced horse to use for a show season or a year lease. Sometimes you get lucky and someone allows you to apply the lease money paid towards the final cost of the horse after you have been able to ride it for the term of the lease.

IMO though I'd never lease or lease out something that didn't have Loss of Use & other types of insurance on them. If something did happen to the horse the current owner would only recover 60% of the value. It really covers both parties. I might even require Major Medical. On the upside for the owner of the leased horse if the person leasing was a good rider with a qualified trainer you could end up with a better horse a year later.