lightning bugs

softcrab

i"m reaching out to the SMIBs. We know county history. Ain't June 1 early for lightning bugs? I saw enough to tempt me out in to the yard to catch 'em.:dye:

RPMDAD

Have been noticing a lot in our yard in Huntingtown. I keep hearing they are declining, i sure hope not.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Nope, I've seen the first ones out for about a week now. I always remember them coming out in the last weeks of May.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Been about a week or two here as well since they've been out. What I miss is hearing whippoorwills every night.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Been about a week or two here as well since they've been out. What I miss is hearing whippoorwills every night.

Come visit me then and take them back with you. The loud-assed suckers have been here for a couple of weeks now. :lol:

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie

I've been hearing nothing but frogs for weeks now. They've been so loud we need to put a box fan on to sleep, even with the windows closed! Oh and the occasional bat too.

nomoney

my yard is full of frogs this year! I've always seen the one or two hopping away from the lawnmower now and then; but last night I was outside around dusk and a whole army of them came hopping out of the woods. Every where I looked was a little frog. Hopefully that means less bugs this year! :getdown:

my yard is full of frogs this year! I've always seen the one or two hopping away from the lawnmower now and then; but last night I was outside around dusk and a whole army of them came hopping out of the woods. Every where I looked was a little frog. Hopefully that means less bugs this year! :getdown:

Green frogs, or brown toads? I've had lots of toads this year.

bohman

Come visit me then and take them back with you. The loud-assed suckers have been here for a couple of weeks now. :lol:

Are those the long-tailed birds that fly around in circles at sunset? I've been wondering what those are. And what are they so pissed about that they need to be that loud? :lmao:

As for the OP, I think it partially depends on the weather. The lightning bugs seem to like heat, and the weather didn't wait around to get hot this year.

Are those the long-tailed birds that fly around in circles at sunset? I've been wondering what those are. And what are they so pissed about that they need to be that loud? :lmao:

Do they have v-shaped tails? You might be seeing purple martins. They chirp alot, but I find it pleasant, and they do great at keeping the bug population down.

The whippoorwills sing all night long and very loudly, usually right outside your bedroom window. :lol:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Do they have v-shaped tails? You might be seeing purple martins. They chirp alot, but I find it pleasant, and they do great at keeping the bug population down.

The whippoorwills sing all night long and very loudly, usually right outside your bedroom window. :lol:

I have fond memories of them singing me to sleep when I went camping in Pennsylvania as a child. I have not heard one in years. They must not hang out in central Chuck Co.

I large grouping of toads is actually called a knot or a knab. If it was frogs it would be an army.:nerd: