Liz Cheney leads 10 Republicans who voted to impeach trump

Hijinx

“I’m not going anywhere,” she tells me in the Capitol. Maybe not this year Liz, but I doubt you will be back in 2022

Cheney rebuffed calls for her to resign or be ousted from her position in House Republican leadership.

Toss her ass out of her position and move her office into the basement.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and several other republicans on the House wants her head on a pike.

SamSpade

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can't recall someone elected to a national office such as President, VP, Senator or Representative - that they can only be removed by impeachment, voted out or expelled for various reasons.

Does seem kind of wrong, doesn't it? Isn't the whole purpose of federalism - the idea that we are a nation of states rather than a contiguous mass of a country pointlessly divided by state borders - and a person chosen to go to Washington to represent them cannot be removed by their constituents - or their state government?

SamSpade

“I’m not going anywhere,” she tells me in the Capitol. Maybe not this year Liz, but I doubt you will be back in 2022

Cheney rebuffed calls for her to resign or be ousted from her position in House Republican leadership.

Toss her ass out of her position and move her office into the basement.

She "lead" 5% of House Republicans. Trivial - but the Dems always fall in line - it's only the GOP that capitulates for stuff like this.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If that sentiment holds over the next two years, she might get primaried.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
She "lead" 5% of House Republicans. Trivial - but the Dems always fall in line - it's only the GOP that capitulates for stuff like this.
That desire to be "liked" by the left, if only for a moment.

McCain Syndrome.

SamSpade

That desire to be "liked" by the left, if only for a moment.

McCain Syndrome.

I've never fully understood this - I've always known people who would go to ridiculous extremes to be liked by the "cool kids".

But the wish to be liked by the left has been shown to be fruitless - Specter is a good example. Switched to the Democrats - welcomeed with open arms - and then they primaried him out. They never wanted HIM - they wanted his seat. Once he was out, they tried to put one of their own in his place (BTW - it failed).

No, it never works to your benefit to be a RINO. You'll never be one of them.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can't recall someone elected to a national office such as President, VP, Senator or Representative - that they can only be removed by impeachment, voted out or expelled for various reasons.

Does seem kind of wrong, doesn't it? Isn't the whole purpose of federalism - the idea that we are a nation of states rather than a contiguous mass of a country pointlessly divided by state borders - and a person chosen to go to Washington to represent them cannot be removed by their constituents - or their state government?
I've been doing some reading on this. Yes, it is not explicitly called out in the Constitution although some states supposedly allow it. One piece stated that the ability of the people to recall elected officials preceded the Constitution. And if it preceded the Constitution, then the Constitution could not prohibit it.

It is likely one of those things that's never made it to SCOTUS before, and would be worthy of their review. Maybe our resident SCOTUS expert @Tilted can chime in.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
One piece stated that the ability of the people to recall elected officials preceded the Constitution. And if it preceded the Constitution, then the Constitution could not prohibit it.
Justice Story said, “the states can exercise no powers whatsoever, which exclusively spring out of the existence of the national government, which the constitution does not delegate to them .... No state can say, that is has reserved, what it never possessed."

I've been doing some reading on this. Yes, it is not explicitly called out in the Constitution although some states supposedly allow it. One piece stated that the ability of the people to recall elected officials preceded the Constitution. And if it preceded the Constitution, then the Constitution could not prohibit it.

It is likely one of those things that's never made it to SCOTUS before, and would be worthy of their review. Maybe our resident SCOTUS expert @Tilted can chime in.
A State can't recall a member of Congress. The Constitution sets the lengths of terms for Representatives and Senators, and states can't alter them any more than they can change the substantive qualifications for those offices. So, a state can't, e.g., reduce the length of a Senator's term to 3 years and it can't, e.g., require a Senator to have lived in the state for 5 years or prohibit a convicted felon from being a Senator.

It's also generally accepted that members of Congress can't be impeached (or, at least, removed by impeachment conviction) as they aren't considered "civil officers of the United States."

They can, however, be expelled with the vote of 2/3rds of the members of their respective house of Congress.