Leasing, thoughts and opinions???

breezy9999

So I am going to lease my mare out. Just wondering what kind of experiences you guys have had and any helpful tips/suggestions for me??

PrepH4U

So I am going to lease my mare out. Just wondering what kind of experiences you guys have had and any helpful tips/suggestions for me??

What are your future plans for this horse? Are you wanting to lease her just for someone else to train her and then decide that you want her back? :shrug:
This past year I have seen you want to move her from barn to barn, going to lease her out, then sell her, back to keeping her and training her. Now she is being thrown out there to lease again. I guess you did not follow through on training. No wonder the mare is a nervous wreck, her owner seems to be very indecisive.
Not to seem "real mean" maybe you need to cut your losses and give her to someone that can actually work with her. That way you won't have to worry about board, hay sources and feed.

fredsaid2

I can only say, write down all your expectations and put it in the contract. Start it now, take time to refine until you're satisfied.

breezy9999

What are your future plans for this horse? Are you wanting to lease her just for someone else to train her and then decide that you want her back? :shrug:
This past year I have seen you want to move her from barn to barn, going to lease her out, then sell her, back to keeping her and training her. Now she is being thrown out there to lease again. I guess you did not follow through on training. No wonder the mare is a nervous wreck, her owner seems to be very indecisive.
Not to seem "real mean" maybe you need to cut your losses and give her to someone that can actually work with her. That way you won't have to worry about board, hay sources and feed.

I don't want to sell her but there are circumstances that are making it difficult to keep her. My plans for her are to try and keep her and show her. Leasing her will help me alot. It's not this horse it's my situation that makes me indecisive. She has actually gotten alot better because I have been working with her and I did have a trainer out to work on some issues. I am also there every day caring for her. I am capable of working with her, time and consistency are my issue. There are some things as far as moving her that you guys are unaware of. Has nothing to do with me. Leasing would be an on the farm lease, I am not throwing her out there to anyone, I want to make sure she is taken care of and I plan on showing her and working with her alot this year.

breezy9999

I understand where you are coming from and I don't think you are being mean just honest. Alot of questions I ask are to get helpful suggestions to help me save money or get ideas. That's why I post in the forum for helpful advice.

PrepH4U

I understand where you are coming from and I don't think you are being mean just honest. Alot of questions I ask are to get helpful suggestions to help me save money or get ideas. That's why I post in the forum for helpful advice.

I understand how hard it is to try and balance work,finances, family & horses. Mine are just pasture poodles right now. But it is easier for me because they are at my home. It would have to be a spectacular home/family for me to even consider letting them go.
So if you are thinking of doing an in farm lease where you could monitor the care almost sounds ideal. Who knows maybe the person who leases it could work on some issues and give her some exercise. Maybe you both could end up showing her, how cool would that be?

edit: but do not exclude "giving" her away to a fantastic family just because of your heart. When situations improve maybe then you could look at getting another down the road.

Last edited:

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)

I'm currently in a similar situation. This is how my lease is going.. I have been trying to sell my mare for several months and can't afford to keep her in full-time training and showing her along with my new horse(Both of my horses stay in full time training year round). Well someone at the barn is looking for a horse for their daughter so they are going to lease her from me until she sells...they know of this stipulation. So they get a free lease(do not pay me a monthly fee) but they have to pay for my mares training, farrier, vet, maintenance, shows, and horse insurance. So it helps me keep her being noticed and continuing training.

Help that helps!

breezy9999

I understand how hard it is to try and balance work,finances, family & horses. Mine are just pasture poodles right now. But it is easier for me because they are at my home. It would have to be a spectacular home/family for me to even consider letting them go.
So if you are thinking of doing an in farm lease where you could monitor the care almost sounds ideal. Who knows maybe the person who leases it could work on some issues and give her some exercise. Maybe you both could end up showing her, how cool would that be?

edit: but do not exclude "giving" her away to a fantastic family just because of your heart. When situations improve maybe then you could look at getting another down the road.

I agree with you! I wouldn't totally rule out the idea of letting her go to a fantastic family, if I knew for sure that would be the best home. It's so hard nowadays to trust people. I would totally love to have someone lease her and show her that would be awesome. If they worked out and I was still having my at home issues I would definantly let her go if they wanted to own her. I just want to do the right thing. It is very hard.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I agree with you! I wouldn't totally rule out the idea of letting her go to a fantastic family, if I knew for sure that would be the best home. It's so hard nowadays to trust people. I would totally love to have someone lease her and show her that would be awesome. If they worked out and I was still having my at home issues I would definantly let her go if they wanted to own her. I just want to do the right thing. It is very hard.

What barn are you at?
I may be able to help.

breezy9999

I'm currently in a similar situation. This is how my lease is going.. I have been trying to sell my mare for several months and can't afford to keep her in full-time training and showing her along with my new horse(Both of my horses stay in full time training year round). Well someone at the barn is looking for a horse for their daughter so they are going to lease her from me until she sells...they know of this stipulation. So they get a free lease(do not pay me a monthly fee) but they have to pay for my mares training, farrier, vet, maintenance, shows, and horse insurance. So it helps me keep her being noticed and continuing training.

Help that helps!

Wow I bet that is hard and expensive!! My barn is very private so no one is really looking to lease there. Thanks for sharing your situation, gives me ideas. I figured they could pay board (wich isn't that bad) and I paid for feed,hay,vet,farrier,ect...

PrepH4U

Could you circulate at the barn you board at that you are trying to find a lease or good home for her. Then maybe watch them handle her for a couple of rides to see how the mare reacts and how they handle her. Just an idea. I hope someone steps up and helps you out. I don't have the skills or room or I would help you.
What barn are you at?
I may be able to help.
Don't dismiss the old mean DoWhat, he just trys to stir up crap but is really a softie. We all are instigators but when help is really needed most try to step up their game. Good luck!

breezy9999

Could you circulate at the barn you board at that you are trying to find a lease or good home for her. Then maybe watch them handle her for a couple of rides to see how the mare reacts and how they handle her. Just an idea. I hope someone steps up and helps you out. I don't have the skills or room or I would help you.

Don't dismiss the old mean DoWhat, he just trys to stir up crap but is really a softie. We all are instigators but when help is really needed most try to step up their game. Good luck!

At my barn we only have maybe a handful of boarders. They know my situation but can't afford another horse. Thanks for your help!! I pm'ed Dowhat. Hopefully he pm's me back :) so I didn't ignore I promise lol. I try not to take things personally.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Remember DW's wife had/has horses and they really take/took care of that guy I remember some hoof issues and they did alot for him..