Local butchers and deer processing places?

Chrystee

Anyone know where I can find either? My dogs are fed raw and I'm looking for castoffs that they may not want (kidneys, lungs, heart, legs, etc).

Thanks!

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Anyone know where I can find either? My dogs are fed raw and I'm looking for castoffs that they may not want (kidneys, lungs, heart, legs, etc).

Thanks!

You really feed your dogs raw meats? Never heard of that in todays world

Roman

I feed mine raw too, along with a good Dry Food. If you are going to look for a Butcher around here in Calvert County, Dan Baker in St Leonard is someone you can call. I don't have the number right now.

Chrystee

Actually, I feed my dogs the prey model diet. The husky in my profile was raised this way from the breeder also.

General Lee

It may be hard to get that stuff from a butcher. Most deer they receive come already gutted by the hunter. Get with a hunter you know and have them save the organs for you.

bulldog

My dog gets the heart and liver from every deer I kill. She also gets leg bones with scraps of meat left on them for her.
However, she does not get any of it raw. I grill the heart and liver and give that to her in small doses with her regular dog food.
The leg bones I freeze for at least 30 days and then grill them to cook the scrap meat before giving it to her. The whole freezing thing was the request of our vet. Not sure if it's really required or not, but she's the vet so I listen.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Thanks!
You might try the funny farm in Callaway, across the road from bear creek BBQ, she sells grain fed beef from her own farm. You'll have to talk to her ahead of time since she takes the cows down the road for slaughter.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My dog gets the heart and liver from every deer I kill. She also gets leg bones with scraps of meat left on them for her.
However, she does not get any of it raw. I grill the heart and liver and give that to her in small doses with her regular dog food.
The leg bones I freeze for at least 30 days and then grill them to cook the scrap meat before giving it to her. The whole freezing thing was the request of our vet. Not sure if it's really required or not, but she's the vet so I listen.
Not a bad idea, it's the same thing they do for most sushi to kill any parasites.
Sushi Fresh From the Deep . . . the Deep Freeze - NYTimes.com

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch

Only reason I asked is a family member had to put a dog down because it killed chickens (twice) first time we said WTF is going on, 2nd time we knew. Once it tasted the blood I was gonna keep happening, maybe it was because he knew where the taste came from since he killed the chickens himself. In any event I didn't know people feed their animals raw meat anymore. We give our dog "scraps" from butchering a deer but we always cook it.