Local alternator rebuilding/rewinding?

glhs837

Power with Control
SO, looks like the Samurais alt has crapped out. Got a spare on the old bad engine which I'll slap on tomorrow. BUt I'm wondering if there are any shops local that rewind altes for a bit more juice. The stockers like 35 amps and if I can get one with more juice for the same or not much more money, that might be the plan.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
SO, looks like the Samurais alt has crapped out. Got a spare on the old bad engine which I'll slap on tomorrow. BUt I'm wondering if there are any shops local that rewind altes for a bit more juice. The stockers like 35 amps and if I can get one with more juice for the same or not much more money, that might be the plan.

Why not get a swap bracket and then wire up any GM 2 wire?

glhs837

Power with Control
Rather not pay for the bracket and then deal with the wiring changes. Might change in the future, but right now I'm trying to keep it simple and stock.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Rather not pay for the bracket and then deal with the wiring changes. Might change in the future, but right now I'm trying to keep it simple and stock.

Simple and stock will most likely leave you with that same measly 40 amp alternator, This swap bracket (for about $25) will allow for installing a Delco 10 SI or 12 SI which should suit your need and should be readily available at most junkyards as they were found on just about every GM from '73 to '85.

As to the wiring, salvage a standard GM pig-tail and cut off your Samurai plug, connect the red wire from the GM alternator pig-tail to the alternators positive output, connect the white/red wire on the Samurai Harness to the white wire from the GM alternator pig-tail, and connect the positive output on the alternator to the battery with a replacement larger gauge battery cable.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Shops that rebuilt starters and alternators pretty much went the way of the dinosaur. Cheseldine's, in Lex Park, shut down..what?..20 years ago? More?

You can buy replacement and upgrade alternators brand new on the internet for peanuts these days and remans for even less...and that put the local reman shops out of business.

Ken's advice is the way to go...and you can buy the pigtails new at any Advance, AutoZone etc for little of nothing.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Wengers on Bishops rd. in Loveville does rewindings.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Yeah, they did when I was back in that area too, but to up amp the alternator you would have to increase windings (wire size and number of turns), deal with clearances, new cooling demands within a stock casing, probably need to shrink the pulley to up rpm the alternator. Swap kit and better alternator is the way to go.

glhs837

Power with Control
Thank goodness for this, son was installing a new alt in his project 96 XJ and twisted one of the small studs off.

glhs837

Power with Control
Stopped by, very nice. Said the part would be in the $5-6 dollar range, $10-15 labor. Beats the hell out of buying a new $90 alternator. Going to take the old frozen one up when we pick this one up and see about rewinding it.