Listen to Angry Music and Get Happy!

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I'm teased a lot about listening to "angry music", but I'm really a nice, sweet, happy person! :biggrin:

Finding Happiness in Angry Music - Leah Sottile - The Atlantic

It’s a theory backed up in a recent study conducted by Maya Tamir and Brett Ford, researchers from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. In one study, 175 people were asked to participate in role-playing exercises where they had to either confront a person—like a cop interrogating a suspect—or collaborate with someone. But before the role-playing began, the subjects were allowed to choose from a selection of music to aid in evoking the emotions they would need: Anger, happiness, or neutrality. It was up to them to choose what they wanted to hear. “Music is often used as a way to manipulate emotions, I just had people decide how to manipulate their own emotions,” Tamir says.

The subjects were also asked questions about their emotional health, happiness, and feelings of social support.

It’s no novel idea that someone might choose to rev themselves up with aggressive music before a engaging in a tough task: A fourth quarter tie-breaker, a tense salary negotiation. And no surprise, the folks who chose angry music had no problem completing their tasks.

But Tamir also found that the people who chose to be pissed off actually showed a greater sense of well-being overall than the people who avoided feelings of unpleasantness.

musiclady

When I was going to St. Mary's College, I would blast Metallica on the drive from Calvert to college to improve my mood. Once I got to school, I felt better and wasn't angry anymore. People didn't believe me at the time that listening to angry music made me feel better. I didn't care, I just knew it worked.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But Tamir also found that the people who chose to be pissed off actually showed a greater sense of well-being overall than the people who avoided feelings of unpleasantness.

Vigorous exercise makes me feel better. A lusty roll in the hay, likewise. Hard, physical labor, at the end of the day, I'm at peace.

It has long stood to reason to me that heavy duty music cleansed the mind just as the body does well with some force and violence. Frankly, it terrifies me people that DON'T have a mental outlet. Keeping that much in, rationalizing the irrational, no venting, no spewing, man, THAT has got to be bad for you.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
"But Tamir also found that the people who chose to be pissed off actually showed a greater sense of well-being overall than the people who avoided feelings of unpleasantness."

Perfect description (those who avoid unpleasantness) of the standard liberal - kum-bai-yah, huggy/feely, "it's for the chir-wrens", wring their hands, etc. - liberal. Those peeps are the most unhappy, sullen people anywhere on the planet.

Severa

Common sense ain't common

Starts off pretty, then launches into face-melting mode. Probably my favorite Metallica song of all.

As far as "angry music" yup that's me as well. I was telling Mom about the Korn concert I went to back in May and I described it to her as basically "Angry obnoxious music" I listen to a wide mix of metal/classic rock/old school country/old school rap but I notice that I gravitate toward the "angry music" when I'm not in a good mood.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Question for you chicks; what do you actually feel when you listen to a favorite heavy duty toon??? I've often wondered how women experience metal or an enormous classical piece.

:popcorn:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Question for you chicks; what do you actually feel when you listen to a favorite heavy duty toon??? I've often wondered how women experience metal or an enormous classical piece.

:popcorn:

That's hard to describe.

I like to drive as well so when life is getting stressful and I'm tempted to lash out I drive and crank up the extreme metal. I feel angry with an attitude; however, when I'm done with my self-therapy head-banging session I'm a woman who has a smile on her face. I guess you could say it makes me feel alive and in control again. This is the reason why I listen to metal on my way to work in the morning -- I'm able to soldier on and face the day.

I listen to classical when I'm contemplating the wonders of life. In my bathtub with scented candles looking out the window watching the wildlife. Even if it's a powerful and intense piece ala Mozart, it makes me feel appreciative of the life I have and the world I live in. You would think I'd get the same response as when listening to angry metal, but I don't. Perhaps it's electrified distortion in the music that makes the difference.