Let's Talk Foundation

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So I'm not a big make-up person, minimal effort is always my goal.

I do not do well with the mineral make-up that seems to be the rage. I've tried several different things and well, lets say my counter wears more make-up than I do. It also doesn't seem to look that good on me, maybe because of the dryness of my skin.

Since I've not been 100% lately, I've been experimenting with some make-up so I don't look like I'm on my deathbed. Lately, I've been wearing a cream make-up foundation that I apply with a sponge that a former forumite gave to me a super long time ago trying to convince me to wear make-up. I am surprised that I really like it and decided I might want to venture out and try something else that's similar. But as I started surfing Sephora, I went into sensory overload and shut down.

Does anybody have any recommendations or suggestions?

stockgirl

Stocki
I only wear makeup once or twice a month. When I do wear foundation it's Cover Girl Smoothers Aqua. I've been wearing CG foundation since I was in high school without any problems. :yay:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Since you have dry skin, ever try a bb cream? its basically a tinted moisturizer and seems to give fairly decent coverage if you don't have problem skin and need a little smoothing out..that with a mineral based translucent powder is quick and natural looking..I believe they are getting ready to release a "cc" cream as well that is sup to have more coverage.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Since you have dry skin, ever try a bb cream? its basically a tinted moisturizer and seems to give fairly decent coverage if you don't have problem skin and need a little smoothing out..that with a mineral based translucent powder is quick and natural looking..I believe they are getting ready to release a "cc" cream as well that is sup to have more coverage.

Thanks for the input. That actually sounds like a good idea. Do you have a brand you'd recommend?

Thanks for the input. That actually sounds like a good idea. Do you have a brand you'd recommend?

I use Loreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB as my moisturizer/base before my bare minerals and love love love it. Just a suggestion... if you make your make-up product purchases at CVS, they will give you a full refund for the product if you don't like it... even though it is open and used.

Here... check out the pros/cons in the review section...

Buy L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator SPF 15, Light & More | drugstore.com

Perfect Skin Starts Here

In One Step:

•Evens
•Illuminates
•Perfects
•Moisturizes
•Corrects
Experience 5 complexion-perfecting benefits in a single step. Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator provides a hint of luminosity and sheer tint, while promoting a more even tone, perfecting skin texture, moisturizing and protecting with SPF 15. Available in 2 luminous shades.

Pros

Easy to apply (4)
Good pigmentation (4)
Natural looking (4)
Blends well (3)
Lightweight (3)

Cons
none

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

I have been using the covergirl version, I like it, has less coverage than the loreal version, but is much lighter ..my skin has been crazy oily lately (total departure from my norm which is desert dry) so I liked the lighter feel..The loreal one is great though, esp great for dry skin I would think. And bare minerals has several versions of their "mineral veil" with diff light tints (I use their goldish one to even out any red) that just make everything smooth and pretty..

Philosophy also has a really great "primer" tinted spf bb-ish stuff called the supernatural..it is pretty amazing as a primer under mineral makeup or alone..keeps the skin from being dry, smooths everything over, evens..

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Supernatural-Poreless-Flawless-Tinted/dp/B000FV69MC

LT is right... you have to find the one that works for your complexion type. My sis is dry and really fair where I am oily and light so we can never agree on the same products. :lol:

I recommended the Loreal Youth Cream because it rates better for dry skin. I use the Loreal Magic BB which I find to be lighter and better for my oily skin.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thank you everybody. I really think this BB cream sounds right up my alley and I'll try out a brand or two or more. :lol: I would have never thought to try it without your input.

Also Kwillia I had no clue about CVS' make-up policy so I really appreciate that tip.

WrapLady

Mineral makeup is a no go for dry skin. It emphasizes every dry patch, flake, etc. If the BB creams don't work for you my all time favorite foundation is Make Up Forever's HD foundation. It's medium coverage but can be built to full without looking like a coat of paint. Anytime I wear it I get lots of compliments. Even though I do airbrush, I personally prefer this foundation over airbrush and it's what I used at my wedding. I set it with Ben Nye's Banana Powder and it looks awesome. Ben Nye also has a top notch translucent powder which works well on all skin tones, best of all it's really cheap. You can get it online for a few bucks. Good luck!

Last edited:

doubtfull24

I have been using DR.Jart bb cream and love it! I first got the sample from birch box then I used my birch box points and ordered a full size and I am glad I did! I only ended up paying like 13 bucks for it! It goes on nicely and it doesn't cause me to be oily like some other things have. It only takes a pea size amount to cover the face then a use a little light bronzer to set it. I also really like Mac studio fix powder it goes on smooth with a sponge and gives full coverage like a liquid would. However I still think my all time favorite is bare minerals summer bisque. I am not sure what color you're skin tone is but the Dr.Jart is kind of light. I have light freckles but you wouldn't know it because the makeup covers them completely. I really love watching Emily's video's ! She reviews makeup and other beauty products. I have learned about a lot of great product from her videos!

