Liberals Upset That People Enjoy Norse Movie Without Disney Levels Of Diversity

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The left-wing media has eyes rolling as they attempt to argue that the historically-, biologically-, and sociologically-accurate hit movie “The Northman” is the “kind of movie that the ‘alt-right’ loves.”

Robert Eggers-directed flick “The Northman” portrays 10th-century Viking society, a time dominated by warriors, strength, and the brutality necessary to survive frozen winters and violent summers. The plot is a “retelling of Shakespeare’s Hamlet,” and follows Alexander Skarsgård’s character as he avenges the death of his father in a classic hero’s journey.

It also provides an inherently accurate portrayal of Viking society. Skarsgård told Time that, “the goal was to try and give an accurate depiction [of the Viking Age] and go a bit deeper into the mythology. We wanted to stay away from clichés when it comes to the Vikings and actually get to know the real characters behind those clichés.”

DaSDGuy

The left-wing media has eyes rolling as they attempt to argue that the historically-, biologically-, and sociologically-accurate hit movie “The Northman” is the “kind of movie that the ‘alt-right’ loves.”

Robert Eggers-directed flick “The Northman” portrays 10th-century Viking society, a time dominated by warriors, strength, and the brutality necessary to survive frozen winters and violent summers. The plot is a “retelling of Shakespeare’s Hamlet,” and follows Alexander Skarsgård’s character as he avenges the death of his father in a classic hero’s journey.

It also provides an inherently accurate portrayal of Viking society. Skarsgård told Time that, “the goal was to try and give an accurate depiction [of the Viking Age] and go a bit deeper into the mythology. We wanted to stay away from clichés when it comes to the Vikings and actually get to know the real characters behind those clichés.”

Of course they are upset. Truth and honesty always seems to piss them off. Just like the knee-jerk panic that Musk owning Twitter is producing, because they are terrified that truth will be shared. If the left-wing media has a favorite movie, it's Minority Report.

SamSpade

Do they ever unleash their woke venom on any foreign made film for having only Asian actors - or Indian actors - or European or Latino actors?

If the objective now is to make sure to diversify everything, why not just go whole hog and forget about the story they're trying to tell, since everyone is supposed to suspend disbelief anyway?

I mean, why not make a movie about, say, the Lindbergh baby, with a gay Asian man playing Charles, and a grown trans black man playing the baby?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Do they ever unleash their woke venom on any foreign made film for having only Asian actors - or Indian actors - or European or Latino actors?

there is a British TV Series Bridgerton ? ... one of the rich aristocratic families is Black

I am 99.9 % Sure in the 1700's this was not a thing

SamSpade

Historical accuracy.
There was a person on Usenet many years ago, on one of the sci-fi newsgroups known as Cronan, which was his actual given name, but he generally posted as "Plain and Simple Cronan". This guy's posts were often tear-rendering HYSTERICALLY funny, and I so loved to see his posts, when available.

Sadly - he died very young, at 19 of Hidgkin's disease.

Anyway, he was one of the first to observe that ALL TOO OFTEN, the first person to die in a movie, especially a sci-fi movie, was always a black man. In reviews constantly on TV episodes, sometimes his opening line would be "there goes the black guy!". Since observing this TV trope there have been COUNTLESS tributes to it DELIBERATELY, sometimes in hilarious fashion - as in one parody, when the token black guy is the ONLY one that survives. On the pilot to "Andromeda" the firsr death is to a young black ensign - named Thompson.

His light burned briefly but it was very bright - I still remember someone I never met more than twenty years later - and I cried the day I heard.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Actually, "The Northman" is based on the story of Amleth, the Danish prince upon whom Shakespeare based Hamlet.

I decided not to go see it because all the screaming in the TV ad too much of the historically inaccurate TV "The Vikings" program.
I reread the original story instead.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
there is a British TV Series Bridgerton ? ... one of the rich aristocratic families is Black

How Many Black People Were in the Regency Aristocracy, Anyway?

Black Representation in the Aristocracy​

Here is where Bridgerton did take some historical liberties — the majority of the Black population in England at this time was working class. To have a TV show without the specter of racism lurking just out of frame, the writers had to create an alternate universe where racism didn’t affect our heroes’ storylines.

It let the show still be soapy and fun without getting too serious, and people of color could just enjoy seeing themselves on screen without race-related stress. It’s nice to watch people who look like you dealing with petty problems like who’s in love with who and not “my love interest doesn’t think I’m fully human.”

However, even though the real-life “Ton” was not a magically accepting and diverse place, there were actually Black people dotted throughout Britain’s upper-class.

One of the most famous examples is Dido Belle, whose story was most recently adapted for the big screen by Amma Asante in 2013’s Belle. She was born into slavery to an African woman and an English gentleman, Sir John Lindsay. However, she was raised with her cousin in the house of Lord Mansfield, a judge whose decisions helped move the country closer to abolishing slavery.

Later in the century, in the Victorian Era, Sara Forbes Bonetta was born a Yoruba princess, was sold into slavery, and through a wild sequence of events ended up sent to England, where she met the queen. Queen Victoria was so impressed with her that she raised her as her goddaughter. When Queen Victoria’s daughter Princess Alice was married, Sara was there as a guest.
Sara Forbes Bonetta in 1862. Image via Wikimedia Commons

And at the highest level, there’s been some debate over whether or not Queen Charlotte herself had enough African ancestry to be considered Black.

A small number of free Black families owned property and were wealthy enough to send their children overseas to receive an education. While Bridgerton's representation of the aristocracy might be a fantasy, the idea of Black people in the upper-crust of historical British society is not.

Smokey1

It wasn't. Apparently there was a rumor that Queen Charlotte was not all white and might have had some Moorish blood but even that has been debunked. Bridgerton is no different than Wakanda, just a wishful fantasy.