Looking for a Camera Recommendation

In the market for a DSLR, don't want to spend a fortune. Looking at the Canon EOS Rebel series, all got very good reviews in Consumer Reports, but they didn't get into much detail.

Basic requirements: decent battery life, easy lens interchange. The T3i has decent reviews, rated better then the T4i, both in the price ballpark.

Does anyone have some real world experience with the Canon EOS, pros/cons, weird software glitches, reason I should look at something else?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You think bike guys are bad.. get Nikon and Canon owners together..

Nikon is by far the better camera BTW....

corollinout

Comparing Canon to Nikon is a lot like comparing Chevy to Ford. It's all in the preferences. Photography is not about the camera or the maker.

I handle Nikons every day, but I wouldn't own one. I currently have 2 Canon DSLRs. My preferences in the Canon is it is a lot more user friendly. I can control both of my cameras without having to take my eye away from the view finder, and I can control them with just one hand. My experience with Nikon is the controls are on both sides of the body, where Canon has the more popular setting adjustment controls on just one side. My T3, which is a little bit of a lesser version of the T3i, has captured a lot of my more popular photographs. It doesn't have the biggest sensor, nor does it handle low light very well, but it still did the job.

Both makers are about the same to change out the lenses. Just one push of a button and turn it.

C

czygvtwkr

The cheaper canon lenses have ends that move, meaning if you are using a polarizer its a pain.

You think bike guys are bad.. get Nikon and Canon owners together..

Nikon is by far the better camera BTW....
:lol: Yeah, I'm sure. And while a lot of folks might agree with you, that's not exactly empirical data now, is it? But Nikon was also on the short list.

Comparing Canon to Nikon is a lot like comparing Chevy to Ford. It's all in the preferences. Photography is not about the camera or the maker.

I handle Nikons every day, but I wouldn't own one. I currently have 2 Canon DSLRs. My preferences in the Canon is it is a lot more user friendly. I can control both of my cameras without having to take my eye away from the view finder, and I can control them with just one hand. My experience with Nikon is the controls are on both sides of the body, where Canon has the more popular setting adjustment controls on just one side. My T3, which is a little bit of a lesser version of the T3i, has captured a lot of my more popular photographs. It doesn't have the biggest sensor, nor does it handle low light very well, but it still did the job.

Both makers are about the same to change out the lenses. Just one push of a button and turn it.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanx. While I'm not ever going to be pro again, there is no need to fight the camera.

The cheaper canon lenses have ends that move, meaning if you are using a polarizer its a pain.
This is good. I'll keep an eye out for that while I'm looking. Thanx.

In days gone by, my goto camera was a Mamiya Sekor. Did some nice work with that one. The screw-on lenses were a pain tho. I got away from SLRs when the digital age took hold and went with point-shoot for a long time. I'm just tired of trying to frame a picture in the daylight with an LCD you cannot see, and the viewfinder cameras just don't do it for me.

Thanx for the inputs. Any more info, keep it coming!

DEEKAYPEE8569

In the market for a DSLR, don't want to spend a fortune. Looking at the Canon EOS Rebel series, all got very good reviews in Consumer Reports, but they didn't get into much detail.

Basic requirements: decent battery life, easy lens interchange. The T3i has decent reviews, rated better then the T4i, both in the price ballpark.

Does anyone have some real world experience with the Canon EOS, pros/cons, weird software glitches, reason I should look at something else?

Is this a 'money-no-object' want? Because Nikon does have some pretty fancy-schmancy shall we say 'beginners' cameras.'

Well, the T4i is discontinued already, replaced with the T5i. Reviews are mixed, but it offers better performance than the T3i and T4i and a higher price.

The most discouraging review said the camera logic is pretty much outdated and other cameras are surpassing it. Considering I'm working with a point-shoot that's 6 years old, the features are light years ahead of my expectations! :lol:

I've never been thrilled with Nikon, with the exception of my Nikonis II and III.

I have more research to do.....

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Well, the T4i is discontinued already, replaced with the T5i. Reviews are mixed, but it offers better performance than the T3i and T4i and a higher price.

The most discouraging review said the camera logic is pretty much outdated and other cameras are surpassing it. Considering I'm working with a point-shoot that's 6 years old, the features are light years ahead of my expectations! :lol:

I've never been thrilled with Nikon, with the exception of my Nikonis II and III.

I have more research to do.....

I got the T3i in January... I like it for what I need it to do. I did want to go with a Nikon but seeing that I already had a DSLR Canon I didnt have to purchase all new lenses.

If you would like to take my camera for a test drive ...just lemme know

I do have a Nikon film camera that still works very well.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
:killingme

at least we all know GW is not that kinda guy.... he is the nicest man i know!!! :buddies:

so whatcha saying is that he's not gonna use the camera to take pictures of the test drive. :whistle:
:lol:

I've always thought about gettin a DSLR to get better quality pics, but I don't know much about photography. Don't really know if I can justify the cost since I really wouldn't be using the camera up to it's fullest capabilities. So, I stick wit the point and shoot.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
so whatcha saying is that he's not gonna use the camera to take pictures of the test drive. :whistle:
:lol:

I've always thought about gettin a DSLR to get better quality pics, but I don't know much about photography. Don't really know if I can justify the cost since I really wouldn't be using the camera up to it's fullest capabilities. So, I stick wit the point and shoot.

:nono:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I got the T3i in January... I like it for what I need it to do. I did want to go with a Nikon but seeing that I already had a DSLR Canon I didnt have to purchase all new lenses.

If you would like to take my camera for a test drive ...just lemme know

I do have a Nikon film camera that still works very well.

I've got a NIKON F3 with a slew of Cokin Filteres.. bought in 1981. battery needs replaced but still works like a champ!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Like Bugs Bunny said.... "She don't know me very well, do she?"

Welcome to the Dark Side... I have cookies...:evil:

I know you have a "fun" side... just not a creepy side :killingme

but if you would like to check it out.. .lemme know

Jameo

What?!
I got the canon t4i a couple months ago. Wasn't the camera I was originally looking at, but the NEX had a really good sale in it. I'm very happy with the camera. Works great for the variety of things I shoot with it.