Lens recommendations

4Father

Hello all:
I have a Nikon D80. I am looking for a long zoom lens that can shoot sports photos without a flash indoors. I know I am getting into pretty expensive territory here. What do you think of the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR and are there any less expensive alternatives. The typical shooting environment will be like this.

Also any tips you can offer on this type of photography is greatly appreciated!

FMarquart

Hello 4Father,

Ok by the info from the photo you shared (or example from someone else) this is what the camera did to produce that image...

EXIF IFD0
Camera Make {0x010F} = NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model {0x0110} = NIKON D700

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) {0x829A} = 1/400 second ===> 0.0025 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop {0x829D} = 14/5 ===> ƒ/2.8
ISO Speed Ratings {0x8827} = 6400
Original Date/Time {0x9003} = 2012:01:14 21:03:44
Flash {0x9209} = Flash did not fire
Focal Length {0x920A} = 90/1 mm ===> 90 mm

**D700 - ISO 200 - 6400 (with boost up to ISO 25600 and down to ISO 100)

If you noticed it was shot with a D700 that has much better capabilities than your D80: below is your camera max ISO-->
ISO 100 - 1600
• Up to ISO 3200 with boost

Not sure if you are going to shoot at the same location?? If so you will be at least one stop under exposed to the example you supplied...

Do you have any kinda of metering from where you are going to shoot at (location)??

*** Now for the lens choice, it is a great lens, best to invest in a good lens that you will have for years, but if you are looking to adventure into low light indoor action I would look at upgrading your body...

Hope that helps a little??

Need any more help let me know.

Frank
FRANK MARQUART's Photos | SmugMug

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Hello all:
I have a Nikon D80. I am looking for a long zoom lens that can shoot sports photos without a flash indoors. I know I am getting into pretty expensive territory here. What do you think of the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR and are there any less expensive alternatives. The typical shooting environment will be like this.

Join the local Camera Club..there is one here on Calvert that is active and has a good mix of amature and professional.
Just

I shoot a Nikon D300 and love it. I have 5 lenses...and use the 70-200.Good overall lens for basic shooting.

One piece of advise..use a tripod! Or a well built mono-pod!

Happy shooting!

PS: can you shot in RAW with you D80? If so, do it! You can use Nikon Capture and Photoshop to tweek the image to bring out details, etc.
Also look into NAPP..great group to jpin with a lot online help!

Last edited:

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
Hello all:

4Father, Frank hit it pretty much on the head. The biggest difference is that your D80 at ISO 3200 will probably have more noise that the D700 as well. The 70-200mm 2.8 will do well, and is probably the cheapest lens to do this job. Something else to remember, Frank hit on it too, is that this place and the next will have very different light amounts. Even if the look the same to the human eye, it can be very different to the camera. Use your metering and get a good exposure, and have fun!

4Father

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the advice! If I decide to make the (financial) commitment and buy the lens (and maybe the body) I will post some of the results. Thanks again.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Thanks everyone for the advice! If I decide to make the (financial) commitment and buy the lens (and maybe the body) I will post some of the results. Thanks again.

I bought a low light/indoor lens but not for the same reasons. If you've ever been on the receiving end of flash photography during birthdays or family functions you know how irritating the constant flashes can be.

A 1.8 is what I bought for indoor shooting, a little more money you can get
Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras:Amazon:Camera & Photo

A very good low light 50 mm lens, that can take very good pictures using room light.

wch

I bought a low light/indoor lens but not for the same reasons. If you've ever been on the receiving end of flash photography during birthdays or family functions you know how irritating the constant flashes can be.

A 1.8 is what I bought for indoor shooting, a little more money you can get
Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras:Amazon:Camera & Photo

A very good low light 50 mm lens, that can take very good pictures using room light.

I have both the Nikon 50mm 1.4 and the 32mm 1.8, good if you can get closer to the action, found if I shoot with the D3000 or the D5000 and use the Neutral or Standard on Picture Control, ISO 400, set exp comp to -.7 I can get a few really good low light photos, mostly used for Bar Room Bands, and Ladies in the Barn shots, cleaner image in Neutral or Monochrome

CAE

If I were in the market for a long zoom, I'd look at either of these:

2197 Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR II (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Zoom Lens with 5 Year U.S.A. Warranty

2161 Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR (Vibration Reduction) Zoom Nikkor Lens - with 5 Year U.S.A. Warranty

with an eye towards the latter.

You could also consider an 18-200 zoom. I've got one and I love it... I almost don't need any other lenses! (and at the price, I couldn't afford any more for a long time after I bought this one!)

I've got a Tamron 18-270 (which is for sale, btw). I really wanted to love this lens, but it flat out doesn't work on my D90. It works fine on my old D70s and on my daughter's D40. I later found out that there are issues with this lens on a D90 that neither Tamron or Nikon will admit to, but there's a ton of anecdotal information on the internet that sounds a lot like my experience!

I have a non-VR 70-300 zoom that works well, but like others here have suggested, you really have to hold that thing still... I can't use this lens with out a tripod or a monopod. It has trouble in low-light situations; that's often a compromise for the long zoom range.

Let us know what you get!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If I were in the market for a long zoom, I'd look at either of these:

2197 Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR II (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Zoom Lens with 5 Year U.S.A. Warranty

2161 Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR (Vibration Reduction) Zoom Nikkor Lens - with 5 Year U.S.A. Warranty

with an eye towards the latter.

You could also consider an 18-200 zoom. I've got one and I love it... I almost don't need any other lenses! (and at the price, I couldn't afford any more for a long time after I bought this one!)

I've got a Tamron 18-270 (which is for sale, btw). I really wanted to love this lens, but it flat out doesn't work on my D90. It works fine on my old D70s and on my daughter's D40. I later found out that there are issues with this lens on a D90 that neither Tamron or Nikon will admit to, but there's a ton of anecdotal information on the internet that sounds a lot like my experience!

I have a non-VR 70-300 zoom that works well, but like others here have suggested, you really have to hold that thing still... I can't use this lens with out a tripod or a monopod. It has trouble in low-light situations; that's often a compromise for the long zoom range.

Let us know what you get!

THIS is THE lens to have for what he's looking for..

2185 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II Zoom-Nikkor ED-IF Lens - Black Finish - 5 Year Nikon U.S.A. Warranty

70 - 200 with a 2.8 aperature.. FAST lens..

4Father

Is it compatible with the D80? Box looks 70 or 80ish...

Like 35 mm Nikon bodies.

It does have that 70's form. I looked at several lens compatibility charts, but they are over my head. Anyone reading this know if they are compatible and if so fully functional?