Little kids and horsies...

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!

Awful story, this is why I'm such a nut about the kids not ever being in the pasture or around the horses or ponies in anyway unless both of us adults are there. My husband thinks I'm paranoid but I laid down the law. One person can't control a 2 year old, a 3 year old, and a horse effectively. Even the gentlest of horses can startle at the piercing scream of a toddler. Hell, my "bombproof" horse almost dumped me today spooking over Gawd-knows-what. Now I have a lovely fist sized bruise on my inner thigh from the pommel and have aggravated my back again. :mad:

mingiz

Horse Poor
What gets me is that the parents are after the horse and owner. For one thing there little girl shouldn't have been so close to be kicked and the parents are at fault for not making sure that the girl was out of harms way. But as usuall they always blame it on the animal. I wish for a good recovery for the little girl. The parents need a wake up call.

devinej

they were at a HORSE SHOW. geez. horses kick! didn't anyone ever tell them that!?? the parents should be arrested for child neglect!

hopefully nebraska has that horses are dangerous liability limitations law. geez, people drive me crazy sometimes.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
That's happened locally too, only the girl wasn't so little. Oakridge, last year. I wish they wouldn't blame the horse. :frown:

Wait4It..boom

I have a 4 and 2 year old and the thought of one of my kids getting kicked scares me to death. Those with horses and small kids at your home- what types of things do you do to instill that 'healthy fear' into your kids?
I purposefully don't take either of my toddlers to horse shows because each of them can get away from me in a flash. If I did take one of them, I'd be the person that had my kid in a harness aka leash!

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I have a 4 and 2 year old and the thought of one of my kids getting kicked scares me to death. Those with horses and small kids at your home- what types of things do you do to instill that 'healthy fear' into your kids?
I purposefully don't take either of my toddlers to horse shows because each of them can get away from me in a flash. If I did take one of them, I'd be the person that had my kid in a harness aka leash!

I have a two and a four year old... when we're in the barn and I'm turning out or bringing in, I put them in the hayloft/studio upstairs or have them sit in the tack room until all animals are put away. Even if it's just one horse, accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. You just can't take any chances. As for instilling fear, I have no idea other than exposing them to the horses from a healthy distance. And continue to teach them respect and caution for them as they get older.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
That's happened locally too, only the girl wasn't so little. Oakridge, last year. I wish they wouldn't blame the horse. :frown:

Yes, it was the Summer or Fall of 07'. When she came running up to the ring crying. No one knew what had happened at first. Glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been. All the horses did amazingly well when the helicopter landed. So many people jumped into action to help her. :yay: