Crime Leonardtown Man shoots ranger's dog, then cuts its throat

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Ah, it was a Chesapeake Bay retriever. One of the most friendliest and loyal dogs around, on top of that, very good looking and handsome as well. While the law my be the law, (highly doubtful this fella knew the law) come on, who shoots a Chesapeake Bay retriever? Twice? Would this guy have to shoot a deer 3-4 times if one came into view? So then, you have to think, was his first shot, by a .50 caliber muzzle loader, aimed at say, the hind quarters to just wound and cripple the dog? Then the second shot say, at the front legs to further cripple the dog? Then the coup de grace was his slitting the dogs throat? The dog should be taken to a vet for a professional necropsy to ascertain the extent of its injuries and its manner of death. That will be very telling. Come on, it was a Chesapeake Bay retriever.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Growing up in Western MD, we were taught dogs running loose unattended in the woods during deer season would most likely be shot. It was the one time of the year you didn't take dogs into the woods.

:yay:

that was my understanding .... and 'wild' dogs or cats

Disco Stu

Shut Up Little Man!!!!
The law will be on the side of the hunter when court comes around. Leash laws are there for a reason, keep your pets under control and they will not be killed.
There are plenty of people that will control your pet if you don't take the responsibility of keeping it under control.
Would some feel different if this dog had bit or mauled a child or two ??
It doesn't matter how the dog got free, it was running loose and it should not have been.

What part of "animal cruelty" do you not understand?

You can paint the "what if" scenarios all you want but this man is going to trial and I for one hope he gets the book thrown at him.

Disco Stu

Shut Up Little Man!!!!
It amazes me that someone has his day hunting ruined buy a non responsable pet owner, that is also a State Park Ranger living in a State Park that leaves his pets in a area that they can escape from even more so during the winter hunting season. He was stupid..

You liberal folks need to understand, that if you are not a responsable pet owner, there are plenty of folks that will clean up your mess when you fail at taking responsibility for the safety of YOUR pet.
It's so simple, take full responsibility of taking care of your pets and bad things will not happen to them.

You big dummy. With any luck the guy will do time for this.

You sound like the kind of person who would love any excuse to kill an animal just to get your jollies off. Make sure you change your underwear if you do, as that gooey wet stain in front can be embarrassing.

glhs837

Power with Control
You big dummy. With any luck the guy will do time for this.

You sound like the kind of person who would love any excuse to kill an animal just to get your jollies off. Make sure you change your underwear if you do, as that gooey wet stain in front can be embarrassing.

No kidding. In the plethora of choices you might have when faced with a loose pet, or "cleaning up the mess", I would like to think that "pop off a couple of rounds into the animal, then slit it's throat" is an option that's down the list a bit. Yes, a loose pet of course stands the chance of being shot, folks are after all out there to shoot brown furred critters. But doing that after knowing it's not a deer, doing that barring a threat, seems pretty much like a case of "Damn dog ruined my hunt, lets get some". If he had said he thougt it was a deer when he shot, then cut it's throat to put it out if its misery, he might sound reasonable. But the "OMG, it's a loose dog, better kill it quick" comes off like BS.

Disco Stu

Shut Up Little Man!!!!
It was just an excuse for some idiot to live out his Rambo fantasy. Sort of an appeal to his own ego and manhood.

Kinnakeet

He shot the dog twice with a muzzleloader, he was putting it out of its misery when he slit its throat
EXACTLY

Sounds like he should have secured his pets better. I don't agree with shooting the dog, but the owner could have prevented this by putting his dogs inside, or in a kennel
EXACTLY:howdy:

Kinnakeet

i grew up in nj. We moved down here in '86. I was stunned to find out how backward things were here when it came to how animals were treated. My first shock came when an animal warden came to pick up a kitten that had showed up at my work place. It was around 3 pm. The guy had no other animals to take up to the shelter so my co-worker saw the warden take the kitten and ring it's neck until it was dead. We started to run out of the office to confront him, but he took off. We reported it but nothing was done.

