Local trainer recommendations?

ebs

I am looking for someone to help me with my 11-year-old QH mare who has developed some issues this spring. I know I am not knowledgeable or experienced enough to do it myself. She is getting very panicky about being tied/ having pressure on her poll and is rearing. Getting her off a trailer has also become a nightmare because she freaks out. If you don't give in to her, she comes back right away - she's not mean, and she doesn't keep doing it, but it's like her first reaction is to pop up, there's no small or medium reaction, only the big-time reaction. I have a vet/chiropractor coming out to see her to rule out anything physical. I was wondering if there is anyone local (Southern MD) that anyone has experience with and would recommend to help work with her? It would be nice to have someone come to my barn (Valley Lee) but sending her to the trainer would also be an option. Thank you for any suggestions!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am looking for someone to help me with my 11-year-old QH mare who has developed some issues this spring. I know I am not knowledgeable or experienced enough to do it myself. She is getting very panicky about being tied/ having pressure on her poll and is rearing. Getting her off a trailer has also become a nightmare because she freaks out. If you don't give in to her, she comes back right away - she's not mean, and she doesn't keep doing it, but it's like her first reaction is to pop up, there's no small or medium reaction, only the big-time reaction. I have a vet/chiropractor coming out to see her to rule out anything physical. I was wondering if there is anyone local (Southern MD) that anyone has experience with and would recommend to help work with her? It would be nice to have someone come to my barn (Valley Lee) but sending her to the trainer would also be an option. Thank you for any suggestions!

My mare used to break halters & lead ropes almost every time I tied her until I got that tie ring that Clinton Anderson was promoting. The tie ring gives some slack so they don't feel as confined. Honestly I have it around here somewhere and you're welcome to have it because I don't need it anymore.

For the trailer loading issue, I have a VHS tape (yeah don't laugh) you could also have if I can find it and IF you have a VHS player LOL) that will help you with trailer loading. My mare also had THAT problem and I finally worked her out of it using that tape and a few other tips from people.

Now I can tie my mare and leave her for hours with no problem and load her any time. I'm not very experienced either but I used the training aids and the video to help me BUT if you can get a trainer that's even better. If you want the tie ring let me know and I'll look for it.

C

campinmutt

Joe Crandel 410 533 8818.he is in deale ,md and he will come to you. he helped me with a horse that was terrified of the trailer...did a great job.

calgirl

I would recommend Chrissy Long. She's in Valley Lee and can come to your barn or she can come to you. Very experienced with the issues you mentioned. She's a natural horsemanship trainer. Has trained MANY horses including her own blind paint horse. You can reach her at 240-434-2348. Either way, I hope everything works out for your horse!

calgirl

I would recommend Chrissy Long. She's in Valley Lee and can come to your barn or she can come to you. Very experienced with the issues you mentioned. She's a natural horsemanship trainer. Has trained MANY horses including her own blind paint horse. You can reach her at 240-434-2348. Either way, I hope everything works out for your horse!

Lol! I meant she can come to your barn or you can go to hers! Sorry about that!

wildheartwest

horsetrainer/farrier
trainer

I can definitely help you. I have been training horses for over 35 years. Staying in Lexington Park and would LOVE to help. My cell is 94-628-0169 Paulette

Aggalise

My mare used to break halters & lead ropes almost every time I tied her until I got that tie ring that Clinton Anderson was promoting. The tie ring gives some slack so they don't feel as confined. Honestly I have it around here somewhere and you're welcome to have it because I don't need it anymore.

Hi- if this lady doesnt take the tie ring, I would be willing to buy it. Pls email me at joholskir@yahoo.com.THANKS

ebs

Thanks for the information! Right now everything is going really really well. Julie Devine - who is awesome - got my crazy girl to go like a lady on the lunge and in side reins and to stop acting like a fool. Kathy DeAngelis at Rideaway Training Farm helped me with the trailering issue. So (knock on wood) no rearing, no bucking, no panicking this fall. I feel like I have my horse back. Thank you to everyone who provided suggestions. I hope I won't need them in the future, but we shall see how next spring goes!