Liar, character assassin, bigot – Pete Buttigieg is a natural leader for the Democrats.

Toxick

Splat
I don't like the word "homophobe" because it's a stupid made up word that doesn't mean anything. I'm not a fan of how the progs **** up our language and change the meanings of words so they'll have something simple to scream at people they disagree with. It's a little too 1984 for me.

Well, that is certainly double-plus ungood.

But like it or not, that's the word we're currently stuck with. That or bigot - but bigot is too generic. Like I said, come up with another one. Maybe it'll go viral and catch-on. Homophobe had to start somewhere.

How about "Nolikeythegay"?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

But like it or not, that's the word we're currently stuck with. That or bigot - but bigot is too generic. Like I said, come up with another one. Maybe it'll go viral and catch-on. Homophobe had to start somewhere.

Nah, I'll just stop using the word and ridicule those who do. It's more fun that way.

Them: Homophobe!
Me: What does that even mean?
Them: :tantrum :jameo: :cds:

Hell, it was fun just typing that.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Semantics.

Don't like the word homophobe? Islamophobe? Phobophobe… find another, more accurate, term. Wonderful thing about the English language - it's alive and evolving.

Currently, the word means what it means. I'm not about to debate that homophobe means something else because you don't like the term, and the root words don't add up.

If you're going to debate at that level, the word homophobe means you're afraid of things like yourself.

You know, because "homo" doesn't mean "gay" it means "the same".

Pfft.
I think you think I'm picking a fight with you. I'm not. Merely pointing out how words are being weaponized in a very Orwellian sense.

That's a problem whether done by Right or Left (though, as an aside, historically it seems a trick far more often used by the Left than the Right). Methinks, anyway.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Why do you immediately go to "bigot"? That's unfair.

And yes, "homophobe" did start somewhere: with gay and lesbian activists who saw it a a very successful co-opting of the English language to put their opponents on the defensive. Just like the co-opting the word "gay" itself.

Matters of preference can be just that long before we get to where preference strays over into bigotry.

One can have a principled belief that something is harmful without being a bigot. So if I think alcoholic behavior isn't helpful that makes me a bigot?

Immediately going to "bigot" before an honest exchange of views seems quite DEFCON1. We are never going to bridge the cultural divide that Buttigieg seems so concerned about if this (i.e., "you're a bigot," you're a racist") is going to be the go-to first position (which is exactly what Buttigieg is doing). Unless, of course, that is exactly the point of the whole exercise....

Maybe now I am picking a fight with you.

--- End of line (MCP)

Toxick

Splat
I think you think I'm picking a fight with you. I'm not. Merely pointing out how words are being weaponized in a very Orwellian sense.

I get that. And I agree with it. Back when this "Politically Correct" movement really began to pick up steam back in the 90's that was the analogue I drew, and nothing since has changed my mind.

Even the term "Politically Correct" is infused with a subjective opinion that subconsciously points to being the only legit way.

More and more the left seems to be using the book 1984 as a strategy guide.

Example the Covington teen (I forget his name now... the famous one with the hat) - everyone on the left freaked out over the rictus plastered on his mug as that idiot banged a drum in his face.

In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face (to look incredulous when a victory was announced, for example) was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime, it was called.
-- George Mother ****ing Orwell.

That's a problem whether done by Right or Left (though, as an aside, historically it seems a trick far more often used by the Left than the Right). Methinks, anyway.

True, but still, be that as it may, there is a need for a word. "Homophobe" currently fits the bill. Like it or not. My suggestion to come up with a better term was not sardonic irony. Seriously - if someone comes up with a better word for it, I'll use it.

Toxick

Splat
Why do you immediately go to "bigot"? That's unfair.

Well, if we're going to get into a dumbass semantic debate, let's bandy all the words about.

And why is it unfair?
It refers to the prejudicial and unequal treatment of a targeted group based on a quality that's different from the norm....

Give me another word. I'm all ears!

One can have a principled belief that something is harmful without being a bigot. So if I think alcoholic behavior isn't helpful that makes me a bigot?

So... I entered this conversation after this quote was thrown out into the aether:

my revulsion at two men taking turns in poking each other in the anus

So.... that's supposed to bridge cultural divides, is it?

Maybe now I am picking a fight with you.

Heh.

Hijinx

Actually, that's kind of the definition of a homophobe.

Although the dictionary is probably less graphic and doesn't mention the poking of anuses (ani?)
Hating the act does not make me hate the person., and I certainly do not fear them.

Yooper

True, but still, be that as it may, there is a need for a word. "Homophobe" currently fits the bill. Like it or not. My suggestion to come up with a better term was not sardonic irony. Seriously - if someone comes up with a better word for it, I'll use it.
I think the problem is it begs the question.

Why do we even need to come up with a term. Sort of like the discussion (earlier and in a different thread) about "hate crime." Don't like that at all. Is it a crime or not? If yes, prosecute. If no, leave it be. Hate generally isn't a crime, but the two were conflated to make political hash.

So my sense is that I don't want to try to find a word.

But I concede it's important to some people to have a word and as such concede your point.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

my revulsion at two men taking turns in poking each other in the anus

So.... that's supposed to bridge cultural divides, is it?
Fair point.

Not that this adds anything. but here goes, anyway. For me - and me alone - I can say this: while I'm not entirely successful, I do try to be civil; I do try not to use what others may consider inflammatory/divisive language. I enjoy the debate, but mostly I enjoy the discussion.

--- End of line (MCP)

Toxick

Splat
I think the problem is it begs the question.

Why do we even need to come up with a term.

Because the concept exists. It comes up in conversations - terms are very handy in conversing about concepts.

Sort of like the discussion (earlier and in a different thread) about "hate crime." Don't like that at all. Is it a crime or not? If yes, prosecute. If no, leave it be. Hate generally isn't a crime, but the two were conflated to make political hash.

I actually see the need for the term "hate crime".

You committed a crime because you hate someone. Whether you think they're an *******, or because you don't like their skin tone.

What I do disagree with is modifying a criminal's sentence because the crime was motivated from hatred. I don't give two shits why someone beat someone else to a pulp. The fact is they did it, and the sentence should equally harsh whether they did it for monetary gain, or skin color, or where the victim puts their genitals.

IMO.

Yooper

Because the concept exists. It comes up in conversations - terms are very handy in conversing about concepts.

I actually see the need for the term "hate crime".

You committed a crime because you hate someone. Whether you think they're an ***, or because you don't like their skin tone.

What I do disagree with is modifying a criminal's sentence because the crime was motivated from hatred. I don't give two shits why someone beat someone else to a pulp. The fact is they did it, and the sentence should equally harsh whether they did it for monetary gain, or skin color, or where the victim puts their genitals.

IMO.
Fair on both points. Thanks. Good adds.

--- End of line (MCP)

Toxick

Splat
Not that this adds anything. but here goes, anyway. For me - and me alone - I can say this: while I'm not entirely successful, I do try to be civil; I do try not to use what others may consider inflammatory/divisive language. I enjoy the debate, but mostly I enjoy the discussion.

You seem perfectly civil to me!