Lessons learned on the trails?

Wait4It..boom

So... had a wonderful 3 days of riding this past weekend. Took out the new guy I bought in NOVEMBER for the first time (dang snow/cold weather/life obstacles). We put him through the ringer though (water, swamp, road, cars, barking/chasing dogs, down trees, clearings, woods, thick brush, donkeys, and a swarm of insects - that was fun! :sarcasm: ). I'm very excited that he passed with flying colors and only slightly balked (more so just stared) at the donkeys we passed (of all things)!!

While our horses were fantastic, the surroundings had a few not so ideal moments. We had a dog here and there that came to chase and bark at us in the road. While the horses were unphased, I thought it rude the people, sitting outside in their lounge chairs, were blase about retrieving said dog. Still astounds me as well so many people pass us in their cars and barely slow down while one guy actually sped up!

Anyone have any good tricks they use? :boxing: I'm thinking of buying/carrying a paintball gun... :whistle:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
So... had a wonderful 3 days of riding this past weekend. Took out the new guy I bought in NOVEMBER for the first time (dang snow/cold weather/life obstacles). We put him through the ringer though (water, swamp, road, cars, barking/chasing dogs, down trees, clearings, woods, thick brush, donkeys, and a swarm of insects - that was fun! :sarcasm: ). I'm very excited that he passed with flying colors and only slightly balked (more so just stared) at the donkeys we passed (of all things)!!

While our horses were fantastic, the surroundings had a few not so ideal moments. We had a dog here and there that came to chase and bark at us in the road. While the horses were unphased, I thought it rude the people, sitting outside in their lounge chairs, were blase about retrieving said dog. Still astounds me as well so many people pass us in their cars and barely slow down while one guy actually sped up!

Anyone have any good tricks they use? :boxing: I'm thinking of buying/carrying a paintball gun... :whistle:

Carry a cell phone and call animal control.

As far as road safety I agree there is an issue, I think the community as a whole is pretty ignorant about how to approach safely, equestrians that are traveling down the road. I think we need more education in that area for the general public. Maybe Radio announcements in the spring remind people of basic common courtesies and safety concerns regarding approaching people on horse back along the roadway. (kind of like the reminders they give when school is starting up about bus safety and associated laws) (Cyclists have had some of the same concerns for years)

Last edited:

Wait4It..boom

Always carry my cell phone. Love the water balloon idea. And totally agree people are ignorant ;0). Had one mom whizzing by in her minivan smiling and waving and pointing out the horses for the kids in the back. It never occurred to her 50+ mph might be a little fast. Planning to at least call the county to put up a few 'horse crossing' signs. It's at least a start.

ElliesMom

Be prepaered for confromtation though. Have had people stop to yeall at me for theowinf a fairly harmless water baloon at them... I asked them why they thought it was ok to speed by me, far too close while riding a 1500# animal.

Wait4It..boom

SUPPOSED to be 35-40mph, depending which area. Thankfully it's a dead end so not much traffic. But it's a fairly straight and level road with farmland on either side, so people floor it.

fredsaid2

Be prepaered for confromtation though. Have had people stop to yeall at me for theowinf a fairly harmless water baloon at them... I asked them why they thought it was ok to speed by me, far too close while riding a 1500# animal.

Are you saying you threw a water balloon at a vehicle? I wouldn't think this a good idea. People get shot for far less (road rage). I rode along county roads when I was a kid. I wouldn't dream of doing it now. Trailer where you need to go and ride the trails.

ElliesMom

Are you saying you threw a water balloon at a vehicle? I wouldn't think this a good idea. People get shot for far less (road rage). I rode along county roads when I was a kid. I wouldn't dream of doing it now. Trailer where you need to go and ride the trails.

I live off a very FAST road, its a short sistance (1/4 mile) to the trail, but I have had people blow by me at almost 60 on a two lane road, I have had people ry to reach out and slap my horse while on said road, and Yes, I have launched ONE waterballon. That was more than enough for me actually. There are some simply NASTY people where I live though. Not out in the country like most of you.

SugarNSpikes

Carry a cell phone and call animal control.

As far as road safety I agree there is an issue, I think the community as a whole is pretty ignorant about how to approach safely, equestrians that are traveling down the road. I think we need more education in that area for the general public.

