Leonardtown, North Beach recovering from Kaseya ransomware

LtownTaxpayer

Backups are some of your best friends - assuming you know when ransomware was downloaded and you have backups that predate it.

Reactions: Erk

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Yep, the story even made the WashPo and Drudge Report:

It was just after 12:30 p.m. on the Friday before the Fourth of July holiday when a warning popped up on Laschelle McKay’s computer screen.

McKay, the town administrator for Leonardtown, Md., didn’t even have time to read the whole message before it disappeared and her computer froze.

“Everything shut down,” she said in an interview. “You couldn’t open any document, you’re completely locked from all your files.”

The town government's computers were being managed by a regional company called JustTech, according to the WashPo story. They installed the Kaseya software on the town's computers to facilitate remote management.:

Kaseya announced the compromise of their software on Friday, 02-JUL, the same day Leonardtown's and North Beach's computers were encrypted.

Last edited:

Ashnm

Yep, Even hit the WashPo and Drudge Report:

The town government's computers were being managed by a local company called JustTech, owned by one Joshua Justice:

Yes they utilize Kaseya software, which was attacked. They’ve been very open and transparent about it.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
North Beach also hit:

Another town in Maryland, North Beach, issued a news release confirming that it, too, had been a victim of the attack. The town’s water and phone systems were still working, it said.

Last edited:

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Backups are some of your best friends - assuming you know when ransomware was downloaded and you have backups that predate it.
The problem is that as of Windows 10, the backup was switched from a system image to a file history mechanism. So, instead of writing an image/archive to an external device and then disconnecting it, Win10 File history requires a mounted drive at all times. If you get encrypted, presumably the backup drive will get it too.

I guess there are other solutions available.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The problem is that as of Windows 10, the backup was switched from a system image to a file history mechanism. So, instead of writing an image/archive to an external device and then disconnecting it, Win10 File history requires a mounted drive at all times. If you get encrypted, presumably the backup drive will get it too.

I guess there are other solutions available.
Part of the reason why I have started learning and switching to Linux.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I would assume that Microsoft could fix the problem by only allowing File Write operations to the File History drive by trusted applications.
It seems that Micro$loth is less and less interested in the effects their OS holes have on the end user over the decades since I first used MS DOS.