Crime Leonardtown Man shoots ranger's dog, then cuts its throat

stgislander

PREMO Member
Exactly - the Ranger MUST know there are hunters in the area. Pretty foolish to let your dog out running wild. Good on the guy for thinking to protect folks from wild dogs.

I believe both dogs were left on a porch when the ranger left to make his rounds. Most likely because he knew there were hunters in the woods. The dogs made a jail break off the porch.

Midnightrider

Even if he thought it was a stray and shot it as he says for the "good of the community" I'm at a loss for why he slit its throat. That's just barbaric. This guy definitely has a screw loose.

He shot the dog twice with a muzzleloader, he was putting it out of its misery when he slit its throat

I believe both dogs were left on a porch when the ranger left to make his rounds. Most likely because he knew there were hunters in the woods. The dogs made a jail break off the porch.

Sounds like he should have secured his pets better. I don't agree with shooting the dog, but the owner could have prevented this by putting his dogs inside, or in a kennel

stgislander

PREMO Member
He shot the dog twice with a muzzleloader, he was putting it out of its misery when he slit its throat

Sounds like he should have secured his pets better. I don't agree with shooting the dog, but the owner could have prevented this by putting his dogs inside, or in a kennel

I was going to say that earlier, but thought better of it.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Idiot was most likely bored so he decided to kill something! It did say the dog was collared and tagged!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Exactly - the Ranger MUST know there are hunters in the area. Pretty foolish to let your dog out running wild. Good on the guy for thinking to protect folks from wild dogs.

I wonder if it was the Ranger who tried to cite me a few years ago for not having my shotgun plugged to a 3 shot maximum. It was an over/under.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Even if he thought it was a stray and shot it as he says for the "good of the community" I'm at a loss for why he slit its throat. That's just barbaric. This guy definitely has a screw loose.

:yeahthat: And for whoever said, the guy cut the dogs throat to put it out of its misery... :smack: Really? Why not just shoot it again. Anyone who cuts an animal's throat has some serious issues, and I'm much more concerned about that person roaming loose, than any dog.

Grumpy

#2 on the hit parade of 10 Most Common Traits of Serial Killers

Almost all serial killers – in fact, 99% of them – admitted that they started by acting out their violent fantasies on animals before graduating to human beings.

officeguy

:yeahthat: And for whoever said, the guy cut the dogs throat to put it out of its misery... :smack: Really? Why not just shoot it again. Anyone who cuts an animal's throat has some serious issues, and I'm much more concerned about that person roaming loose, than any dog.

He was using a muzzle-loader. Not that quick to re-load.

The law that you could shoot dogs running free in MD was changed a couple of years ago. Unless they are attacking your lifestock or you, shooting an unrestrained dog can get you into court real quick these days.

Midnightrider

:killingme

Any hunter or farmer has cut an animals throat at some point. You apparently wouldn't want to be around when they butcher pigs or beef. From the sounds of it this guy was Amish or Mennonite. They certainly don't share your progressive view of animal cruelty.

Restless

I grew up in NJ. We moved down here in '86. I was stunned to find out how backward things were here when it came to how animals were treated. My first shock came when an animal warden came to pick up a kitten that had showed up at my work place. It was around 3 pm. The guy had no other animals to take up to the shelter so my co-worker saw the warden take the kitten and ring it's neck until it was dead. We started to run out of the office to confront him, but he took off. We reported it but nothing was done.

I also know a man who seemed very nice, but if a stray dog or cat came on his property, he shot it. I told him that was cruel. I suggested to him that they could be lost or dumped. He just laughed, and said I was ridiculous. This kind of attitude is what gives the Good Old Boys such a backward reputation.

We have come a long way since then. There are lots of rescue groups here now, and lots of kind, caring animal lovers. Unfortunately, I see from reading these posts, that we still have a long way to go. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat animals.

Lilypad

I grew up in NJ. We moved down here in '86. I was stunned to find out how backward things were here when it came to how animals were treated. My first shock came when an animal warden came to pick up a kitten that had showed up at my work place. It was around 3 pm. The guy had no other animals to take up to the shelter so my co-worker saw the warden take the kitten and ring it's neck until it was dead. We started to run out of the office to confront him, but he took off. We reported it but nothing was done.

I also know a man who seemed very nice, but if a stray dog or cat came on his property, he shot it. I told him that was cruel. I suggested to him that they could be lost or dumped. He just laughed, and said I was ridiculous. This kind of attitude is what gives the Good Old Boys such a backward reputation.

We have come a long way since then. There are lots of rescue groups here now, and lots of kind, caring animal lovers. Unfortunately, I see from reading these posts, that we still have a long way to go. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat animals.

Thank you Restless for you input.
To the folks who find humor and justice in what this "2 legged animal" did when he killed the Ranger's dog-it's all well, good and legal until it's your pet.
How many of you have posted about your pet or a friend's pet escaping from a gate left open, or through a fence, or breaking off it's lead, etc...y'all wring your hands and go on a hunt to help find the pet. Now some of you find this barbaric brutal destruction-shot 2X's and it's throat slit-of a dog justified? Shame on you.
You can't shame the shameless nor reach the conscience of the conscienceless or the heart of the heartless.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Feb. 26 in St. Mary’s District Court. If found guilty of all 3 charges, Marcus S. Stauffer, 20, of Leonardtown faces a maximum sentence of 3 years and a fine of $6,500.

littlelady

God bless the USA
To the folks who find humor and justice in what this "2 legged animal" did when he killed the Ranger's dog-it's all well, good and legal until it's your pet.
How many of you have posted about your pet or a friend's pet escaping from a gate left open, or through a fence, or breaking off it's lead, etc...y'all wring your hands and go on a hunt to help find the pet. Now some of you find this barbaric brutal destruction-shot 2X's and it's throat slit-of a dog justified? Shame on you.
You can't shame the shameless nor reach the conscience of the conscienceless or the heart of the heartless.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Feb. 26 in St. Mary’s District Court. If found guilty of all 3 charges, Marcus S. Stauffer, 20, of Leonardtown faces a maximum sentence of 3 years and a fine of $6,500.