I board at a farm with a very long driveway. Occasionally, for grins and giggles, I will ride to the end of the driveway and then walk back. There's always SOME moron driving by that has to honk and make a spectacle. Is that REALLY necessary? I just smile and wave as they pass by. My horse (thank god) isn't bothered by any of this, but it's just moral of the thing...I wish I could find these people, put them up on a spooky horse, and then drive around and honk the horn and throw "scary" things at said horse.. and see how they like it..

Wait4It..boom

I live off a very FAST road, its a short sistance (1/4 mile) to the trail, but I have had people blow by me at almost 60 on a two lane road, I have had people ry to reach out and slap my horse while on said road, and Yes, I have launched ONE waterballon. That was more than enough for me actually. There are some simply NASTY people where I live though. Not out in the country like most of you.

You should hear the stories that Elam has about similar things. He says people throw objects at the Amish horses or the buggy as they drive by (even something as small as a bottle cap on a highway can do major damage if it hits someone or the horse). Drives me nuts to hear stories like that.

Wait4It..boom

I board at a farm with a very long driveway. Occasionally, for grins and giggles, I will ride to the end of the driveway and then walk back. There's always SOME moron driving by that has to honk and make a spectacle. Is that REALLY necessary? I just smile and wave as they pass by. My horse (thank god) isn't bothered by any of this, but it's just moral of the thing...I wish I could find these people, put them up on a spooky horse, and then drive around and honk the horn and throw "scary" things at said horse.. and see how they like it..

Completely agree. Thankfully no one has been that stupid yet. Although would be likely I could follow them since there's only a few houses around. :whistle: maybe that's why they're on slightly better behavior.

LilHorseChick

100% John Deere Cowgirl
Country Lakes is no better. Grante during the day its not as busy but on weekends and after school you get lots of cars and 4-wheelers. Thank god none of our horses pay any mind.. :yahoo: but ppl dont have to speed up and go bye...

appaholic

I too, trailer everywhere, even when only a mile! But, I think it is absurd that for the safety of my horse/self I have to! We DEFINATELY need more education, manners and general kindness! Two years ago, while in England for the summer, I was amazed that people did not become rude when they were held up by people unloading their horses on a public road for a hack, or dogs (extremely well behaved ones granted) in very upscale restaurants. And daily I awoke to the sound of someone on their morning ride in the suburbs of a town larger than Lexington Park! Why not here in the US? I think it would be nice to have the option and the added small plus of occasionallly traveling "green".

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I too, trailer everywhere, even when only a mile! But, I think it is absurd that for the safety of my horse/self I have to! We DEFINATELY need more education, manners and general kindness! Two years ago, while in England for the summer, I was amazed that people did not become rude when they were held up by people unloading their horses on a public road for a hack, or dogs (extremely well behaved ones granted) in very upscale restaurants. And daily I awoke to the sound of someone on their morning ride in the suburbs of a town larger than Lexington Park! Why not here in the US? I think it would be nice to have the option and the added small plus of occasionallly traveling "green".

This is why many roads in place like Aldie, Middleburg, Upperville, etc. don't have paved residential roads. Many of the big farms are on very long unpaved roads to help keep drivers going slow. It's not uncommon to see horses, hounds, and carriages on the roads.

fredsaid2

That kind of vacation sounds nice! I agree, being able to recreate that mind set here would be wonderful, but it will never happen. Even way back we'd have people deliberately try to spook our horses and we were little kids. That was long before the base grew so can't blame it on outsiders. Was yours a riding vac?

Wait4It..boom

I was in England a few weeks ago and it was great to see COEXISTING in one of the castle parks. There was a hunt, a 5k race for the cure, deer grazing (although they call them "deer" they were the size of ELK!), cars moving through, and families out walking their dogs. There was a huge flurry of activity and no one was impatient with the other. We could only wish for an OUNCE of that.
I heard on the radio the other day a reminder to take caution with cyclists and children playing in residential areas. They should add horse riders to that list.

appaholic

That kind of vacation sounds nice! I agree, being able to recreate that mind set here would be wonderful, but it will never happen. Even way back we'd have people deliberately try to spook our horses and we were little kids. That was long before the base grew so can't blame it on outsiders. Was yours a riding vac?

A summer vacation for the kids/self, but hubby was working there for 6 months. It really is a lovely country and a great place for animal lovers! It truely was like going back in time, milk and dairy products are still delivered to the house. Everyone uses the paths thur private land with just the request to leave gates as you found them!
Before I am to old to ride I want to do a countryside ride from castle to castle to dine/sleep overnight! Ofcourse, hubby wants to do the bike version!