Like I need something to remind me I'm afraid of heights..

Tidewater

STERLING, Ohio (AP) -- A first-time skydiver slipped from her harness during a jump Saturday and fell to her death, authorities said.

The 44-year-old woman from West Chester, Pennsylvania, was participating in a tandem jump, her first with the AerOhio Skydiving school near Sterling, about 40 miles south of Cleveland, according to the Wayne County Sheriff's Office.

CNN.com -- 1st time skydiver

...Nope, no reminders needed here.

:smack:

willie

I've no idea at what altitude they were but she probably had a good while to be thinking about what was happening.

MMDad

Lem Putt
willie said:
I've no idea at what altitude they were but she probably had a good while to be thinking about what was happening.
Terminal velocity is around 200 fps. Best case: five seconds to look up and say "ohhh shiiiii" splat.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
forever jewel said:
That's horrible!!! lol

But seriously, that's scary!!! I've always wanted to skydive, but I'm a little nervous to even consider it! :jameo:
Today would have been the day to do it.. I mean what are the chances that TWO days in a row TWO women would die in TWO separate yet equally freakish skydiving accidents??

Vince

I have rules when I go flying. Rule no. 1: Never jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Rule no. 2: Only fart when you've got your oxygen mask on and everyone else doesn't. :biggrin:

willie

itsbob said:
Today would have been the day to do it.. I mean what are the chances that TWO days in a row TWO women would die in TWO separate yet equally freakish skydiving accidents??
Ask the second and then the third lady that got gobbled up by the alligator.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They were probably no more than 10,000...

willie said:

...feet and she had about a minute or so, at 120 mph, to think about why she was there.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...feet and she had about a minute or so, at 120 mph, to think about why she was there.
And I bet for her that was one freaking long minute or so.

Mikeinsmd

Larry Gude said:
How about the instructor who lost her? Good Gawd what must've gone through his mind. :faint:

I guess he'll be held liable too.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm still trying to figure how one would slip out of the harness unless they were nose-down when the chute opened.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
willie said:
I don't understand why anyone would want to tandem jump. What's the point?
Because you can show up and jump in a matter of an hour or two. No training to speak of, no practice, no learning how to pack your chute.. just link up and go..

I used to go to Orange Mass and watch them jump (flying Massholes).. think the Tandem jumpers leave the plane at fairly low altitude, they didn't free fall very long, and spent most of the jump under canopy.. 2000 - 2500 feet or so.. So yeah, she had some time to think about what was coming.

But it wasn't the fall that killed her, it was the piss poor landing that did her in!!

MMDad

Lem Putt
willie said:
I don't understand why anyone would want to tandem jump. What's the point?
A solo jump takes more training in order to land. On a tandem, you are only along for the ride. Much easier, faster, and cheaper. There's also a certain comfort factor if you are willing to have an "expert" take control of your destiny.

There can be only two explanations for this mishap:

1. The equipment failed - something broke.

2. Somebody didn't make sure she was strapped in/on correctly.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
itsbob said:
Because you can show up and jump in a matter of an hour or two. No training to speak of, no practice, no learning how to pack your chute.. just link up and go..

I used to go to Orange Mass and watch them jump (flying Massholes).. think the Tandem jumpers leave the plane at fairly low altitude, they didn't free fall very long, and spent most of the jump under canopy.. 2000 - 2500 feet or so.. So yeah, she had some time to think about what was coming.

But it wasn't the fall that killed her, it was the piss poor landing that did her in!!

Poor or not, I'm willing to bet she peed her pants just before she said "Oh Shaitt!!"