Liberal Companies Working to Destroy Democracy

rmorse

hardly ........ The Internal Combustion Engine isn't going anywhere for another 50 yrs at least

Agreed, except with new cars. The majority will be fully electric.

We’re both welcome to our own opinions. Based on a couple of comments in this thread though, I’d suggest that some opinions on electric cars seem to be based on outdated electric vehicles.

rmorse

I have no dog in this fight .... :cheers:

I apologize if it came off like I’m fighting; I didn’t mean for that to happen. I’m passionate about cars and bikes and love talking about them.

I resisted electric for far too long and now I’m seeing what it can do and it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Honestly, I’m most excited about the bikes. Specifically, the KTM Freeride. If they get their ride time up a bit on that, I can see myself selling my Husqvarna FE350 for it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I apologize if it came off like I’m fighting;

not at all, you were correct in your assessment, the general consensus was out of date ... the updated information nice, unless someone is 100% giving away all electric cars with a 100 mile range I am never getting one .... we don't have charging stations at work and I go 35ish miles each way

rmorse

not at all, you were correct in your assessment, the general consensus was out of date ... the updated information nice, unless someone is 100% giving away all electric cars with a 100 mile range I am never getting one .... we don't have charging stations at work and I go 35ish miles each way

I used to be the same way until I saw how absolutely mind boggling the newer ones are. Like, face melting performance....we're talking 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, with instant torque when you hit it. I can't wait to see where they take it next. The rate of improvement/change is so fast right now.

EDIT - I just looked it up...it's faster now. It's 0-60 in 2.3 seconds now.

I can use my rechargeable leaf blower for 75 minutes if I keep it on low... it last about 10 minutes if I use the turbo to blast the nooks and crannies. Same will happen with cars and trucks. Batteries lose ability to maintain charge as we recharge them over time. There is a big expense in replacing batteries in these electric vehicles. Seems to me owners need to start a savings account for new batteries same year they invest 40k fir their new rechargeable car.

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think the average life span is 5 yrs ..... if you are not a long term user, you don't have to worry

glhs837

Power with Control
We have to fight electrification every step of the way, I’m not driving a tonka truck around the farm...sad Monday folks

I see Morse covered it all. But really, folks do some eyes open research.

1. Doesn't take all night to charge. Could if you use 110v, but most don't. Use 220 and it's not that long at all, depends on your use. What do you drive in a day? Average day, that is, over 90% of commutes are less than 50 miles. Add another 15-20 for errands, and you are under 100 miles a day. That refill at your home 220 outlet? Pretty quick. Last time I ran out of gas? Maybe 20 years ago?

2. I'll never not have a gas car, I think you all know I love cars with gears and such. But electrics have many benefits.

3. Recharge cost at home is virtually never going to be more than gas. Look for the math, it's out there. Even with record low gas prices, you need over the top electric rates to even come close. And of course, all the cost you lose without needing oil changes and air filters, and spark plugs.

4. It'll be a few years til used ones reach "normal" prices, but that's coming, as are decently ranged ones for under 30K. So if you are a $3000 dollar car guy (I have three here at the house that were purchased under that amount :) ) then none for you yet.

glhs837

Power with Control
I can use my rechargeable leaf blower for 75 minutes if I keep it on low... it last about 10 minutes if I use the turbo to blast the nooks and crannies. Same will happen with cars and trucks. Batteries lose ability to maintain charge as we recharge them over time. There is a big expense in replacing batteries in these electric vehicles. Seems to me owners need to start a savings account for new batteries same year they invest 40k fir their new rechargeable car.

Keep in mind, you battery powered leaf blower is using less than state of the art, and most importantly, doesnt have a Battery Management System that cools and heats the cells as needed to optimize charging rates. So far, battery packs in newer ones are looking to last far longer than most people ever keep a car. Latest Tesla packs are looking to be good for 300K-500K. Next gen looking to be good for a million miles.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So if you are a $3000 dollar car guy (I have three here at the house that were purchased under that amount :) ) then none for you yet.

sht dude ..... even 20 yr old Honda Insights are ridiculous or they were when I looked at the the 99ish models 10 yrs ago

yes I know a Hybrid is not an all electric ......

other notes I saw the Tesla ' drive ' train is now offered as some sort of KIT

rmorse

Your rechargeable leaf blower's battery is not comparable to the high tech batteries found in the new electric cars. Yes, batteries do lose that ability. Gas motors wear out too. You can expect to get 5-8 years at an average of like 15k miles a year out of current electric car batteries. Those numbers are improving each year. Keep in mind how much money and time you will save with maintaining the electric (no oil changes, transmission fluid changes, air filter changes, spark plug changes, etc.).

rmorse

Keep in mind, you battery powered leaf blower is using less than state of the art, and most importantly, doesnt have a Battery Management System that cools and heats the cells as needed to optimize charging rates. So far, battery packs in newer ones are looking to last far longer than most people ever keep a car. Latest Tesla packs are looking to be good for 300K-500K. Next gen looking to be good for a million miles.

Beat me to it lol

glhs837

Power with Control
sht dude ..... even 20 yr old Honda Insights are ridiculous or they were when I looked at the the 99ish models 10 yrs ago

yes I know a Hybrid is not an all electric ......

other notes I saw the Tesla ' drive ' train is now offered as some sort of KIT

Not really, integrating the pack into most cars requires silly fab skills. GM is offering something, but the range sucks and stills requires a lot of fab.

SamSpade

The people who have electric cars plug them in every night at the house. It’s a lot different than refilling at the gas station because you aren’t refilling your gas vehicle every single night while you sleep. The only time you should worry about running out of juice is if your driving longer than the vehicle’s range in one shot. I.e., road trip.

Which is effectively rather often, for me. Heading to the Eastern shore and back for my kid's sports - driving to Baltimore and DC for another kid's doctors and surgeons - and then going to the airport to pick someone up. In a pinch if I need to drive to Delaware to pick up my aunt and drive her to Jersey and then come back home. Going on vacation to the cape or the mountains. ANY camping trip with my son - and it has to be rugged enough to handle steep inclines and roads that aren't nicely paved. Unless that battery can recharge fast - it's not going to be useful, and unless charging stations are everywhere or they make SOME kind of useful "extra" battery - it won't be an option. Because chances are very good that while there will almost always be a gas station SOMEWHERE nearby - in the desert, mountains and so on - charging stations won't be there.

I do admit that for someone who just drives around in the city or never ventures more than twenty miles from their house - except "road trips" - I can see how it could be useful. My sister gets around in a golf cart. Electric. She never ever goes further than five miles from her house, has no family living with her, lives alone and any further trip she just uses Uber. Electric is fine for her.

As far as gas versus electric tools, electric is now outperforming gas if you buy the right stuff.

Which is kind of like if you want speed in a car, try a Porsche or Ferrari. Not happening. If a product can't compete price-wise with what I have, not buying it. I remember when I was a young engineer one of my associates dropped a ton on a new sports car. I said what the hell are you wasting all that money for? He said because it went very fast. I said yeah but ONE you can't drive that fast legally and two, you do all your driving on Rockville Pike and 270. You'll have all that horsepower but still creep along in traffic. He answered yeah but it's KNOWING I could go that fast. I answered I'd rather NOT know at all, and keep the extra money in my pocket. I don't drop money on luxury that serves no purpose.

I could buy the "right stuff" but I'd be throwing money away. Not a good return on investment. I'd be spending money just to show off how much money I spent.

$40l for a new vehicle is “reasonable.” I would not pay it either;

If you added up every price tag for every new car I have ever bought - including nearly new cars - it MIGHT come to 60k. I largely draw the line at one fourth a yearly salary - beyond that, you're throwing away money. TECHNICALLY you're not supposed to spend more than a quarter of your take home for mortgage or rent - that's never been true. But I can't afford more than a fifth of my take home for a car. Never have.

All I’m saying is, electric cars are the future. I don’t mean that in a wide-eyed sense, like omg this is amazing!!!!! I mean that in the same way that people were saying internet is the future. Electric vehicles are going to take over everything. I think the people who are pushing back on that idea might not be seeing how much electric vehicles have progressed in the last 5 years. Don’t sleep on them; if you enjoy paying $3k for a used car and fixing it up, you need to start learning electric.

Lots of things were supposed to be the future. I could write a list. I'm old enough to remember when asbestos and fiberglass were going to be the future. My folks had stuff like electric knives for carving things growing up. They're stupid. They reek of gadgetry when something simpler works better.

My little brother is a gearhead - his opinion is still if you can own a car that costs less than a thousand a year to maintain - you're way ahead of ANY new car you can buy.

Unless they make LENR cars that run damned near forever - I don't see gas going anywhere anymore than I see paper being replaced by digital. I'm amazed at how many innovations have occurred over the years and how often people will say things like - damn, you really can't beat a vinyl record. Sometimes innovation means a product that is easier to manufacture but not one that is better or cheaper to use.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What do you do with a car that has discharged and is too far from a charging station?

SamSpade

If you've ever read the Hitchhiker's Guide books, you know that Douglas Adams loves to make fun of digital watches. I agree - it mostly is reinventing the wheel. While even decades ago I remember people having cheap digital watches, you really can't beat a simple self-winding watch. They're reliable and they last.

But your attachment reminds me of a Cold War joke where a Russian diplomat arrives at the airport carrying two large bags and proceeds to brag to the American counterpart about the superior capabilities of the new Russian digital watch that does everything from taking dictation to giving the weather. The American smirks and asks if he can carry his luggage - "oh this isn't my luggage - these are the BATTERIES".

You adapt to new technology when it is better and produces more value for the dollar. My Dad worked for RCA for many years - he mentioned that it's actually TV technology that has moved incredibly over the decades - where a new color set in the 60's set you back 600 bucks for a vacuum tube dinosaur set in a wooden console - for 600 bucks today you can get a TV with incredible picture, sound quality which weighs nothing and given inflation, is VASTLY cheaper. You buy a new TV - because it's less expensive and it is better on all counts.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The oil industry and OPEC nations have a lot of money that they use to bribe US politicians. I don't see oil or gas cars going away anytime soon.

Reactions: BOP