Try This, Not That: Foundation - YouTube

Beauty Broadcast - YouTube

Last edited:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I also use Dr Jart BB Cream and I like it. Like LT said, it will even out your skin tone but will not hide blemishes. I was having a problem with my normal skin turning oily by the end of the day but I figured out that I can just skip my moisturizer in the morning and use the BB Cream to avoid that. I received a CC cream in my last birchbox and liked it as well, but the packaging sucked so I cannot recommend it. It wasn't any better than BB cream anyway.

One thing to note: BB creams usually only come in one shade. It will look ridiculous when you first put it on, but will be fine once you blend it out. A bonus is that it really looks best when you apply it with your fingers and you only need a little dab.

onelove6366

MAC. I use Studio pressed powder - I can't remember the shade. Powder blush and spritz your face with the Studio FIX spray (I call it water - but my daughter tells me it has minerals and caffeine in it - whatever I don't care it works). Black mascara, I use brown eye shadow on the bottom of my lid, grain eye shadow on the top and it is DONE! 5 minutes. No touch up necessary all day long. I LOVE IT! It is PRICEY but believe me it lasts a LONG TIME and is well worth the $$$. I'm not a big make up person either and it has to be FAST and easy or not at all.

MAC counter is in Macy's. Don't let the girls and their heavy make up scare you. I just go in and tell them what I want, but it and it's done.

So I'm not a big make-up person, minimal effort is always my goal.

I do not do well with the mineral make-up that seems to be the rage. I've tried several different things and well, lets say my counter wears more make-up than I do. It also doesn't seem to look that good on me, maybe because of the dryness of my skin.

Since I've not been 100% lately, I've been experimenting with some make-up so I don't look like I'm on my deathbed. Lately, I've been wearing a cream make-up foundation that I apply with a sponge that a former forumite gave to me a super long time ago trying to convince me to wear make-up. I am surprised that I really like it and decided I might want to venture out and try something else that's similar. But as I started surfing Sephora, I went into sensory overload and shut down.

Does anybody have any recommendations or suggestions?

RidgeChick

MAC. I use Studio pressed powder - I can't remember the shade. Powder blush and spritz your face with the Studio FIX spray (I call it water - but my daughter tells me it has minerals and caffeine in it - whatever I don't care it works). Black mascara, I use brown eye shadow on the bottom of my lid, grain eye shadow on the top and it is DONE! 5 minutes. No touch up necessary all day long. I LOVE IT! It is PRICEY but believe me it lasts a LONG TIME and is well worth the $$$. I'm not a big make up person either and it has to be FAST and easy or not at all.

MAC counter is in Macy's. Don't let the girls and their heavy make up scare you. I just go in and tell them what I want, but it and it's done.

I use Mac MatchMaster - ran out and couldn't get up to Waldorf for a bit, so am trying Estee Lauder Double Wear. Its ok. I will prbly go back to Mac tho....

onelove6366

I've never tried any other of the MAC line of products other than the Studio Fix for my face. I have no idea what line the eye shadow comes from. I am not super happy with their mascara but buy it anyway because I buy it all in one place and I don't like any other mascara any better.

You can order MAC online too. I figure I am spending around $100-150 a year on make up and I am sure that would be comparable if I used lower end products and had to replace them more often.

I'm the type of person that when I like a product I will use it until they discontinue and and then search online until everyone's stash is gone too.

I use Mac MatchMaster - ran out and couldn't get up to Waldorf for a bit, so am trying Estee Lauder Double Wear. Its ok. I will prbly go back to Mac tho....

doubtfull24

I've never tried any other of the MAC line of products other than the Studio Fix for my face. I have no idea what line the eye shadow comes from. I am not super happy with their mascara but buy it anyway because I buy it all in one place and I don't like any other mascara any better.

You can order MAC online too. I figure I am spending around $100-150 a year on make up and I am sure that would be comparable if I used lower end products and had to replace them more often.

I'm the type of person that when I like a product I will use it until they discontinue and and then search online until everyone's stash is gone too.

Do not waste you're money on MAC Mascara it really sucks!! Almost any store brand works better! I am currently using almay get up and grow.I also like covergirl lashblast. I do love Mac studio fix powder it really does go on super smooth not at all powdery or flakey. I use color nw25.. Another good foundation is revlon color stay the new whipped is pretty good as well.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I just started wearing Matchmaster a couple weeks ago and I love love love it. It feels like you're not wearing anything at all and has great coverage (I'd say it's about medium coverage which is perfect for me). I've also been using their Mineralize concealer and Mineralize Skinfinish to set everything. My skin never gets oily and looks great all day!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
LT is right... you have to find the one that works for your complexion type. My sis is dry and really fair where I am oily and light so we can never agree on the same products. :lol:

I recommended the Loreal Youth Cream because it rates better for dry skin. I use the Loreal Magic BB which I find to be lighter and better for my oily skin.

Since it was easy to find, and it was a first attempt with the BB, I bought the Loreal Youth Cream BB. It's nice in the aspect it doesn't dry out my face and isn't heavy or anything. It also seems to level out my skin tone, which is nice. I think it would be great for me if I was feeling good and healthy.

However, I have a lot of yellow in my skin and the BB doesn't really do anything to give me "color" which is what I was looking for. I am looking a touch washed out and sickly and I was hoping for a little more of a healthy color from the foundation.

Any more suggestions? Mac and Make-up Forever seem to be the other options listed versus a BB.