I also know a man who seemed very nice, but if a stray dog or cat came on his property, he shot it. I told him that was cruel. I suggested to him that they could be lost or dumped. He just laughed, and said i was ridiculous. This kind of attitude is what gives the good old boys such a backward reputation.

We have come a long way since then. There are lots of rescue groups here now, and lots of kind, caring animal lovers. Unfortunately, i see from reading these posts, that we still have a long way to go. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat animals.
remember it is an animal not a human being.

Kinnakeet

It amazes me that someone has his day hunting ruined buy a non responsable pet owner, that is also a State Park Ranger living in a State Park that leaves his pets in a area that they can escape from even more so during the winter hunting season. He was stupid..

You liberal folks need to understand, that if you are not a responsable pet owner, there are plenty of folks that will clean up your mess when you fail at taking responsibility for the safety of YOUR pet.
It's so simple, take full responsibility of taking care of your pets and bad things will not happen to them.
:larry: RIGHT ON

Kinnakeet

if i may ...

Ah, it was a chesapeake bay retriever. One of the most friendliest and loyal dogs around, on top of that, very good looking and handsome as well. While the law my be the law, (highly doubtful this fella knew the law) come on, who shoots a chesapeake bay retriever? Twice? Would this guy have to shoot a deer 3-4 times if one came into view? So then, you have to think, was his first shot, by a .50 caliber muzzle loader, aimed at say, the hind quarters to just wound and cripple the dog? Then the second shot say, at the front legs to further cripple the dog? Then the coup de grace was his slitting the dogs throat? The dog should be taken to a vet for a professional necropsy to ascertain the extent of its injuries and its manner of death. That will be very telling. Come on, it was a chesapeake bay retriever.
do you write novels

Kinnakeet

what part of "animal cruelty" do you not understand?

You can paint the "what if" scenarios all you want but this man is going to trial and i for one hope he gets the book thrown at him.
animal cruelty,something made up by democrats to keep people like you voting for them.
It was a dog that interfered with his hunting for meat to feed his family so he did what was necessary to stop the interference with his hunting to feed his family.

Kinnakeet

No kidding. In the plethora of choices you might have when faced with a loose pet, or "cleaning up the mess", I would like to think that "pop off a couple of rounds into the animal, then slit it's throat" is an option that's down the list a bit. Yes, a loose pet of course stands the chance of being shot, folks are after all out there to shoot brown furred critters. But doing that after knowing it's not a deer, doing that barring a threat, seems pretty much like a case of "Damn dog ruined my hunt, lets get some". If he had said he thougt it was a deer when he shot, then cut it's throat to put it out if its misery, he might sound reasonable. But the "OMG, it's a loose dog, better kill it quick" comes off like BS.
"Damn dog ruined my hunt,THIS IS WHAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO AND I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

Salvador

One Nation Under God
animal cruelty,something made up by democrats to keep people like you voting for them.
It was a dog that interfered with his hunting for meat to feed his family so he did what was necessary to stop the interference with his hunting to feed his family.

Retard

glhs837

Power with Control

And you know he was going to feed his family with that meat? Oddly enough that's not his story, he said he was trying to protect people from a stray.

Midnightrider

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/39798...-cuts-its-throat-at-newtowne-neck-state-park/

"On Thursday, April 7, 2016 a St. Mary’s County man was ordered to do 100 hours of community service and pay $1,000 to the owner of a dog that was shot and its throat cut at a state park late last year.

In a plea agreement, Marcus Stauffer, 20, of Leonardtown, also was ordered by a district court judge to stay away from Newtowne Neck State Park for one year. The aggravated animal cruelty case was marked as inactive but may be re-opened within one year if the conditions are violated."

As I understand it the church will likely pay his fine. So all he will be out is his community service time.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
How does the community service work - does he pick what he will do and clear it with the court or do they assign and he picks from there or what?

There is a long list of "approved" activities that qualify as community service. Everything from helping cook or do dishes at a benefit (firehouse breakfasts, for example) to cleaning duty at a rescue squad building...helping out at the Blessing of the Fleet..and on and on. At the discretion of the parole officer, even things not on the list but deemed beneficial to the community can qualify.

The court stays out of that; they just wait for the signed off list to come back.