Well said, Lily. It is such a sad story. I think about how awful and sad the Ranger must feel, and the guilt felt that the dogs got out, unintentionally. The killer in this story does not mention he felt threatened by the dog, or it attacked or anything. He did not have to kill the pup. Restless's stories are horrific as well. :frown:

We have had dogs and cats come through our yard over the years, and have captured them, put them on our gated deck or in a kennel, and have found the owners (usually a neighbor), or taken them to the shelter. One time there was a stray collared dog running around on Broomes Island not near where we live. My husband stopped and the dog came right to us. He went door to door in the area and found the owners. They were so grateful and didn't know he had gotten loose. I often don't understand people and what motivates them to do what they do.

black dog

Free America
It amazes me that someone has his day hunting ruined buy a non responsable pet owner, that is also a State Park Ranger living in a State Park that leaves his pets in a area that they can escape from even more so during the winter hunting season. He was stupid..

You liberal folks need to understand, that if you are not a responsable pet owner, there are plenty of folks that will clean up your mess when you fail at taking responsibility for the safety of YOUR pet.
It's so simple, take full responsibility of taking care of your pets and bad things will not happen to them.

black dog

Free America

What no shame on the Park Ranger for not being a good pet owner, how about the rules from DNR on what's acceptable on State Park property ?
What would be the response if this dog was a biter ?
Or it did bite someone ? The dog was running free and it should not have been.
It doesn't matter why, the dog was running free, and it will not be running free anymore. It wasn't the rangers yard, nor was it his neighborhood where neighbors know the dog, it was in a State Park. Dog runs free, BANG, BANG problem solved.
I bet the Ranger controls his pets now. :). :)

Bonehead

It wasn't a male Ranger. Not that gender matters in this case. Your statement is still pure BS.

I know that Mennonites view animals differently but there is no reason or excuse for killing this dog.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It wasn't a male Ranger. Not that gender matters in this case. Your statement is still pure BS.

I know that Mennonites view animals differently but there is no reason or excuse for killing this dog.

#1 Your opinion

#2 You were not there, so, also your opinion

Our opinions won't mean #### to the outcome of this event, but I'll throw mine out here too.

#1 The dog's owner should be charged with an animal at large as stated in §212.9 of ST. MARY’S COUNTY - ANIMAL CONTROL REGULATIONS.

#2 If Yoseph had been an Animal Warden, this would be legal

#3 If anyone remember's the "Head Twisting" Animal Warden, who was let go long ago, they would probably think Yoseph over qualified.

3CATSAILOR

The facts of the case will become apparent in court. The assumptions will be put aside. And the person that killed the dog will be convicted.

stgislander

PREMO Member
From Section 10-416(b) of the MD Annotated Code:

(b)(1) Except as provided in regulations adopted by the Department under paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person may not:
(i) Take a dog into the woods or possess or control a dog in the woods; and
(ii) Use the dog to hunt or pursue deer.

(2) The Department shall adopt regulations governing the use of dogs to aid in the prompt recovery of killed, wounded, or injured deer.
(3) (i) In Baltimore, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George's, Somerset, and Worcester counties, a person may not kill a dog found pursuing a deer.
(ii) In all other counties, any Natural Resources police officer, law enforcement officer, or any other person may kill any dog found pursuing any deer, except in accordance with regulations adopted under paragraph (2) of this subsection.
(iii) In Caroline, Dorchester, Talbot, Kent, Anne Arundel, Cecil, Charles, Garrett, St. Mary's, Queen Anne's, Frederick, Carroll, and Calvert counties, dogs that are engaged in fox hunting and who have broken away may not be killed under this paragraph.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gnr/10-416.html

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
From Section 10-416(b) of the MD Annotated Code:

(b)(1) Except as provided in regulations adopted by the Department under paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person may not:
(i) Take a dog into the woods or possess or control a dog in the woods; and
(ii) Use the dog to hunt or pursue deer.

(2) The Department shall adopt regulations governing the use of dogs to aid in the prompt recovery of killed, wounded, or injured deer.
(3) (i) In Baltimore, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George's, Somerset, and Worcester counties, a person may not kill a dog found pursuing a deer.
(ii) In all other counties, any Natural Resources police officer, law enforcement officer, or any other person may kill any dog found pursuing any deer, except in accordance with regulations adopted under paragraph (2) of this subsection.
(iii) In Caroline, Dorchester, Talbot, Kent, Anne Arundel, Cecil, Charles, Garrett, St. Mary's, Queen Anne's, Frederick, Carroll, and Calvert counties, dogs that are engaged in fox hunting and who have broken away may not be killed under this paragraph.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gnr/10-416.html

From the OP -
Editor said:
Hours later, the ranger encountered Stauffer, who said he thought the dog was a stray and that he "shot it for the public."

Doesn't seem that there was any indication that the dog was pursuing deer at the time it was shot.