Looking for a dress..

Cowgirl

I am going to a wedding on October 6th in Vermont, so it may be slightly chilly. The wedding is going to be outside. The ceremony is at 2:30pm, and the reception going to be held outside in a tent.

What length dress would be appropriate? I will probably get a pair of flats, because we may have to walk...and since it's outside, heels will probably sink into the ground. Should I look for a long-sleeved dress? 3/4 sleeves? Should I get a wrap?

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
I would get a mid length dress a little above your knees, and I would get a sweater or wrap to wear around it in case you get hot or cold you can add/ remove layers.

SoMDGirl42

might I suggest you dress like an Eskimo for the wedding? I lived in Maine for 4 years, trust me, chilly isn't the right description for the beginning of October up north.

I would def. chose something warm with a jacket, wrap etc. If by chance it does warm up to chilly, you can remove the jacket, wrap.

Tina2001aniT

Cowgirl said:
I am going to a wedding on October 6th in Vermont, so it may be slightly chilly. The wedding is going to be outside. The ceremony is at 2:30pm, and the reception going to be held outside in a tent.

What length dress would be appropriate? I will probably get a pair of flats, because we may have to walk...and since it's outside, heels will probably sink into the ground. Should I look for a long-sleeved dress? 3/4 sleeves? Should I get a wrap?

I would think that October 6th in Vermont would be a little more than chilly, but COLD!! Don't take my word for it. Here is the averages for Burlington.

http://countrystudies.us/united-states/weather/vermont/burlington.htm

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
For October I'd go with a mid calf length dress and I'd forgo 3/4 or long sleeves and go for a wrap as you can take it off/put it on as you need to.

Cowgirl

SoMDGirl42 said:
might I suggest you dress like an Eskimo for the wedding? I lived in Maine for 4 years, trust me, chilly isn't the right description for the beginning of October up north.

I would def. chose something warm with a jacket, wrap etc. If by chance it does warm up to chilly, you can remove the jacket, wrap.

Nah...I lived in Vermont. It wasn't that cold in October. December/January, yes. :lol:

jenbengen

Watch it
MLGTS08 said:
I would get a mid length dress a little above your knees, and I would get a sweater or wrap to wear around it in case you get hot or cold you can add/ remove layers.

I agree- you can always take the wrap on and off. You are stuck with the long sleeves if it gets hot. I think just above the knee is a good length for an outside wedding. A longer dress may get dirty while walking. Heels can definitely be dangerous- it is no fun to walk in sinking grass or along a road with lots of cracks in heels! LOL

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Cowgirl said:

Check the weather averages, but I'd definitely go for long sleeves. It doesn't sound too formal, but it is later in the afternoon - so I'd look for a short length jacket to wear with your dress (very darling). And, even with tents, most have a covered walkway, but who knows. You can carry a "runway" bag to the reception with camera and flats in tow if you want to wear "taller" shoes for the ceremony and such.

Sounds awesome!

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
I'd wear a pretty, feminine pants-suit (professional in nature but passable for a wedding), with a jacket. Better to be warm and forgettably dressed than all rocked out in a cocktail gown and shivering the whole night.

Cowgirl

Oh, and any colors to avoid? I'll probably look for a burgundyish dress...but in case I can't find one....

Thanks...I don't dress up all that often....and none of my other friends have gotten married yet! I was in my sister's wedding, but I was maid of honor, so my dress was picked out for me! :lol:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Cowgirl said:
Oh, and any colors to avoid? I'll probably look for a burgundyish dress...but in case I can't find one....

Thanks...I don't dress up all that often....and none of my other friends have gotten married yet! I was in my sister's wedding, but I was maid of honor, so my dress was picked out for me! :lol:
Marriage is a celebration! Wear vibrant fall colors! I, personally, would avoid terminal black (all black, that is) and shades of white, cream, etc...

Cowgirl

virgovictoria said:
Marriage is a celebration! Wear vibrant fall colors! I, personally, would avoid terminal black (all black, that is) and shades of white, cream, etc...

That's what I was thinking!

Cowgirl

Here's where the wedding will be. I'm so excited to go back for a visit. It's going to be absolutely beautiful...perfect leaf-timing!! :biggrin:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Cowgirl said:

Shoot, you're from MD, dress the part..

Leather mini, boots with 4 inch spike heels. and a halter top.. you got to represent..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cowgirl said:
Oh, and any colors to avoid?
Avoid white (that's the bride's color) and black (which is for funerals). Don't get so dolled up that you upstage the bride. All eyes should be on her.

Cowgirl

vraiblonde said:
Avoid white (that's the bride's color) and black (which is for funerals). Don't get so dolled up that you upstage the bride. All eyes should be on her.

:yay: I'm not an attention whore. :lol:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Stacey and Clinton will tell you to find something that is at knee-length. Anything longer and it will make you appear shorter. :smile:

Cowgirl

Nickel said:
I'd wear something like this. Something that skims the knee with a very short sleeve. You can layer with a shrug or wrap.

I like that one. I'd love to find an empire waist dress. So far I'm having a little trouble finding one I like that's priced right for my budget. I'd like to keep in on the inexpensive side since I have to get a gift, plus travel and lodging costs. The one you showed was priced reasonably though! :yay: