Lightning Bugs

koolmun

Has anyone seen any Lightning Bugs? The beginning of June is usually when they are the most prevalent. I have not seen a single bug. Is it Climate Change? The rainy Spring we had? Or is it just my neighborhood?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Has anyone seen any Lightning Bugs? The beginning of June is usually when they are the most prevalent. I have not seen a single bug. Is it Climate Change? The rainy Spring we had? Or is it just my neighborhood?
I've not seen one here in the glorious 7D as of yet, but @SailorGirl has reported seeing them in the lower part of the county for several weeks now. I've fallen into a sunrise to sunset lifestyle lately and haven't seen any so far this year.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I have seen them here too. Near SMC, across the river. Frog's Marsh. I have seen their larva in November they are glow worms.
I saw this for the first time about 15 years ago while camping near Cumberland in mid-May and thought I was hallucinating. The damn ground was glowing. I shook it off, grabbed another beer, and headed back to the campfire.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
They've been lovely across the tops of the barley field. Now that the grain is combined, they are hanging out in the trees, closer together. Looks like the trees are covered with twinkle lights!

wittykitty

It’s been too rainy, windy or cool on most days at my home, and I hadn’t seen a single firefly until last evening. It was a warm, calm evening and they finally showed up:)

TPD

the poor dad

my guess is you haven’t put blinker fluid in your lightning bug feeders yet. Or maybe you are putting black blinker fluid in them instead of green.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I found out too late, once, that if you don't punch some air holes in the jar lid in which you catch them, to illuminate the tent at night when camping, they die from lack of air. Thank goodness for flashlights.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I like seeing them to let me know they are not going the way of the honeybee, which is a life sustaining insect. God bless the insects and spiders, too.
Once was a time I nearly burned down the house with my WWll flamethrower when there was this huge nasty looking spider on the downstairs basement wall. If the wall hadn't been cinder block? Anyway .... no more spider. :shocking: